Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who can do KVM(Windows) with low RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About 128MB RAM.
I use my own key.
Who can do?

Comments

• What version of Windows?

• @awson said:
    What version of Windows?

Windows 2003/XP is OK.

• @EDO Windows wont run on such low ram.

• @HardCloud said:
    EDO Windows wont run on such low ram.

Hmm, i'm not 100% sure but BuyVM has a 128mb KVM and it says "Windows 2003 included in cost" but what do I know

• @skybucks100 said:
    Hmm, i'm not 100% sure but BuyVM has a 128mb KVM and it says "Windows 2003 included in cost" but what do I know

KVM isn't only for Windows

• @Bogdacutuu said:
    KVM isn't only for Windows

I know that, but it says Windows Included in cost which makes me think that plan comes with Windows. I can't really check because they're out of stock currently.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

XP runs in 64 MB officially.
    Unofficially can run in 16: http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm.en
    However, it will swap extensively, this is why most providers wont like it. I had a laptop with 128 ram xp and was very slow always swapping. I think 256 is a minimum for so-so operation if you wish to run some programs too, 512 is in order.

• @Maounique said:
    However, it will swap extensively, this is why most providers wont like it. I had a laptop with 128 ram xp and was very slow always swapping. I think 256 is a minimum for so-so operation if you wish to run some programs too, 512 is in order.

It will lagg like hell and abuse the CPU.

wont abuse the cpu in the strict sense, will only clog it with IOwait, and indeed will lag a lot and abuse storage mainly. This is why it is not really popular with providers. Running windows idle in 128 is possible, but if you need to run some programs too you will be kicked for abuse.

• @Maounique said:
    wont abuse the cpu in the strict sense, will only clog it with IOwait, and indeed will lag a lot and abuse storage mainly. This is why it is not really popular with providers. Running windows idle in 128 is possible, but if you need to run some programs too you will be kicked for abuse.

You're exactly right.

• windows 2003 does work with 128 ram.. I have been using it for a while. granted you can only do so many stuff with it.

I havent said anything different, it will work, but only idle, anything else will get you kicked for abuse.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2013

@Maounique said:

Technically running any non-server Windows OS in a virtual environment is against Microsoft licensing. Anyone who adheres to SPLA will NOT let you run a unlicensed and/or non-server Windows OS on a virtual server unless they wish to lose their SPLA licensing and/or pay large fines.

Of course, this doesn't prevent you from running it on an VM, as I am sure people do it, but no provider can offer it as an operating system option unless they care to be sued/fined by Microsoft if they were to find out.

This is why providers only offer Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 on their KVM/XEN products.

Cheers!

Nobody offers XP from what I know, however, if the customer can upload and boot own iso, then it cant be avoided. It can also be approximated to own hardware or leased computer, microsoft does not forbid license owners to run them in a virtual environment, the requirement is that they do not run more than one copy.
    It is, of course, different for OEM copies.