Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assigning more IPv6 to a interface
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Assigning more IPv6 to a interface

GunterGunter Member
edited September 2013 in Help

I setup the Hurricane Electric IPv6 over IPv4 Tunnel with my own /48, but I'm having some issue assigning more than 1 IPv6 address to an interface using the standard example configurations (while modifying the netmask and example IPv6 to my assigned /48 subnet).

How does one add more more IPv6 Addresses (or preferably, an entire /64 subnet) onto a network interface?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

preferably, an entire /64 subnet

That's certainly a very smart and well-thought-out idea, I assume you also have 274877906944 gigabytes of RAM to store all the IPs in a /64?

Other than that, which OS are you using, and how/where do you set up your tunnel?

You can always add an additional IP to an interface via:

ip -6 addr add 2001:db8::blah/128 dev ethX

What's left for you is only to figure out how to get that to execute right after you create your tunnel. E.g. in debian's /etc/network/interfaces you can use an "up" line in the interface definition block.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited September 2013

@rm_ said:
    What's left for you is only to figure out how to get that to execute right after you create your tunnel. E.g. in debian's /etc/network/interfaces you can use an "up" line in the interface definition block.

I don't ever remember having a unused /64 block requiring a million gigabytes of ram, but ok?

Elaborate?

edited September 2013

I don't ever remember having a unused /64 block requiring a million gigabytes of ram, but ok?

Assigned to an interface != "unused". You can't assign the whole block, only individual IPs from it. Assigning all IPs would require the above-mentioned amount of RAM.

Elaborate?

Answer my question first?

• @rm_ said:
    Answer my question first?

Actually, to be honest, I was completely negligent of the fact that using a entire /64 block would require a million gigs of ram.

edited September 2013

I mean... if you want me to

Elaborate

i.e. give you exact instructions on how to configure additional IPs, you will need to answer my initial question first, which was:

which OS are you using, and how/where do you set up your tunnel?

• I assumed it was the other question, but the answer to your current one is:

Debian 7 x32 DigitalOcean Image, Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel Broker.

edited September 2013

tunnelbroker.net in their "Example configurations" provides a setup for Debian/Ubuntu, you add that to /etc/network/interfaces:

auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
            address 2001:470:xxx:xxx::2
            netmask 64
            endpoint [ip]
            local [ip]
            ttl 255
            gateway 2001:470:xxx:xxx::1
            up ip -6 addr add 2001:470:yyyy::1/128 dev he-ipv6
            up ip -6 addr add 2001:470:yyyy::2/128 dev he-ipv6
            up ip -6 addr add 2001:470:yyyy::3/128 dev he-ipv6
            up ip -6 addr add 2001:470:yyyy::4/128 dev he-ipv6
            up ip -6 addr add 2001:470:yyyy::5/128 dev he-ipv6

Last 5 lines is how you can add more IPs, 2001:470:yyyy:: in this case would be your /48.
    After editing that file you just do

ifdown he-ipv6
    ifup he-ipv6
  • it's a little hard to suggest how to alocate the ip, if we don't know the os you use:)

do you use centos/debian?

rm_ is always helping me when i have problem asigning ipv6, spirit is also helpfull too :)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited September 2013

Everything appears to work. Thanks @rm_ !

But out of curiosity, I assigned myself a /120 to the interface.

But I'm having trouble determining the addresses in the /120 subnet.

Is there a tool that will predict or determine what IPv6 addresses are in said subnet, or a quick primer on how to do so by hand?

• actually, @rm_, assigning a /64 is possible, I am not sure how, but it's a feature, called AnyIP, tried, doesn't work for me. http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ab79ad14a2d51e95f0ac3cef7cd116a57089ba82

@chauffer Yes I know about that one, but last time I heard anything about it, it was an experimental patchset that seemed to go nowhere. Good to see it finally got merged.