Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure NVMe SSD - KVM - UK - Daily Backups - DDOS protected - HALF PRICE
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pure NVMe SSD - KVM - UK - Daily Backups - DDOS protected - HALF PRICE

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2018 in Offers

Hi Folks,

NVMe SSD UK KVM stock is back.

Use discount code: YK0EHQJ2M7 when ordering for a huge 50% off on any plan with 2GB Ram or more and on any payment term, making the 2GB plan just €3.50 p/month

Use discount code: BQY6DH1RA9 when ordering for 50% off ALL plans when paying annually, making the 512mb plan just €15.00 p/YEAR!

Plan ranges available (not all in LET price range):

• 512mb - 4 GB
  • 5 - 25 GB Disk
  • 1 - 2 CPU Cores (equal/fair share)
  • 500GB - 4TB Bandwidth
  • DDOS protection
  • CPU's E3v5 or E3v6
  • All customer data backed up daily and locally to separate drives for rapid DR recovery.

Order Link

Terms: https://inceptionhosting.com/terms.html

Comments

• Any news about epyc cpu server?

• DroidDroid Member

Damn this is tempting...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

Thanked by 2kassle MasonR
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Tends to happen when you run CentOS 3 on new hardware.

EDIT: Clearly not production ready

• AnthonySmith said: Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

@VMHaus is this true?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

Do you have any proof for that?

I mean, as Admin, you should stay neutral, basically you are bashing other providers, which do also put up offers here.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:

AnthonySmith said: Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

@VMHaus is this true?

No, Not in the slightest.

As linked to by @Rhys Large scale cloud providers - Namely Azure & Baidu cloud - have started deploying AMD Epyc for Virtualization, and many other intensive workloads.

Our Epyc Hypervisors have been stress tested for a full week by the Supermicro distributor - and for a lesser time with KVM specific workloads before deployment. We feel they give a significant boost in performance over our old E3 V6 nodes, especially when aided by 10Gb/sec networking, and high performance RAID 10 NVMes.

Cheers,

The VMHaus Team

Thanked by 2kassle mrTom
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2018

What does "Equal Share" mean?
    Does "2 CPU Core (Equal Share)" mean 50% share of 2 CPU core? Or does it mean shared between all VM's assigned this 2 CPU core, and if so, how many VM's per core?

Hosted at what UK datacentre? Can you provide test IP or looking glass?

Any way to install custom OS (OpenBSD)?

Are extra IPv4's available and at what cost?

Is BGP session possible?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@aglodek said:
    What does "Equal Share" mean?
    Does "2 CPU Core (Equal Share)" mean 50% share of 2 CPU core? Or does it mean shared between all VM's assigned this 2 CPU core, and if so, how many VM's per core?

Equal share means fair share, you get access to 2 full cores but can't smack them 24x7. Just need to click through and read the terms, it clearly lays out CPU usage limits:

CPU cores are given on an equal share basis only they are not dedicated cores for your server alone.

As a general rule as long as you are not impacting others then you will not be restricted however as a guide line we ask that you do not average over 60% of a CPU core/thread for more than 24 hours on average or 100% of a core/thread for more than 1 hour.

On a VM with 2 cores I would read that as not going over 60% of 1 core/30% of 2 cores for more than 24hrs, or 100% of 1 core/50% of 2 cores for more than 1hr.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @AnthonySmith said: Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

Or may be virtualizer which you love and promote/recommend (for the hate of solusvm) isn't production ready yet to utilize EPYC?

• Where is your data center located? Any looking glass or test ip concerning your UK vps service?

• @miusang said: Where is your data center located? Any looking glass or test ip concerning your UK vps service?

Assuming he is using Clouvider as his upstream in UK, may be you can try using:

http://lg.clouvider.net/

• miusangmiusang Member
    edited March 2018

@dynamo said:

Assuming he is using Clouvider as his upstream in UK, may be you can try using:

http://lg.clouvider.net/

It's kind of you. Thanks.

edited March 2018

@dynamo said:

@AnthonySmith said: Yes, the news regarding EPYC is that it is far from ready from production ready for virtuzlization and you should run away from any host using it right now :)

Or may be virtualizer which you love and promote/recommend (for the hate of solusvm) isn't production ready yet to utilize EPYC?

Nothing to do with the control panel, that would be ridiculous, and these are solusvm based as it happens :)

As for EPYC the information, aside from my own research was from my vendor, which from my understanding is the same as vmhaus so I am not sure why they decided to jump in here, stress testing for a week by SM is NOTHING to do with signing off on the kit as virtualisation ready.

@vmhaus perhaps you can provide some documentation addressed to you from SM to the contrary?

Additionally the rest of you are showing yourselves up or lack of knowledge on how things work at larger scales, large scale providers and hosts mentioned will have have many many many months in advance to put the kit through their own engineering and preproduction and will have direct priority access to AMD and other vendors, that is not the same as some frankly in comparison 2 bit company such as Inceptionhosting or vmhaus getting a standard 1 week burn in test prior to leaving the 3rd party vendor premesis.

edited March 2018

As per your request: https://access.redhat.com/ecosystem/hardware/3248951

Our hardware is certified for RHEL's Openstack implementation - which just happens to use the same underlying virtualisation technology that we have in use on our Bonsai platform.

With regards to "larger scales" - We're in the same situation with AMD as we are with Intel, it's new hardware, everyone takes calculated risks when deploying a new platform. Not having direct access to hardware designers has never stopped us in the past, nor will it in the future. We at VMHaus strive to be at the forefront of server technology - One of the first to deploy NVMe backed KVMs, and now the same with AMD Epyc. Believe me, we wouldn't have deployed this if we saw even the slightest possibility of an issue.

Cheers,

The VMHaus Team

edited March 2018

No sorry, you misunderstood, I asked for something from the hardware vendor as you mentioned SM covered this, not redhat a software vendor.

But thanks for confirming my original point, its running at risk by your own choice with no hardware vendor support, I am just saying there is a reason they are not supporting it.

vmhaus said: Believe me, we wouldn't have deployed this if we saw even the slightest possibility of an issue.

Well unless you have some magic time machine you cant have had your hands on the uncertified kit for more than 24 hours.

But ok you chose to run at risk as you said, that is just not a risk I was willing to take, different methods, no point in arguing over it.

Which member of the vmhaus team is this out of interest?

https://supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/OS_Certification_AMDServer.cfm?MProduct_Name=AS-2123BT-HNC0R

That should cover what you're after - an OS Certification list (where the previous link was found)

More importantly, why are you under the impression that we have no hardware support?
    SM, nor our vendor have ever stated that this platform is unsupported in our configuration.

And, as always on this account - I'm Basil

Cheers,

edited March 2018

Well OK then, feel free to talk around my responses to support your narrative, the bottom line here I know the situation, we order from the same place.

All I have done here is answer a question based on my own information and opinion regarding EPYC platform, you had the kit hours before putting it into production, you chose to jump in to my offer thread with the rest of the discord rage gang, sorry if you don't like or agree with my opinion, I chose not to take the risk, you did, end of story.

Thanks for clarifying Basil, I just wanted to make sure I was not wasting my finger skin discussing anything with Tom Glass.

• So let's recap this. Provider X approaches his vendor, let's call him Z for an Epyc processor to use in production. Eagerly waiting for his processor provider X realises he's not able to setup a production ready server for his current and future clients using this brand new equipment thus rendering it useless.

Provider Y, notices the development and quickly approaches the vendor Z for this spanking new processor to revolutiones the sector, the same processor provider X failed to utilise. After brutal testing provider Y manages to setup a production ready server which provider X failed to do. Provider Y with his brand new equipment goes to the largest hosting forum to advertise this spanking new server to the mass world. This made provider X a bit jealous and sad that his processors is being successfully used with a somewhat success, marketing wise. Furiously provider X goes to the undoubtedly largest web hosting forum to bash provider Y to an extent where he advices people to flee the provider.

So far so good, a bit of "non harmful" competition. Not the end of the world.

Until one realises, provider X is also the administrator of the largest web hosting forum with hundreds of people taking his statement as a fact due to his title and influence.

Thanked by 1jh
    edited March 2018

@limited Or..

I posted and offer, someone asked a question, I gave an answer, people jumped on my answer.

You have some 'fake news' in your recap i am afraid, X got the same availability notification no doubt that Z did and X not put them in to production within a few working hours.

You can chose to bring my credibility in to question if you want, I have done no modderation here, despite the rules about trashing a providers offer posts, I am more than capable of separating my roles here.

But for you and others I will clarify further: My opinion is that the EPYC platform, certainly the one ordered via clouvider at the time of first availability is not sensible to put in to production for virtualization, my opinion is that any host that puts it in to production with less than 24 hours of testing (excluding standard burn in) is bonkers.

I never mentioned another host when asked, I gave my general opinion, VMhaus decided to jump in on another hosts offer thread which is what made is X vs Y

If my intention was to attack VMhaus and abuse my position I would have done so on their offer threads, point of note, I did not, yet look at this one.

That said, it seems based on what VMhaus is saying they are using paid and supported redhat instances (no using CentOS is not even remotely the same) which will get a ton of very high level support, if I had that perhaps I would be more inclined to use EPYC faster.

There is nothing more to this than what you want to make of it yourself, my opinion, for regular KVM+CentOS setups for small companies, using EPYC at this stage is pretty silly, for large enterprise with many months of embargoed pre release time or people with end to end paid support contracts for hardware and software, perhaps it makes sense, however that puts your costs per node roll out up by such a nuts amount that you cant be selling here, simple.

Take it as you want, but please don't take it personally.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Thanks @AnthonySmith for explaining the situation. Though the first simplified reply did raise some questions, the follow up replies cleared them up.

Just wanted to get a taste of epyc server and possibly replace my current ovz at IH. This post's offer is still quite excellent but currently don't need 512mb ram for a tiny dns server.

@layfon no worries, sorry if I created any drama, was not my intent.

Personally i will likely be waiting for the V2's

Thanked by 1layfon
  • Hi

How is this compared to Vultr for UK VPS?

realbusiness said: How is this compared to Vultr for UK VPS?

I would imagine it is faster, 14 day refund policy so why not give it a try!

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited March 2018

Well played, @AnthonySmith... How am I supposed to resist 'upgrading' my 1GB KVM with you now ;-)

My wallet does not like promo's as much as I do, unfortunately.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2018

I've only had one experience with inception 2-2.5 years ago when people raved about them. Friend bought a yearly from them -- it was hands down the worse server in existence after BuyVM. It may be their practices have changed (I assume they were overselling x100000 or were too immature to work things properly back then) but I think this is a very VMMY brand. I will not be trying them out ever again. All the too good to be true attention still persists however. So it makes me wonder if they've really gotten any better or if it's friendly hype as it was back then. In my case I have plenty of rock solid UK providers so I'm not in the market.

Xei said: I've only had one experience with inception 2-2.5 years ago when people raved about them. Friend bought a yearly from them -- it was hands down the worse server in existence after BuyVM. It may be their practices have changed (I assume they were overselling x100000 or were too immature to work things properly back then) but I think this is a very VMMY brand. I will not be trying them out ever again. All the too good to be true attention still persists however. So it makes me wonder if they've really gotten any better or if it's friendly hype as it was back then. In my case I have plenty of rock solid UK providers so I'm not in the market. .

Well I am sorry you (or your friend) feel that way, 2 - 2.5 years ago inception hosting had been running 5 - 6 years, to date almost 20,000 services have been provisioned, I think if it really was as bad as you say there would certainly be more evidence of it.

Either way, no hard feelings whatever experience you had is certainly not normal, obviously with nothing to lookup your account/service details its pretty hard for me to properly comment but if you want to lookup the order number in your email I am happy to check back.

Usually these sorts of comments come from people having bad expectations when buying the none profit community project LowEndSpirit service so I will have to just assume that was what you had.

• XeiXei Member

It was inception NL and no hard feelings. But it was.hands down the worst server in NL to date. I am sure services have likely improved but I don't ever go back to the same company twice. I wish you much success.

Xei said: It was inception NL and no hard feelings. But it was.hands down the worst server in NL to date. I am sure services have likely improved but I don't ever go back to the same company twice. I wish you much success.

Hmm, OK no worries, historically a very stable location with only 3 maintenance reboots (on production services) in the last 4 years and by far the lowest customer churn numbers.

Is what it is, cant comment specifically as I said without any details.