Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gauging interest in backup trading website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Gauging interest in backup trading website

Hello,

I recently had an idea to make a website that connects users together to trade backups. This seems fairly easy to do with software like Duplicati that encrypts all backups before sending them to a remote host. In theory, with a strong enough password, I could send my backups to anyone willing on the internet and have a semi-stable host to grab files from in case everything local failed.

Would anyone have an interest in trading backups on a site like this?

Comments

• mkshmksh Member

One word: Mental. When all your local backups fail the last thing you should put your hopes on is some random person from the internet.

Thanked by 3FHR lazyt 404error
  • There's this new cryptocurrency which is attempting to do decentralized file hosting. However, in order to qualify for it, you need a fleet of stable hosts to begin with. In this case, any one of those hosts can be a weak point in the chain and crumble your backup system.

Can it be done? Yes. Will it be a long an arduous process? Probably.

• lurchlurch Member
    edited March 2018

I'm sure I read about that blockchain file hosting thing and it said there was redundancy so even if one/more of the hosts fails your files are still safe.

I would never trade backups.

Edit: think this was the one https://storj.io/share.html

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Blockchain with people storing ISOs would quickly lead to zettabyte-sized chains, no? I’m confused.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • mhbmhb Member

I'm interested. Email me more about your idea (I dont always check in here).

irving_fisher35 (AT) wegwerfmail (DOT) net