Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exim off-by-one remote code execution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exim off-by-one remote code execution

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

By installing Postfix!

Thanked by 2rds100 FHR
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

M66B said: You'll want to update Exim ...

Does cPanel still use Exim exclusively?

• @WSS said:
    By installing Postfix!

Wouldn't bet too much on it. Both (original) authors were no idiots but coding in C ugly things are just bound to happen. off-by-one is one of the classical sins.

• Who is using exim? And why?

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

Debian installs Exim by default, but does not provide an update (yet?) in the stable channel:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=exim

I guess "stable" applies to security holes as well ...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited March 2018

M66B said: Debian installs Exim by default, but does not provide an update (yet?) in the stable channel:

The current version of Exim for Debian is patched for this issue you can see it in the change logs: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.89-2+deb9u3_changelog

exim4 (4.89-2+deb9u3) stretch-security; urgency=high

* Non-maintainer upload by the Security Team.
      * Fix base64d() buffer size (CVE-2018-6789) (Closes: #890000)

-- Salvatore Bonaccorso   Sat, 10 Feb 2018 09:26:05 +0100

Thanked by 1M66B
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@Razza said:

M66B said: Debian installs Exim by default, but does not provide an update (yet?) in the stable channel:

The current version of Exim for Debian is patched for this issue you can see it in the change logs: http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/e/exim4/exim4_4.89-2+deb9u3_changelog

That was almost a month ago ...

• mkshmksh Member

@M66B said:

@Razza said:

That was almost a month ago ...

https://exim.org/static/doc/security/CVE-2018-6789.txt

Seems to match the timeline given here.

• I love unattended-upgrades. All servers of mine already seem to have the patch.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@AlyssaD said:
    I love unattended-upgrades. All servers of mine already seem to have the patch.

Thats the finest shit you can get, reminds me a few days ago, a company shipped updates for a eReader and bricked it, the updates applied automatically when wlan was up.

It first killed the wlan hardware, then the rest.

Magnificent.

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

The cPanel stable branch is already protected against this vulnerability. Current version: exim-4.89.1-2.cp1162.x86_64. They simply didn't bump the version.

Test your cPanel server with the following command: rpm -q --changelog exim | grep CVE-2018-6789
    It should return:

• Fix CVE-2018-6789.

If not, yolo.

• @Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:

Thats the finest shit you can get, reminds me a few days ago, a company shipped updates for a eReader and bricked it, the updates applied automatically when wlan was up.

Magnificent.

Not all auto-updates are the same. I only do it for security patches. Which for debian and the few years I have run them this way... don't have issues.

edited March 2018

@AlyssaD said:

@Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:

Magnificent.

Not all auto-updates are the same. I only do it for security patches. Which for debian and the few years I have run them this way... don't have issues.

You are missing the point, that this shit is written by humans, humans do mistakes.
    Also connecting power plants to the internet, fucking idiots.

• @Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:

@Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:

Magnificent.

You are missing the point, that this shit is written by humans, humans do mistakes.
    Also connected power plants to the internet, fucking idiots.

Correct, and that is why you have backups...

@AlyssaD said:
    Correct, and that is why you have backups...

• mkshmksh Member

So @Neoon which debian update failed for you exactly?

edited March 2018

@mksh said:

PowerDNS, one updated destroyed a cluster, due to config changes pushed via security.

PowerDNS did not came up anymore after that.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@Neoon said:

@mksh said:

PowerDNS, one updated destroyed a cluster, due to config changes pushed via security.

Ouch. Point taken. Guess i am not a complete idiot for not running unattended upgrades afterall even if nothing of interest ever happend to me.

• @Neoon said:

@mksh said:

When was this?

@AlyssaD said:
    When was this?

A while ago, where MariaDB did not even existed, a few years at least.

• @Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:
    When was this?

Now, if you didn't have unattended-upgrades installed and just did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade would you have had the same issue?

• mkshmksh Member

@AlyssaD said:

@Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:
    When was this?

Now, if you didn't have unattended-upgrades installed and just did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade would you have had the same issue?

Sure but with manual upgrades you have a higher chance of noticing that something got broken so at least in theory it should result in less downtime.

• @mksh said:

@AlyssaD said:

@Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:
    When was this?

Sure but with manual upgrades you have a higher chance of noticing that something got broken so at least in theory it should result in less downtime.

"In theory" ... and also in theory you could have had a lovely attacker compromise a system while your system went unpatched. In reality, neither option is perfect. They both have flaws. If you are in a business, you generally have fully staffed tech departments that run, check, and test updates then patch. However, for other things an automatic update can be beneficial.

For example:

Have you updated all your servers in the past 60 days or less?

How about your routers?

All your Internet of Things devices?

Your modem?

Your cell phone?

Your apps on your cell phone?

Your work station desktop?

How about the bios on your desktop?

... and so many more.

The massive amount of things that need updates and needing them frequently is quickly growing. Having automation and tools that help you do that for you... is beneficial from a time saving stand point, and a security one.

However, yes... things sometimes go wrong. Just like a recent windows update at my work.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon simply disagrees by default @AlyssaD, I wouldn't argue much ;-)

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 2018

@AlyssaD said:

@mksh said:

@AlyssaD said:

@Neoon said:

@AlyssaD said:
    When was this?

"In theory" ... and also in theory you could have had a lovely attacker compromise a system while your system went unpatched. In reality, neither option is perfect. They both have flaws. If you are in a business, you generally have fully staffed tech departments that run, check, and test updates then patch.

Fully agreed.

However, for other things an automatic update can be beneficial.

For example:

Have you updated all your servers in the past 60 days or less?

Yes, i have. Stil 60 days is an awfuly long time span so that's not exactly hard to meet imo.

How about your routers?

The one i have only gets patched when there is a remotely exploitable bug. And there wasn't any in this timespan.

All your Internet of Things devices?

My security plan for those is not getting any ;)

Your modem?

Don't think it's patchable.

Your cell phone?

See Internet of Things solution.

Your apps on your cell phone?

See above.

Your work station desktop?

Admittedly that thing is a bit out of date. Thanks for reminding me :P

How about the bios on your desktop?

Why would i do that? It's working fine. I am not going to touch it.

The massive amount of things that need updates and needing them frequently is quickly growing. Having automation and tools that help you do that for you... is beneficial from a time saving stand point, and a security one.

Well, i think we can easily agree there's different approaches and lets face it when it comes to gadgets like phones and IoT stuff security is illusionary anyways. By the time updates reach you it's to late anyways (as in weeks, months to late...) if there are any updates at all.

However, yes... things sometimes go wrong. Just like a recent windows update at my work.

Words can not describe how happy i am about not having to deal with this.

Edit: Note to self: Agreeing with @Neoon gets me into positions i don't really care for. Better not do it again.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited March 2018

@Clouvider said:
    @Neoon simply disagrees by default @AlyssaD, I wouldn't argue much ;-)

Dom, the earth is round right? Where do I disagree then by default?

That explains a lot about yourself, on which level you are thinking.

@AlyssaD said:

If a dumbest assumable user, goes and buys a router, then he just gets it, keeps it there, does not even touch it. Unlikely he is going to patch his windows as well if not automated.

They just use the computer as tool, like a workbench.

I guess they do not even think about security.

Sure then you want to have by default auto updates enabled, to make sure his stuff is patched.

But if you are able, to administer your network/router/server, you want to still enable auto updates? no.

Sure you can use ansible, if the update is tested and then go deploy it, but uncontrolled auto updates, to risky.

If a update drops, and bricks the hardware, you are fucked yes.

• A propos Neoon:

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@bsdguy OMG that picture made my day.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Did... @bsdguy just post a pic?!?!? Soon it'll be animated gifs...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Neoon said: But if you are able, to administer your network/router/server, you want to still enable auto updates? no.

In certain cases I agree. In other cases I disagree. Sometimes automatic updates can be beneficial when applied and used correctly. Would I do this on my core switch, no. Would I do this on my core network server, no. Would a small, unimportant discord bot for music.... yes. In certain applications automatic updates will do absolutely fine.

Thanked by 1Clouvider