What is your most prized domain?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

What is your most prized domain?

Discussion title says it all, what are your most prized domains.. the one you keep well polished and hidden in the country home that your mistress doesn't even know about.

Poll not found

Automate server mgmt w/ Runcloud - aff link gives +15 days for pro
    Click here for Runcloud w/o aff link and +0 days for pro.

Comments

• trnjtrnj Member
      edited March 19

Most prized domain:

runcloud.io/r/1oDp5oPVe3Lj

Thanked by 1huntercop
    • slumlord.ru

• How come the title and the poll are about different things?

• AidanAidan Member

How do you get a domain that's not for sale?

You offer more money.

Thanked by 1mksh
    • gianggiang Member

Mine is cdn dot nz, renew 15 USD yearly, more than 5 USD of dot com...

SellSSL.com - Comodo PositiveSSL from $7 per year!

• NeoonNeoon Member

cheaterbugknows.battlelag.net

I did got better now, but still, worth it.

• You backorder it on godaddy.com, then backorder it on 1&1.com in case your 1st backorder fails

You probably don't want to only use the two worse backorder services if that domain is worth anything to you and might be interesting for other people too..

• cubedatacubedata Member, Provider

@Ole_Juul said:
      How come the title and the poll are about different things?

because as usual he is trying to get affiliate signups for his runcloud affiliate link lol.

Check out all of our custom modules here: https://cubedata.net for both blesta & whmcs.

• @Ole_Juul said:
      How come the title and the poll are about different things?

It's a trend, my best guess is it being started by our very own @WSS

• emgemg Member
      edited March 19

Once I tried the "backorder" feature on GoDaddy to capture an expiring GoDaddy-registered domain for a customer. The domain was specific to the customer's organization - nobody else would want it except blackmailing squatters. I don't remember what the "backorder" feature was called, but basically it monitored the domain status, and would capture/register the domain if it became available. Since the domain was already registered by GoDaddy, I thought that there was little risk that someone else could or would register it, and GoDaddy would naturally capture it, since they were the incumbent registrar. The customer paid an annual fee to GoDaddy for this extra service. The customer is a very old senior with a small handcrafting business and no money. She and a couple friends sew products that they sell on the internet.

When the domain expired, GoDaddy sat there and did nothing. Basically, GoDaddy sat idle while a squatter registered the domain at a different registrar soon after it expired. As far as I can tell, GoDaddy never tried to capture the domain for the customer. Once the domain was registered again, there was nothing to be done. The domain belonged to the new squatter. The sad thing is that the squatter is wasting their money to keep the domain registered. The customer will never buy it from them.

I disliked GoDaddy before this happened, but that incident underscored the point. GoDaddy is very good at ensnaring non-technical people into registering their domains and hosting websites at GoDaddy. Some of them became my customers after they were "sufficiently pregnant" with GoDaddy, so I am forced to work with GoDaddy on their behalf. I would never recommend GoDaddy to anyone for anything.

• @emg said:
      Once I tried the "backorder" feature on GoDaddy to capture an expiring GoDaddy-registered domain for a customer. The domain was specific to the customer's organization - nobody else would want it except blackmailing squatters. I don't remember what the "backorder" feature was called, but basically it monitored the domain status, and would capture/register the domain if it became available. Since the domain was already registered by GoDaddy, I thought that there was little risk that someone else could or would register it, and GoDaddy would naturally capture it, since they were the incumbent registrar. The customer paid an annual fee to GoDaddy for this extra service. The customer is a very old senior with a small handcrafting business and no money. She and a couple friends sew products that they sell on the internet.

When the domain expired, GoDaddy sat there and did nothing. Basically, GoDaddy sat idle while a squatter registered the domain at a different registrar soon after it expired. As far as I can tell, GoDaddy never tried to capture the domain for the customer. Once the domain was registered again, there was nothing to be done. The domain belonged to the new squatter. The sad thing is that the squatter is wasting their money to keep the domain registered. The customer will never buy it from them.

I disliked GoDaddy before this happened, but that incident underscored the point. GoDaddy is very good at ensnaring non-technical people into registering their domains and hosting websites at GoDaddy. Some of them became my customers after they were "sufficiently pregnant" with GoDaddy, so I am forced to work with GoDaddy on their behalf. I would never recommend GoDaddy to anyone for anything.

While you have my sympathies, how is it related to the post?

• TikiTiki Member

Almost 20 years ago, I purchased the .com of my first and last name. Since then I've also purchased other TLDs of my name. So glad I bought it back then.

• AidanAidan Member

Almost 20 years ago, I purchased the .com of my first and last name.

Hope you got some whois protection with that.

• TikiTiki Member

@Aidan said:

Hope you got some whois protection with that.

It wasn't offered when I originally registered it, but since I have added it.

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

Tiki said: Almost 20 years ago, I purchased the .com of my first and last name. Since then I've also purchased other TLDs of my name. So glad I bought it back then.

I bought the .org of my last name back in 1998. My last name is a common noun in Italian, and the .com was already taken by a huge firm.

Since then, it's been my email for 20 years.

Neoon said: cheaterbugknows.battlelag.net

I did got better now, but still, worth it.

If you own battlelag.net, congrats. Especially since you had the foresight to buy it in 1985.

If you are proud of "owning" cheaterbugknows.battlelag.net but don't own battlelag.net, you are...well, I'll be nice and let you fill that adjective in yourself.

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

• i would say mine is dedibase dot com or dedihelp dot com, both of which are for sale ;)

• ZenZen Member

Since I bought it on LET (iirc), how about image ;) Not really my most prized though.

curl -L range.website

• I really like my "pork dot pk" and "milk dot mk" domains :)

• My most valuable one is probably my corporate domain, but that's because the business itself is valuable but not specifically the domain itself.

I do have a three letter .com domain from 1999, though, if we're just speaking straight domain resale value.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member
      edited March 19

I own a domain hack of my last name, norr dot is. I also own cdn dot xyz, unmanagedcloud dot com.

• lazytlazyt Member

Always wanted to do the last name hack. But $660 + a year is just too much.

Have I mentioned how much I hate auto correct recently?

• Touchingmyself.com might be willing to sell it for the right price however

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

@caniac22 said:
      Touchingmyself.com might be willing to sell it for the right price however

If you get an offer for $7...I’d take it.

My Advice: VPS Advice

For LET support, please click here.

• dahartigandahartigan Member without signature
      edited March 20

dah85.com is my most prized domain, my initials and birth year. I'm hoping one day some rich famous dude born in 1985 with my initials just HAS to have it and offers me a gazillion dollars for it.

Oh and greencloud.network - hopefully someone also just HAS to have it.. any takers? :P

• Not a huge collector, still managed to get some decent ones from LET for a great price.

storagevm dot com & dot net

Not sure what to do with them yet.

Like.

• dahartigandahartigan Member without signature

@AnthonySmith said:
      I used to have mademe.lol I let it go.

Heh, that would've made a good email domain..

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

mine is mum7.com

Want to make it a distributed hyperlocal online grocery store.

Lacking funds as of now. hopefully, someday

• mlimli Member

I just sold the best one I had to OP :)

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Provider

js.si? No idea what to do with it though.

Thanked by 1Wolf

BunnyCDN - Make your website as fast as a bunny

• ShakibShakib Member, Provider
      edited March 20

(much valuable for me)

I have brought this 2 times.

HostCram LLC - SSD Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

• abatabat Member

lastname.org
      firstnamelastname.com (plus pretty much every domain extension worth having)
      and short domain based on the first 4 chars of my 5 char surname, in the pattern ab.cd

• emgemg Member

@jetchirag said: While you have my sympathies, how is it related to the post?

There were several comments about using backorder above, including the poll in the original post. I wanted to make it clear that backorder does not work in all cases, even when it is purchased from the registrar that currently manages the domain and would handle its expiration.

Based on my experience, we know for certain that GoDaddy's backorder feature does not work, even under the best possible preconditions where GoDaddy is the incumbent, the domain actually expired without being renewed by the previous squatter, etc.

GoDaddy took the customer's money for several years, under the promise that they would register the domain if and when it expired. When the domain expired, GoDaddy abrogated their responsibilities and allowed a different squatter to register the domain through a different registrar. As far as I am concerned, GoDaddy's behavior is tantamount to fraud, because they are selling a service that they do not actually provide.

My customer didn't get their "prize domain" because GoDaddy let them down and did not keep their promise, and I want others to know.

• classyclassy Member

My most prized domain was mailwire.com, a domain from 1998 that I bought from @miTgiB for $101 in this auction.

Little did I know that @miTgiB is a money hungry scumbag who decided he could just take the domain from me and sell it again because he felt like he had the right to because I kept it idle in his clientarea while I developed the website.

I was 16 and back then $101 was a good chunk of money. Still makes me angry to this day. I always think of this bullshit when I feel demotivated.

TL;DR: Trust nobody, especially desperate LET hosts

Thanked by 2Blazing kkrajk

Are you a UI/UX designer or web/app developer? Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/uJPUZuQ

• levnodelevnode Member
      edited March 21

For me, tjz8-dot-com and 8hxn-dot-com. I even don't know how worth they are. LOL.

[https://billing.virmach.com/aff.php?aff=2040&pid=127](Virmach affiliate link. E3-1270/32G RAM/ 13IPs /2T for $49 - COUPON SAVE20 for 20% discount).

• I also have Lastname.ccTLD so I can have an email address with [email protected], which is about as good as it gets in my little world. Looks great in the middle of my business cards.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Some "dns.tld" stuff. Useful for dns stuff.

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6".

• BigBBigB Member

Hacker dot dance :)

• xaocxaoc Member

dearlifefuckyou.com would be it i guess. Still waiting on that .you tld to grab dearlifefuck.you.

So Say We All

• LimpanLimpan Member

The domain I value the most is the one I use for personal e-mail, which looks like this: [email protected]

• The most priced domain is the one you cancelled, cause you cannot afford that crap anymore.

Thanked by 2willie jetchirag
    • williewillie Member

http://linuxiso.party

Registered 5 years at porkbun for 88 cents/year iirc. Worth every cent.

• thagoatthagoat Member

@willie said:

And you forwarded it here?

Covfefe: Ask your senators and congressmen to impeach today!

• @thagoat said:

@willie said:

And you forwarded it here?

That's the key to success.