Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD EPYC CPUs with Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD EPYC CPUs with Virtualizor

spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

Has someone tested the new AMD EPYC CPUs with Virtualizor? Does it work as smooth as with Intel CPUs?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819113463
Can used with Supermicro motherboards, looks very nice for virtualization.

Comments

• I have a Ryzen 1700x for virt, it’s awesome!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

levnode said: I have a Ryzen 1700x for virt, it’s awesome!

I have 3 x AMD Ryzen 1700 CPUs, and none of them seem to work with KVM + Virtualizor. Virtualization is definitely enabled in the BIOS.

Other than that, the CPUs have terrific performance.

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

@levnode said:
    I have a Ryzen 1700x for virt, it’s awesome!

OpenVZ or KVM ?

• Haha also lookin in the EYPC sector huh,

Im gonna wait a few months be4 picking one up, because the new EYPC chips are coming

• DETioDETio Member

I've tested EPYC with OpenNebula and can say it runs very smoothly, 24 cores on a 7401P.

• @DETio said:
    I've tested EPYC with OpenNebula and can say it runs very smoothly, 24 cores on a 7401P.

Hows the performance like on a single core + 2GB ram-Ish vm, looking to run/offer my customers some speedy VDS

• With AMD EPYC servers make sure you test performance properly and ensure the right Linux Kernel is used. I tested AMD EPYC 7401P on CentOS 7.4 3.10 kernel vs 4.15+ kernel and the newer kernel had dramatically better performance overall - benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/packet-net-bare-metal-cloud-amd-epyc-7401p-review-benchmarks.14097/

I wouldn't be using AMD EPYC, unless you're using 4.15+ or newer Linux Kernels to be honest.

Thanked by 3steny vimalware Aidan
  • @randvegeta said:

levnode said: I have a Ryzen 1700x for virt, it’s awesome!

I have 3 x AMD Ryzen 1700 CPUs, and none of them seem to work with KVM + Virtualizor. Virtualization is definitely enabled in the BIOS.

Other than that, the CPUs have terrific performance.

I got it work with proxmox, no setting changes from Intel.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2018

I cant imagine the panel having much to do with compatibility however from what I understand very few vendors SM for example have been willing to sign off on compatibility so if you are using EPYC + SM kit right now, you are running at risk and don't give a shit about your customers as you have no upstream support.

• AnthonySmith said: I cant imagine the panel having much to do with compatibility however from what I understand very few vendors SM for example have been willing to sign off on compatibility so if you are using EPYC + SM kit right now, you are running at risk and don't give a shit about your customers as you have no upstream support.

You are right for the very stable and reliable service. However, discovering something new is simply very excited and promised :)