Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about cPanel solo license?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think about cPanel solo license?

Hello guys.
I've registered cPanel marketing newsletter list, and do some survey which get latest info about cPanel.
And now cPanel introduce cPanel solo to hosting market.

You can view their marketing email here :
app.scsend.com/?q=email/view/14Z4w3NPNGTYc2FO26E8FetSSfWhCvAK3gyhSM1fejTq4

or their pricing page : https://store.cpanel.net/view/cpanel/license-options

It cost $15/month :/

Why not $7/month for solo license?

Comments

• solairesolaire Member
    edited March 2018

Waste of money, unless you actually make use of some of it's unique features.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I would guess license sellers like buycpanel will be selling it cheaper just like VPS licenses. In that case it'll probably be useful for some.

• jhjh Member

I've been trying to find useful information on it for a while. It's it just cPanel/WHM limited to 1 account or are there other differences?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

jh said: I've been trying to find useful information on it for a while. It's it just cPanel/WHM limited to 1 account or are there other differences?

>

Limited to 1 cPanel account and some removed/modified interfaces:
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/cPanel+Solo+License

Thanked by 4Aidan jh FHR vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

it would only make sense if deployed on a dedicated, for a VPS, full, unlimited provider license is likely to be cheaper

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I don't get it, frankly.

For a VPS, the VPS license is cheaper.

For a dedicated server, the VPS is cheaper.

So what is the point of a solo license? Just use the VPS license.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

raindog308 said: So what is the point of a solo license? Just use the VPS license.

I imagine if you have a beefy server that you want as a bare metal, that does some big magento store or something alike and is dedicated only to this project, plus your web devs need to have cPanel much, this could be the option for them.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I only see it really being beneficial for those using cPanel on a dedicated server with a single website.

• nepsneps Member

raindog308 said: For a VPS, the VPS license is cheaper.

Solo license is $5 cheaper monthly than VPS I think.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • neps said: Solo license is $5 cheaper monthly than VPS I think.

maybe it should be $5/month for this license, not $5 cheaper monthly than vps

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • jhjh Member

Meh. Dumb idea.

Thanked by 2Clouvider WebProject
  • nepsneps Member

ariq01 said: maybe it should be $5/month for this license, not $5 cheaper monthly than vps

I don't know about $5, but yeah $15 does sound steep.

• @MikeA said:
    I would guess license sellers like buycpanel will be selling it cheaper just like VPS licenses. In that case it'll probably be useful for some.

Only issue is that they have no plans on offering it to their partners or distributors at this stage from what they told me when I asked

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

pointless waste of money. The dedicated licence pointless too, who stop you to setup one big VPS on one dedicated server?

Thanked by 1sarah
  • adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Why spend $15 for a single account when you can get unlimited accounts for $20?

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • NomadNomad Member

Totally worthless POS. Other than getting a panel for an account, paying cpanel that much for that much is utterly stupid. At least for me.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • jhjh Member

WebProject said: The dedicated licence pointless too, who stop you to setup one big VPS on one dedicated server?

IIRC the agreement for internal licences prohibits this (you're supposed to have >3 VPSs on it or something).. that said it's still cheaper to get an external licence than solo

They're obviously trying to copy Plesk's approach of a cheaper option for Joe Bloggs who has a couple of personal sites on his own server. That makes sense but it has to be genuinely cheaper and ideally, it should not just be the regular product with stupid limitations superimposed, it should be something that's easy for Joe Bloggs to use for his 2 sites.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Clouvider said: I imagine if you have a beefy server that you want as a bare metal, that does some big magento store or something alike and is dedicated only to this project, plus your web devs need to have cPanel much, this could be the option for them.

Ah, but if you need some external help for your big magento store and would like the contracted help to have limited access you'd be unable to with the solo licence - Single user and all.

It seems like a very niche product.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Just hope they're not planning to increase the VPS license....

• @WSCallum said:
    I only see it really being beneficial for those using cPanel on a dedicated server with a single website.

you don't say?

• Should have been limited to 10 accounts and had been $10 for vps or $15 for dedi

• Price too high. Webuzo on the other hand provides almost all the same features for 2.5$/month as single user panel.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

Better to use webuzo

• @jh said:
    IIRC the agreement for internal licences prohibits this (you're supposed to have >3 VPSs on it or something)..

Meh, still can make two idle 128MB VPS and a big one. Unless the license states you need to use cPanel on all of the 3 VPSes.

Thanked by 2Junkless webcraft
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

In starting they try to sell under $7/mo but later they changed price to $15 because of I think lot of people start migrating to Solo ;)

• When I last saw it mentioned, the price was cheaper, so it was good for those who fit in that specific category. Not really a wide spread one though.

• I see potential in this license type - but the pricing still needs some works and partners definitely need to be able to sell it.

• or use Virtualmin and donate one-time to their PayPal, whatever you can spare.

It's really all you need for 99% of 'solo' scenarios.

• LeeLee Veteran

Loving the LET narrow mindedness.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2018

@jh said:

WebProject said: The dedicated licence pointless too, who stop you to setup one big VPS on one dedicated server?

IIRC the agreement for internal licences prohibits this (you're supposed to have >3 VPSs on it or something)..

There is no such prohibition. @WebProject is correct.

http://www.vpsadvice.com/buy-a-vps-license-for-your-cpanel-dedi/