Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I completely fucked up
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I completely fucked up

MultiMulti Member

Hello guys,

please dont blame me for doing this which could break my system on a production system, but well... I did it -.-

So, my machine is hosted with netcup, i encrypted the machine and somehow I cannot find my root password anymore (its somewhere is my room or maybe at my parents home on any notebook, dunno).

My problem. I changed the network config so I could not connect to it anymore. Without a password I cannot log into it via vnc. I can boot into the rescue system "grml" but I cannot mount the encrypted lvm drive. I can encrypt it and thats it.

Is someone willing to help me via skype/teamviewer or whatever? I would even give you 10-20 dollars, I am somehow desperate -.-

I already logged in via the rescue system but after trying to mount it its always telling me: "mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'".

Thanks.

Comments

• lionlion Member
    edited March 2018

What do you expect someone to do? Bypass the password?

No password, no decryption

Thanked by 2Multi netomx
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

lol.

Save this stuff on a bitlocked USB stick and put it in your safe, then you only have one password to remember for all your important stuff.

• MultiMulti Member
    edited March 2018

@lion said:
    What do you expect someone to do? Bypass the password?

No password, no decryption

As I mentioned. I have the password for decryption. I just dont have the root password. And I cannot manage it to mount the lvm drive. Encrypting it is not the problem.

EDIT: So basically I just need help in mounting the filesystem. Change the /etc/network/interfaces and thats all I need

• lionlion Member

@Multi said:

Sorry, i misunderstood, could this help?

https://askubuntu.com/a/653460

Thanked by 1Multi
  • MultiMulti Member

The command vgscan is "not working" for me:

root@grml ~ # vgscan
      Reading volume groups from cache.

• mkshmksh Member

As long as you still have the passphrase for the encryption it should work. Just look into how to setup LVM on your rescue system. Otherwise if you can VNC to the box while doing a normal boot i guess you could just boot into single user and reset the root password. Google is your friend for booth options.

Thanked by 1Multi
  • If you are out of options, Last resort would be using a backup and reinstalling the vps. And learn from this experience.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello,

How is it not working?

You also need to do vgchange -ay.

Then do vgdisplay to figure out what volume groups you have.

You can also do lvdisplay to find out what partitions exist.

Francisco

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 2018

@Multi said:
    The command vgscan is "not working" for me:

root@grml ~ # vgscan
      Reading volume groups from cache.

Hmm just a guess but if you used to installer to setup the encryption i think you have an encrypted partition with LVM on top of it so first step would be to cryptsetup luksOpen ... the device an then take care of LVM.

• If you don't have a backup of your password then i think you're out of luck. If someone has practical experience with cracking encrypted partitions i would like to hear it. Your data might be gone, but on the bright side, your drive is not dead. It's like your raidless drive dies and you get a free replacement. Of course this only applies if your machine is colocated, otherwise it's only data loss.

• MultiMulti Member
    edited March 2018

@mksh said:
    As long as you still have the passphrase for the encryption it should work. Just look into how to setup LVM on your rescue system. Otherwise if you can VNC to the box while doing a normal boot i guess you could just boot into single user and reset the root password. Google is your friend for booth options.

This one looks promising. The biggest problem I do have now is I cannot enter the "-". Its always set to a "ß"... Im trying again.

EDIT: Thanks for all the other answer. Im sitting on the easy method with the rescue system. Never thought its that easy: https://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 2018

@Multi said:
    The biggest problem I do have now is I cannot enter the "-". Its always set to a "ß"... Im trying again.

Yeah, that's a known problem with a VNC setup that uses the wrong keyboard layout. Afaik there is nothing the client (you) can do about it. Best idea i have is to find some place that echos your input (grubs commandline editor or something) and try to locate which keys actually yield the needed characters.

Edit: If you make it to an actual shell you could also try to get creative with tools/escape codes to get the required string.

Thanked by 1Multi
  • MultiMulti Member

Yeah well, without the - im not able to make the filesystem writeable... Damn it :D

• mkshmksh Member

@Multi said:
    Yeah well, without the - im not able to make the filesystem writeable... Damn it :D

Guess not much help but if you manage to get the needed characters those might be worth a try:

mount `printf '\x2d'`o remount,rw /
    mount $( printf '\x2d' )o remount,rw /
    mount `printf "\x2d"`o remount,rw /
    mount $( printf "\x2d" )o remount,rw /

Thanked by 1Multi
  • MultiMulti Member

Okay, I made it. I could change the root password. I should be able to login now...

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Multi said:

for what it's worth on my keyboard the - from numblock works within that VNC ;-)

Thanked by 1mksh
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Multi said:

@mksh said:

This one looks promising. The biggest problem I do have now is I cannot enter the "-". Its always set to a "ß"... Im trying again.

EDIT: Thanks for all the other answer. Im sitting on the easy method with the rescue system. Never thought its that easy: https://askubuntu.com/questions/24006/how-do-i-reset-a-lost-administrative-password

Depending on control panel and if the provider configured it - you might be able to change the vnc keymap.

• MultiMulti Member

Thanks for the answers. Already made it.

Most shocking moment for a long time. Was already starting to upload my backup.

• cpsdcpsd Member

Congratulations!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I want my $20

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@netomx said:
    I want my $20

We all do.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MultiMulti Member
    edited March 2018

Here you go guys:

Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: I guess @mksh would deserve it. He gave me the idea which solved my problem.