Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXRoute Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXRoute Support

I've opened a ticket on March 15th and have not heard anything from them yet. Is this normal?

Comments

• @MrGeneral @MikePT help this man.

Thanked by 2MikePT dimitrisp
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

have you tried a six pack?

Francisco

Thanked by 2Zen netomx
  • @shimabuka What is the actual issue you are seeing? If it isn't specific to the service being unreachable and is instead a question about how to configure the service or similar, maybe someone here would be able to answer your questions for you more quickly? Since you already have the thread open and it is obvious that MXroute is a bit backlogged, might as well let us know the issue as well so we can attempt to help!

Cheers!

Thanked by 1jar
  • quickquick Member

Scam

• is @MikePT not doing support anymore ?

• Deadpool

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited March 2018

Customer support is a dark side of every startup managed by a small team [of one].

You wanna do some cool stuff, r&d, but they are writing and writing...

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited March 2018

@trnj said:
    Customer support is a dark side of every startup managed by a small team [of one].

You wanna do some cool stuff, r&d, but they are writing and writing...

About how many clients are you talking about? I have experience when I was one faced 18k client base ALONE from 8:00 up to 22:00 7 day per week for more than few years and it was not a problem at all.

What about real-time talks, I was able to manage up to 1k customers at the same time, all of their problems and needs related to my product and my work. I mean I did not talk with 1k people at the same time, but they were around me and asking for a help.

Another my project, I was able at peak hours to take up to 30-40 messages in less than 1-2 minutes and in around 5-6 minutes solve them all.

There is always around 80% of problems that can be solved in few sentences or less than 20 seconds with good organization.

How so big amount of really headache support requests has been resolved? In different cases by different methods. The most important thing what need to do first is:

around 80% (based on paretto and (my own experience confirm it too) requests are just mess and trash and can be solved very easy).

Other 20% of requests need some investigation and time.

But mostly in 99% cases when you talk with a client you are losing A LOT of time just to find out where is a problem. This is the most problematic thing.

Even if the problem with some really stupid thing, while you will get what is wrong with a client, you will lose a lot of time what you can spend for around 20-30 clients or more.

How we solved so big mess or issues at peak hours?

1. If we got any really big troubles we notify our clients about them via ALL possible methods. This can really remove a lot of headaches
    2. Automatization very important, and very important a confirmation that the request is delivered and we got it. The time when the issue will be resolved is important for a client, but the most important thing that the operator (provider, or does not matter what) accept the request and can read it. Just simple auto-reply with
    blah blah blah, we got your message, but due to queue, we can't process it in less than X hours. After that time we will notify you about the results. If you can, you can help you by fixing the problem by using our knowledge base, or via x y z.

Some guy made custom billing and support system with suggestions in the reply based on words from the message, so clients mostly got their answer when they ask automatically.

1. Please stop be gentle with clients and just drop content if a client starting to cost more than you can afford. For example, In my experience, i got a lot of really alone clients which wish just to talk to anybody about any topic or show their experience and so on. And you at first time just because you gentle can't drop the discussion and focus on something really important.

Very very good thing is a countdown timer and limitations (client MUST be informed about it) how many time YOU MAXIMUM can spend for him. Around 120 seconds is MORE than enough for mostly all typical cases, before transferring a client to another wave of support.

1. At fourth place, but the number 1 in priority thing it is about service quality. If you doing the really BAD job, you will always have A LOT OF MESSAGES, and tickets. Tune your work and make it great.

2. Hire more employers. Support department usually costs really small amount of money everywhere. You can even hire off-shore co-workers from ex-USSR countries where a lot really talented and quality professionals which for some not big (if compare to EU / USA salary (can be 1\10 of average salary in your country)) money can solve your problems and headache. A lot of companies, really a lot of companies using it, and their quality not downgraded. But you must to build your own business process with writing a script with block schemes of questions/answers and so on to make sure that everything is good.

Overall personally me, as the guy who was work alone at support department, and at different own and not owns projects with the large audience I can't accept a thing when someone answering in more then 24 hours, even if he doing the job alone. If the guy receive (business owner) more than 3k$ / mo from a project what he is doing for large audience, and can't serve his client-base, why not to split this 3k$ to 2.5k$ for you and 500$ for offshore co-worker who will do the same thing what you will do, and you will load-balance whole flow of client problems?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

We also have a Discord chat where we can crowd source knowledge, and I may be more available most days to answer quick questions on it:

https://discord.gg/UyBEFG7

A discord chat message can be visible to others, potentially answering that question for more than one person at a time. Additionally, this is the kind of thing I can toss out quick answers to in a less formal manner than I can tickets.

Of course, not everything will be appropriate for Discord, and in such a case I will get to your ticket as quickly as I can. If you need to go the extra mile to make sure it crosses my eyes, I won't judge you for it under these conditions. I try my very best to get to every urgent ticket with the smallest of delays, but I can make a mistake or fail to judge it's importance to you.

To clarify what I consider urgent, anything that breaks your ability to actually use the service and has no valid short term workaround that you are able to use and aware of. This excludes one event that might confuse people, blocked outbound "test" emails, which are by definition unimportant and not worthy of treating highly. (People often get confused about the state of one outbound email and then send a bunch of "test" emails which get blocked by MailChannels, therefore "proving" that outbound email is broken)

JoeMerit said: is @MikePT not doing support anymore ?

Some personal stuff going on, he deserves all of your positive wishes.

• desperand said: Around 120 seconds is MORE than enough for mostly all typical cases, before transferring a client to another wave of support.

I'm having trouble understanding that. Most tickets I've answered in my life took more than 120 seconds, some of them much more. Even if some took less and the rest are "transferred to another wave of support", how do you handle them post-transfer?

edited March 2018

Easy to talk a big game when you don't make your own products (it's more than "just cPanel"), you have "another wave of support" to ditch things to, and you don't mind providing poor quality support and hiring someone for pennies in a country with no labor standards (who almost entirely consist of people barely trained to handle cPanel without modifications, but that's another thing entirely).

No thanks. I'll do it my way and get out of this mess with my own two hands. MXroute will be praised for it's support, this path defined on my blog is sound. It just has a delay on resolving outstanding issues. I'm apologetic for where I'm at, but by no means defeated.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited March 2018

@desperand said:
    About how many clients are you talking about?

The same, around 10k customers (who pay).
    Well, [good] phone customer support would add $$$ to their bills.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited March 2018

@desperand said:
    You can even hire off-shore co-workers from ex-USSR countries

I'm from ex-USSR and yes, a lof of smart people (I went to the same school as the creator of NGINX, he is from kazakhstan).

Go to russian freelance websites and hire some people. Namecheap has an office in Moscow (tech support, domain support, remote system admins).

Thanked by 1Zen
  • williewillie Member
    edited March 2018

Zen said: if he can't resolve a ticket or find a path of resolution within 120 seconds then he flags it down to someone below him, with less priority.

I don't get this either. The usual ticket that can't be solved in 120 seconds is "my XYZ is down, I'm losing millions!!1!". I check the service and yes it's down, I look at the logs and yes something is whack and it's not obvious why, you can't just restart the service without first figuring out and fixing the problem, the person really is fucked while the service is down, so resolving it has higher priority rather than lower. It has more than once resulted in finding bugs in vendor software.

Thanked by 1Junkless
    edited March 2018

Tonight before I called it a night on that front, I came across two tickets reporting an odd issue with just one server. The times were similar. No logs of the issue or showing any other issue at the time. The correlation looks suspiciously like a DNS resolution error where perhaps one needs to be using the right resolvers at the right time to see the failure, and having multiple customers using those resolvers, being provisioned on this server, and attempting to connect at the same time is an ask too large, so a couple of reports may be the best I get to alert me to the presence of a possible issue.

Of course, standard support: Server is online, bye.

But no, I performed a wealth of DNS tests on popular resolvers from several geographic locations to combine the results, attempting to reproduce the possibility of a vague issue that I might not get to catch otherwise, that I might not post on a status page because until confirmed there is technically "no issue."

Anyone dealing with that in 120s without using my example of "standard support" has my respect. Anyone weighing in on how long they think it should take me to handle tickets has never been in my shoes. Much love to all, but know that there's a lot that goes into my work :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

But I thought MXroute was great. Now it turns out you'll be waiting months on a ticket? Perhaps just running your own mail server was the right idea after all.

Thanked by 1default
  • lurchlurch Member

3 days I've been waiting for 12 days from another provider.

@rm_ said:
    But I thought MXroute was great. Now it turns out you'll be waiting months on a ticket? Perhaps just running your own mail server was the right idea after all.

Sure, but I think most people bought it to send and receive email rather than as a conversation starter with me :P

Thanked by 2vovler raindog308
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2018

Other people expect from me to be serious and keep my promises, they don't like excuses. I therefore expect other people to keep their promises too, I don't like excuses, like the ones @jarland implies.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@rm_ said:

You’ve gone from a loveable curmudgeon to a miserable prick.

BTW, there’s something on your shoulder.

Thanked by 2vimalware jar
  • @default nice expectations for $10/year.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If some of the members of lowendtalk were forced to deal with UK ISP's ... lol, this place would chill the fuck out overnight.

• @bugrakoc said:
    @default nice expectations for $10/year.

It's not about money, it's about being serious and delivering expectations when doing business.

• AnthonySmith said: If some of the members of lowendtalk were forced to deal with UK ISP's ... lol, this place would chill the fuck out overnight.

because bad service elsewhere should prepare people to accept bad service here?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    Tonight before I called it a night on that front, I came across two tickets reporting an odd issue with just one server. The times were similar. No logs of the issue or showing any other issue at the time. The correlation looks suspiciously like a DNS resolution error where perhaps one needs to be using the right resolvers at the right time to see the failure, and having multiple customers using those resolvers, being provisioned on this server, and attempting to connect at the same time is an ask too large, so a couple of reports may be the best I get to alert me to the presence of a possible issue.

Of course, standard support: Server is online, bye.

But no, I performed a wealth of DNS tests on popular resolvers from several geographic locations to combine the results, attempting to reproduce the possibility of a vague issue that I might not get to catch otherwise, that I might not post on a status page because until confirmed there is technically "no issue."

Anyone dealing with that in 120s without using my example of "standard support" has my respect. Anyone weighing in on how long they think it should take me to handle tickets has never been in my shoes. Much love to all, but know that there's a lot that goes into my work :)

There is also the option to answer the customer that you will be looking into it with more extensive tests and set the ticket to "in progress".

The customer has got their "120-second" reply and you bought some time to do your tests.
    Even better is to give an estimate of the time needed to do the tests ... but that is a perfect world :)

@AnthonySmith said:
    If some of the members of lowendtalk were forced to deal with UK ISP's ... lol, this place would chill the fuck out overnight.

Every time I hear someone telling me that they got bad support somewhere else, I always smirk and reply "didn't you learn something from that experience on how to treat your customers" ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@JoeMerit said:

AnthonySmith said: If some of the members of lowendtalk were forced to deal with UK ISP's ... lol, this place would chill the fuck out overnight.

because bad service elsewhere should prepare people to accept bad service here?

Its called perspective, something we have all known for a long time a few people here lack.

Thanked by 4Aidan MasonR jar Junkless
This discussion has been closed.