Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 6tb to 10tb storage with rsync capability
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 6tb to 10tb storage with rsync capability

Im looking for a backup provider for a storage service that Im launching. Ideally start with 6tb to 10tb at less than the $100 mark. It should have full rsync capability, that rules out the Hetzner backup storage. Also, Im using Hetzner dedicated boxes as the primary storage, so I would ideally like a different vendor for safety.

Any leads are appreciated.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Month? Year?

Francisco

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2018

Hi @vinayaga,

we can offer the following Storage VM in Amsterdam:

Storage-10000

• KVM virtualization
    • 12 GB RAM
    • 2 CPU cores
    • 10 TB redundant data storage (ZFS based)
    • 1 IPv4 address
    • 10 IPv6 addresses (from your own /64 IPv6 subnet)
    • 20 TB monthly transfer (in+out)
    • Contract term: 1 month

90 EUR per month incl. VAT (~ 93 USD excl. VAT)

[ Further Information ] [ ORDER ]

Looking glass

Do you have any questions? Please do not hesitate to drop us a mail at [email protected].

• Thanks. I will check on your website in a few hours as Im outside. But can you explain what is "10 TB redundant data storage" ? Is this a raid system ?

• @Francisco said:
    Month? Year?

Francisco

Per month. Ideally Raid based so that I do not have to worry about data loss.

vinayaga said: Is this a raid system ?

Yes, of course. We use RAID systems in all of our nodes.

• This looks very interesting and is in my budget, but there is one glaring problem. The role of thumb is double the transfer of the storage capacity, so if I store 10tb and backup the 10tb to a remote location, I get to 20tb. Your transfer limit is at 15tb, which will fall short when the disks get full. It might even out, as i expect the disks to get full over a year, but it's still a risk if I get a lot of customers.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@vinayaga said:
    This looks very interesting and is in my budget, but there is one glaring problem. The role of thumb is double the transfer of the storage capacity, so if I store 10tb and backup the 10tb to a remote location, I get to 20tb. Your transfer limit is at 15tb, which will fall short when the disks get full. It might even out, as i expect the disks to get full over a year, but it's still a risk if I get a lot of customers.

Then buy 2x5TB ones, then you get 20TB in total, problem solved.

• @Zerpy said:

One of the fundamental rules I follow in the cloud based solutions for customers is to never ever keep the backup of the data with a vendor where the original data resides. If the vendor has a major attack or issue, you not only lose your service, you lose your backup also.

So if the service stored 10tb data here, I would need another 10tb with a different vendor for backups. Hence the need for a equal bandwidth to store and backup data.

Does that make sense or am I being paranoid ?

• @Zerpy said:

And yes, on the same lines, I was referring to bandwidth being 20tb, not storage. That I'm fine with 10tb storage, network bandwidth needed would be 20tb in this case for storing data and backing it up.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@vinayaga said:

@Zerpy said:

And yes, on the same lines, I was referring to bandwidth being 20tb, not storage. That I'm fine with 10tb storage, network bandwidth needed would be 20tb in this case for storing data and backing it up.

Again.. The 5TB storage one has 10TB traffic, so if you buy 2x 5TB and split your customers between two - then you have 10TB on each 10+10=20.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Zerpy said: The 5TB storage one has 10TB traffic, so if you buy 2x 5TB and split your customers between two

That's a hassle for no good reason, better work out a custom plan with the provider, especially when provider is answering here in this very thread.

vinayaga said: needed would be 20tb

Thank you for your feedback. We've upgraded the plan to 20 TB monthly transfer volume.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2018

Hi @VinAyaga

we can offer the following Storage Server in Meppel:
    ST-12000

Linux OS
    24 GB RAM
    4 CPU cores
    12 TB (12x1TB HDD) data storage 
    1 IPv4 address 
    Ipv6 enabled + free IPS
    100 TB monthly transfer (in+out) @1Gbps
    Contract term: none (can cancel daily)

100 $ per month

As it's a custom offer it can only be ordered through e-mail or DM. You can let me know if you're interested.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Would Los Angeles work for you?

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited March 2018

VPSSLIM said: 12 TB (12x1TB HDD) data storage

Everything is good but space is less! (considering raid)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

jetchirag said: Everything is good but space is less! (considering raid)

Why? With RAID6 you would get 10 TB usable. For backups RAID6 is perfectly fine.

What's interesting though, is if other offers calculate TB as proper 1024 GB, or as 1000000000 bytes like HDD manufacturers. I think it's more typical to offer honest TB, not HDD-TBs on VPS and cloud storage. In which case those will have more space indeed.

• I suspect abdullah/hosthatch could make you a killer offer for quarterly or something within your budget.

Thanked by 1vinayaga
  • @UltraVPS said:

vinayaga said: Is this a raid system ?

Yes, of course. We use RAID systems in all of our nodes.

Thanks for moving bandwidth to 20tb. That takes care of one issue.

Can you please give me some more information here on your raid setup ? What raid do you use in the backend, raid 10 or raid 5 ? Is this fully transparent ? Will help me decide if I should move my primary site here or use this for the backup.

• @Abdullah said:
    Would Los Angeles work for you?

Yes. As long as the network infrastructure is fast enough, I don't care. Depending on my majority customers locations, I will use it for primary or secondary backup storage.

• @vimalware said:
    I suspect abdullah/hosthatch could make you a killer offer for quarterly or something within your budget.

They have to remember that hertzner gives me 12tb for 50euro in the auctions. I'm just trying not to put all the eggs in one basket :-)

edited March 2018

vinayaga said: Can you please give me some more information here on your raid setup ?

We use striped RAID-Z2 vols with SSD slogs for our storage nodes.

• @vimalware said:
    I suspect abdullah/hosthatch could make you a killer offer for quarterly or something within your budget.

Yup, Going ahead with it. Thanks to the others who pitched in with their offers.

• You need the 18tb mass storage server from ioflood. Unfortunately it's sold out.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2018

vinayaga said: Also, Im using Hetzner dedicated boxes as the primary storage, so I would ideally like a different vendor for safety.

I wouldn't worry about that, given Hetzner's size. I could see being worried about LET hosts in that regard. I've worked at a number of AWS shops and nobody cared about that issue. Hetzner is not going to deadpool without plenty of notice.

What's the issue with Storagebox? I thought it supported rsync.

I can tell you Hetzner's transatlantic network is not very good. I'd keep the backup in EU even if it's outside Hetzner.

@cociu ?

• willie said: I wouldn't worry about that, given Hetzner's size

I think it's always best to not host backups with same providers no matter how big provider is!

• @willie said:
    I wouldn't worry about that, given Hetzner's size. I could see being worried about LET hosts in that regard. I've worked at a number of AWS shops and nobody cared about that issue. Hetzner is not going to deadpool without plenty of notice.

@cociu ?

It is not about Hetzner going down. It's simply a insurance against the unknown. For example, let's say my account gets suspended because a client of mine violated their file upload policy in some way. Or I got attacked by a ddos and account is suspended. Anyways, you get the point...

@willie said:

What's the issue with Storagebox? I thought it supported rsync.

It does not support it fully, there are a lot of file permissions that don't work. The solution is to create containers and loop them as devices, but that is not practical at the sizes I'm speaking of.

• @graphic said:
    You need the 18tb mass storage server from ioflood. Unfortunately it's sold out.

Do you have a link handy for the offer, just for curiosity sake?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2018

General speaking, using non cloud storage bases solutions, like Hetzner Storage Box, they are not even allowed to browse or check your files without any abuse.

Cloud storage runs often some automated checks over that stuff, could lead into automatic suspension, we had this multiple times in the news. Do not use that shit.

Even OVZ, the provider is not allowed to just browse your files, as long you just backup stuff to it, and do not share any ftp/sftp public, you be fine.

But yea to go 100% sure, get a KVM or Dedi but still, Storage box is good enough.

• Take a look at Worldstream:

https://www.worldstream.nl/en/dedicated/custom/order/Intel_Core_i3_2100_3_10GHz

On annual payment this server is 4.80 euro/month(!) not counting disk (you're required to also get at least 1 disk). 4TB disks are 15 euro/m each and you can have up to 4 of them. Other sizes are available but 4TB seems to be the sweet spot. So the server with 4x 4TB is 65 euro/m with 50TB traffic on 100mbit, or 75/m with 1gbit.

If this is backup and the primary is already RAID, do you really need for the backup to itself be RAID? If clients won't be running stuff directly on the box, could you live with RAID 5, since in the event of a drive failure you could stop all other activity on the box during rebuild? The main peril of RAID 5 is the possibility of a 2nd failure happening while rebuilding an active system, which can take a long time. If the system is quiescent then it's easier on the disks.

vinayaga said:

Do you have a link handy for the offer, just for curiosity sake?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2694365/#Comment_2694365

Scroll down to "IOFLOOD".

Thanked by 1vinayaga
  • cociucociu Member

willie said: So the server with 4x 4TB is 65 euro/m with 50TB traffic on 100mbit

how you can make 50tb traffic in 100mbps port ? in one month ?