Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is location?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How important is location?

emghemgh Member

I’ve got a fee friends starting companies right now, and they know that I have a growing interest in servers, these are mainly small companies by the way. Either way, they have asked me if I can host their websites, some of them, they’re close and we help each otherw back and forth, I won’t take any money.

Some of them insisted on paying and are the friends of other friends and so on. Anyway, I am done figuring out the billing, I am done figuring out how my little static information page will be hosted. I know where I am getting the domain ans I know what mailing solution that I’ll use.

However, and here comes the hard part. Money isn’t an issue, these companies are flexible that if I say it’s gonna run me a dollar a month or 25 dollars a month dosen’t really matter for them. So I was thinking about delivering the best possible performance that I possibly can. And so I figured out there’s two good ways to go about this:

1. Get a deicated server with So You Start. Good performance. More control. Most realiable DDoS protection on this list. Marginally more expensove. Not Swedish IP-addresses for SEO, since all my clients are Swedish.

2. Get a OpenVZ vps with OpenVZ.io. Okay performance. Enough control. Halfbad DDoS protection. Cheaper. Swedish IP addresses. Shared envirement.

I also need to find a good solution to host a dns cluster for my custom nameservers. Should I focus on getting them into two different Swedish datacenters or getting two highly DDoS protected ones?

Sweden and DDoS protection normally dosen’t go together at all. What’s your opinions on this matter?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Pretty sure you can get a failover IP that's geolocation is Sweden with SYS. If it's just websites, location doesn't matter as much.

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2018

@MikeA said:
    Pretty sure you can get a failover IP that's geolocation is Sweden with SYS. If it's just websites, location doesn't matter as much.

Latest information from Google as far as I know is that it can be a factor, and I do not trust my clients to sign up for webmasters and select their targeting country. Do you know if there’s any list of possible geo countries that OVH/SYS has?

Edit: They do not.
    France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Poland, Portugal, Ireland, the Czech Rep., the Netherlands, Finland, Lithuania and Belgium.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited March 2018

Location doesn't matter much. If they have a .se they'll be counted as local website (no difference for them is hosted in SE or elsewhere). If the website is in swedish it will be indexed fine even if it's not indexed there. If your customers aren't in the SEO race it's no problem for you to host them elsewhere: it should not have a significant impact.

As you will start small and are planning to host your own DNS servers, you'll be able to move easily later on: starting with a small VPS (in sweden if you prefer) and moving to a dedicated later on can be a wise idea. If you don't really know how much resources you'll need why start with an expensive setup? You'll always be able to upgrade later on...

For the DNS server, you can host one in SE (or use your main VPS for NS1) and one in another country. Any cheap VPS will do... you could also use a free service for NS2.

• emghemgh Member

@datanoise said:
    Location doesn't matter much. If they have a .se they'll be counted as local website (no difference for them is hosted in SE or elsewhere). If the website is in swedish it will be indexed fine even if it's not indexed there. If your customers aren't in the SEO race it's no problem for you to host them elsewhere: it should not have a significant impact.

As you will start small and are planning to host your own DNS servers, you'll be able to move easily later on: starting with a small VPS (in sweden if you prefer) and moving to a dedicated later on can be a wise idea. If you don't really know how much resources you'll need why start with an expensive setup? You'll always be able to upgrade later on...

For the DNS server, you can host one in SE (or use your main VPS for NS1) and one in another country. Any cheap VPS will do... you could also use a free service for NS2.

Okay, I’m still a bit unsure about the location part. In reality everyone is in a seo race, but obviously their seo will hurt if I go with Swedish hosting that’ll result in their website being down. However, your solution to the DNS was very smart indeed. I could get a VPS with either Vikinglayer or Hosthatch for the primary and a OVH VPS for the other one. That way the primary is in Sweden but I’m protected either way.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

IP location really makes no difference in 2018.

Thanked by 3Aidan doghouch lazyt
  • emghemgh Member

@MikeA said:

Got any source or is it all speculation?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

Got a reliable source that says it does make a difference?

Thanked by 2Aidan bugrakoc
  • AidanAidan Member

@MasonR said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

"Citation: Me"

Thanked by 1MasonR

@Aidan said:

@MasonR said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

"I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it."

• emghemgh Member

@MasonR said:

@Aidan said:

@MasonR said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

"I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it."

Google said it awhile ago, and they haven’t gone out with anything else since. We all know that obviously the ip location isn’t as important now as it was when this was said. But does it still matter? That’s the hard question.

In all seriousness, the most important decision here is choosing a reliable provider. One that has good uptime, decent support, and good peering. You won't be penalized for where your IP geolocates to. There's millions of sites behind cloudflare and they seem to be doing just fine.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I have a small site that gets almost no traffic, partly because it's IPv6 only. It is a .ru domain, hosted in Bulgaria, and I'm in Western Canada. Put the name into Google and it's the top result. Google knows how to find stuff.

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member
    edited March 2018

emgh said: Google said it awhile ago, and they haven’t gone out with anything else since.

"For search, specifically for geotargeting, the server's location plays a very small role, in many cases it's irrelevant. If you use a ccTLD or a gTLD together with Webmaster Tools, then we'll mainly use the geotargeting from there, regardless of where your server is located. You definitely don't need to host your website in any specific geographic location -- use what works best for you, and give us that information via a ccTLD or Webmaster Tools." - John Mueller

That was back in 2013.

• WSSWSS Member

dicks in the wind

• Location mattered for SEO in 2008, but not in 2018. Services like Cloudflare, anycast, and instant cloud providers like AWS, DO, Azure have made location totally irrelevant. Most website IPs do not resolve to actual locations of the websites, and Google couldn't care less about IP location anymore.

Do not rely on SEO advice from 2008.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

You'd be fine hosting anywhere in the EU, geolocated IPs or slightly closer physical servers aren't going to give you an edge. Faster sites will help somewhat, but that's going to come down to how your site is coded and your web server stack.

Even with all of that, you'd still lose out to a site hosted in the US who has better links and is better optimized.

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited March 2018

Get the soyoustart dedi. If you're only serving to Sweden then you can captcha every country except Sweden with cloudflare and only allow CF reverse proxy to your ports 80 and 443. Even if someone gets the origin they can't L7 flood and ovh is good with L4. I wouldn't worry about SEO, just optimize your site properly and ensure whatever software you are running is SEO friendly (properly written).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

Harambe said: you'd still lose out to a site hosted in the US who has better links and is better optimized.

............?

• To expand on a famous saying, location is the third most important thing. It's also the first most and second most important.

• @willie said:
    To expand on a famous saying, location is the third most important thing. It's also the first most and second most important.

That's for houses and gyms.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    To expand on a famous saying, location is the third most important thing. It's also the first most and second most important.

Except that it's not in this case :)

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2018

Interesting discussion. I guess it can plan a small role, especially if you haven’t gone ahead and signed up for webmasters and selected your targeting country. I do not trust my clients who dosen’t know what a databasd is to do this. However, I am starting to leaning towards the SYS solution, especially since uptime is an inportant factor aswell, and getting DDoS issues won’t help with that.

Is it clarely the best option to get a Swedish vps for the first dns server and a DDoS protected one for the other?

Edit: I’ve got a totally unrelated question that I think nearly all of you know the answer to. If I were to setup two dns clusters with cPanel DNSONLY, in the setup they will ask me to input the nameservers that should be used and binded. Should I input both on both clusters as was done in the dnsonly tutorial that was published here or should I put the ns1 on the dns1 and ns2 on the dns2?

• CDN should be a better choice.

• IP matters if you are attracting that location users ,If looking for world wide then it is not depends on ip.
    If looking for good traffic service and support must be superb that give you good traffic

• As latency doesn't seem to be your biggest concern don't worry about the location. Focus on a quality host and make sure you have a proper setup.

As for SEO, If people would spend the same amount of time on the quality of their content/product as they do worrying about SEO, SEO wouldn't matter at all for them.

Getting high results in Google isn't that hard. Finding quality products on high ranking websites is. It's the curse of Google.