Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self hosted Spotify alternative with android app
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self hosted Spotify alternative with android app

stefemanstefeman Member
edited March 2018 in General

Any self hosted Spotify like services out there?

Comments

• Part of the magic of Spotify is the shuffling.

Anyone can upload .mp4's to a server and stream it from an app.

More than that, why not just download .mp4's to your phone?

• jamjam Member

Emby

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

What features are you actually looking for?

Just get a good music player with a usable shuffle function.
    https://f-droid.org/en/packages/souch.smp/ works for me.
    Then just copy your music to your phone and play it from there.

There's no need to be "media streaming" from a "service" to just listen to your music.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What about the license ?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I've been using Subsonic for a couple years now, highly recommended!

There's several Android apps that are compatible with it. Personally I prefer DSub -- you can get the apk for free from their Github page.

@rm_ said: There's no need to be "media streaming" from a "service" to just listen to your music.

Sure there is. I can't stand radio and I can't stand ads. I'd rather not copy around 200GB+ of music to all my computers/devices so a selfhosted streaming service is the way to go. Central spot that you can listen to music from your phone, computers (at home/at work), etc.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @MasonR said:

@rm_ said: There's no need to be "media streaming" from a "service" to just listen to your music.

Sure there is. I can't stand radio and I can't stand ads. I'd rather not copy around 200GB+ of music to all my computers/devices so a selfhosted streaming service is the way to go. Central spot that you can listen to music from your phone, computers (at home/at work), etc.

This is still mostly flawed.

The main purpose in my opinion of Spotify or Radio is to discover new music.

Plus, licensing issues. Depending on who you host it with you could get kicked out for personal use.

It would be cheaper to spend $10 on Spotify than have to use 200GB of a HDD or SSD alone likely. Not includng bandwidth, power, etc.

There's certain things self hosting is made for, this is not really one of them.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

MasonR said: 200GB+ of music

If your music is all FLAC, create a downconverted copy specifically for use on the go.
    Another big thing is to hand-pick only favorite tracks or at least albums, for the smartphone. No need to copy entire artist discographies there. Don't know about you, but I don't want to be listening to fluff and fillers while I'm out walking or commuting, it needs to be only the best stuff, so that I am never urged to push the "skip track" button (besides, that's usually too much hassle while on the go).

MasonR said: all my computers/devices

Typically people have just one smartphone, it's doable copying it there; and if you know rsync, it's also easy to keep the non-primary computers synced up with your main collection -- and most importantly all of these count as extra backups -- if it's your music collection, I doubt you can have too many of those.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

plex will do it quite nicely

@Crandolph said:

@MasonR said:

This is still mostly flawed.

The main purpose in my opinion of Spotify or Radio is to discover new music.

All depends on what OP is interested in doing. Sure if he's trying to discover new music, then a selfhosted solution certainly isn't the solution. But if he's just trying to stream his existing music collection, then it's a perfect fit.

Plus, licensing issues. Depending on who you host it with you could get kicked out for personal use.

I host it on a server at home, so no issues there. Downloading the music is a different discussion all together, which I won't get into. But just serving your downloaded music to yourself -- what's the issue there? I didn't get the impression he was trying to sell this service for hundreds of others to use.

It would be cheaper to spend $10 on Spotify than have to use 200GB of a HDD or SSD alone likely. Not includng bandwidth, power, etc.

Like I said, nothing beats free -- self hosted from home. Also, believe it or not -- Spotify doesn't have everything known to man. That's like telling someone who wants to stream their movies to just sign up for Netflix instead of using Plex, for example.

There's certain things self hosting is made for, this is not really one of them.

That's your opinion. Maybe more details about the OP's purpose with this could help clarify things for us more. For me, it's a perfect fit.

• lionlion Member
    edited March 2018

What really annoys me about Dsub is that it doesn't stream files but rather downloads them and plays them after.

As someone who has a lot FLAC 1h+ tracks it always takes a few minutes till a new track plays.

--

@Awmusic12635 said:

Plex on mobile requires a license :(

edited March 2018

@lion said: What really annoys me about Dsub is that it doesn't stream files but rather downloads them and plays them after.

Doesn't that describe all streaming services, though? You're downloading the media in advance of you needing it into a buffer so you can watch/listen to it. You can limit DSub's pre-fetching in the settings if you really don't want to download the next songs in your queue in advance.

Edit: I think I realize what the issue is so my statement above is probably nonsense. I guess I never realized it waits till the songs is fully downloaded before starting to play it. Could definitely see the problem there for large files (FLAC, etc.)

• @lion said:
    What really annoys me about Dsub is that it doesn't stream files but rather downloads them and plays them after.

As someone who has a lot FLAC 1h+ tracks it always takes a few minutes till a new track plays.

--

@Awmusic12635 said:

You could use your browser instead of the app. That should work without a license right? I use plex a lot to stream to my Sonos systems and that works flawlessly.

• lionlion Member

@Saragoldfarb said:
    You could use your browser instead of the app. That should work without a license right? I use plex a lot to stream to my Sonos systems and that works flawlessly.

For me as an ampache user that doesn't work, the web interface isn't mobile optimized.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • TomTom Member

@lion said:

>

@Awmusic12635 said:

A one time fee of like £3?

Thanked by 3Aidan Rhys doghouch
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@Tom said:

@lion said:

>

@Awmusic12635 said:

A one time fee of like £3?

• Sounds like you are looking for this: https://github.com/phanan/koel

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @lion said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

For me as an ampache user that doesn't work, the web interface isn't mobile optimized.

I see... I usually use one of my tablets and I have plex added as a channel in my Sonos app so never really checked how it looks on mobile. Good to know. Please keep us posted on your experiences if you find something decent!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Most of the common media server software/apps support most audio formats.

• @VirtualByte said:
    Sounds like you are looking for this: https://github.com/phanan/koel

Looking good... will try that myself as well when I have some time to kill. Thanks.

• I'm using Plex for that, any storage vps will do fine since Plex uses very minimal resources when used only for music.

• machine123machine123 Member
    edited March 2018

Plex. With Google drive works perfectly for this, all you need is a measly vps with fuse