Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

what happens if a tld operator bankrupt?

what happens if a tld operator bankrupt?

omelasomelas Member
edited March 6 in Domains

I'm think about buy a domain for manage my (mostly idle:) vps, and a personal nextcloud

I don't worry about search engine dislike(as it won't public faced) but I wish it can be linked to 3rd party dns service

1. use free freenom domain. (I heard it isn't really mine and really short renew windows)
  2. buy cheapest (short) domain, like .win/.data/.bid/... (like namecheap $0.48 ones)
  3. get a proper domain with proper tld, like com/net/org

But I'm sceptical about lowend tlds profitability.. what happens if they go out of business?

Comments

• deankdeank Member

Why don't you make the decision on your own? It's not like a huge decision to make..., is it?

Morningwoodhosting. Somebody get it now.

• I keep two domains -- one for my personal website, and the other for services (e.g my image server). Whenever I need an additional hostname, I just create a subdomain.

My suggestion is to use #2 if you aren't hosting a public website on it.

• omelasomelas Member

@deank said: Why don't you make the decision on your own? It's not like a huge decision to make..., is it?

because posting and waiting doesn't hurt me?

• deankdeank Member
    edited March 6

Well, think for a sec. If you have to ask others' opinion for what seems to be a simple decision, what about bigger decisions? Like choosing your major or even marriage?

It's about standing on one's own feet.

• hammerhammer Member

@deank said: Well, think for a sec. If you have to ask others' opinion for what seems to be a simple decision, what about bigger decisions? Like choosing your major or even marriage?

It's about standing on one's own feet.

That is the only thing left bro. Can't wait when LET gets asked "should I marry that person?".

We have gotten all kinds of questions up to this point.

I am the ban hammer of LET. Fear Me.

• deankdeank Member

WSS and Nekki will have a field day for sure....

• AuroraZAuroraZ Member

We are not your parents. Put on your big girl panties and decide for yourself. FFS can't anyone think for themselves anymore? Now we have this stupid shit going on.

Dont'TalkAboutLetClub Free @WSS!! Free @WSS!!

upto32.com Retro at it's best

Thanked by 1deank
  • mkshmksh Member

You should buy a .accountant domain. It's the only option when accounting for idle VPS. Just make sure it's at least 16 chars long and your golden.

Thanked by 2Tom Aidan
  • bsdguybsdguy Member

@omelas said: I'm think about buy a domain for manage my (mostly idle:) vps, and a personal nextcloud

I don't worry about search engine dislike(as it won't public faced) but I wish it can be linked to 3rd party dns service

1. use free freenom domain. (I heard it isn't really mine and really short renew windows)
    2. buy cheapest (short) domain, like .win/.data/.bid/... (like namecheap $0.48 ones)
    3. get a proper domain with proper tld, like com/net/org

I strongly advise against buying a domain. In fact, I know a guy who bought a domain and got bitten by it. Just 42 years later he died!

My favourite prime number is 42. - \forall cpu in {intel, amd, arm}: cpu->speed -= cpu->speed/100 x irandom(15, 30) | state := hacked

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul omelas
  • Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member

Get a free OpenNIC TLD here: https://www.opennic.org/

• omelasomelas Member

I should've asked more specific question like "does random tld reliable? or can the Operator go boom their root dns shut off like summerhosts?"

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited March 6

I would go with a cheap .xyz since Alphabet(Google) does.

It's just for hostnames after all.

omelas said: I should've asked more specific question like "does random tld reliable? or can the Operator go boom their root dns shut off like summerhosts?"

You're overthinking this.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • If TLD provider goes bank corrupt then you don't need to worry to much about it because of your domain will be safe. You can transfer your domain to other registrar or you can get it from ICANN.

Cheap $9/Year Hosting(US/UK/Canada/ES) - Cheap Windows VPS Hosting from Dewlance & Linux Xen VPS at low price. PreMadeKb.com WHMCS/Blesta Readymade Knowledgebase

DewlanceVPS said: You can transfer your domain to other registrar or you can get it from ICANN.

He said TLD operator. So presumably he's worried about something like Verisign going bankrupt. Or if in Australia the auDA going out of business, for example. That's too theoretical to be taken seriously.

I have a feeling though that the OP is a little confused. Also, if there is no requirement for a "public faced" domain then OpenNIC is indeed the perfect solution for him. I use them for a few things.

Thanked by 2klikli DewlanceVPS
  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited March 6

Ole_Juul said: He said TLD operator. So presumably he's worried about something like Verisign going bankrupt. Or if in Australia the auDA going out of business, for example. That's too theoretical to be taken seriously.

Why? TLDs are operated by all sorts of companies these days, some created for managing these "new" TLDs specifically. For instance do you know who operates ".win" or ".top"? Some outfit called Famous Four Media from Gibraltar of all places, and "The .top registry" from China, respectively. Chances of these "...who?" companies going bankrupt are "too theoretical", really? The latter one, from the name, likely doesn't have anything else behind it, probably got some investment to try for a TLD ($180000 USD upfront + ongoing costs), and bets everything on its success or failure.

Ole_Juul said: I have a feeling though that the OP is a little confused.

I have a feeling you still live in 1998 where there's barely any TLDs besides .com or .au, and those few which exist will be here forever.

omelas said: get a proper domain with proper tld, like com/net/org

My advice would be to go with that. Just don't be silly and don't try to have a separate domain for every little project or website, get one solid domain after your name or nickname, and everything else can be subdomains in that. Given you need just one, it won't matter that it's "expensive" (a whopping $8/year! or the like)

Don't worry 144 ms is fine for Heavy monsoon

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul ucxo
  • defaultdefault Member

I also think it's too theoretical. In the end a company can be bought, and a TLD can be put up for auction.

Black Friday 2017 winner: Veesp.com

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

FlamesRunner said: My suggestion is to use #2 if you aren't hosting a public website on it.

I'd disagree. These .tlds tend to go up when the operators realise there's not enough money. Good example is .host here. I'd stick with a long established tld - always.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@Clouvider said:

FlamesRunner said: My suggestion is to use #2 if you aren't hosting a public website on it.

I'd disagree. These .tlds tend to go up when the operators realise there's not enough money. Good example is .host here. I'd stick with a long established tld - always.

Agreed. All those semi free TLDs might cost an arm and a leg tommorow. Nothing wrong with using one internally though as long as you know this and are prepared to dump it at any given time. Still for anything even somewhat official com/net/org or ccTLD is the way to go. All those new TLDs look 99% silly and unprofessional anyways.

• AidanAidan Member

omelas said: use free freenom domain. (I heard it isn't really mine and really short renew windows)

I hope your site never generates any traffic, or else they'll rip the domain out from under your feet.

omelas said: buy cheapest (short) domain, like .win/.data/.bid/... (like namecheap $0.48 ones)

Depending on who the owner is, some are notoriously known to increase their renewal fee by more than 100x after the first year.

omelas said: get a proper domain with proper tld, like com/net/org

Probably best, at least you know it'll be around in a couple of years.

• that_guythat_guy Member

I don't understand one thing:

@omelas said: (mostly idle:) vps, and a personal nextcloud

it won't public faced

So why are you worried about the reliability? What horrible things will happen if your private vps looses its domain? Just get another one, and access it via IP in the meantime!

I'd risk freenom, and not give a f*** if they disable it for some reason. Because: why should I?

Or if you want to play it safe, get a proper dirt cheap domain like .ru from https://ru-tld.ru/en/domain-registration/ for ~2.85€/year. Or whatever is the cheapest.

Personally, I don't like/trust all those 1000 new LTDs like .travel .doctor .holiday etc. Mostly for reasons already mentioned by others. But they make for great (IRC-)hostnames and domainhacks (e.g. kill.your.lawyer).

"i no have time now, i spam when you all sleep" -gonduriya

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 6

.info domains are about $3/y with some popular registrars. 10 million or so registered domains. Big boat to sink.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

.ovh is even cheaper and has (semi-) privacy by default. Plus it follows AFNIC's policy rather than Uncle Sam's.

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6".

• mrTommrTom Member

BTW .de is also pretty cheap, reputable and definitely wont go out of business for the next 100 years.

• deankdeank Member

If a "tld operator" goes deadpool, the end will be here.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Some tlds are retar retired, sometimes. https://www.dottld.net/chloe

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • rm_rm_ Member

deank said: If a "tld operator" goes deadpool, the end will be here.

Another one didn't get the memo that everyone and their dog are a TLD operator these days. Days when TLDs were operated only by state institutions or century old corporations are long gone.

Thanked by 3Aidan Ole_Juul ucxo
  • deankdeank Member

@rm_ said: Another one didn't get the memo that everyone and their dog are a TLD operator these days. Days when TLDs were operated only by state institutions or century old corporations are long gone.

Well, you didn't get that, when I say "end is nigh" of some sort, I never mean it. I thought I've been here long enough to make that my behavior.... Guess not.

• hammerhammer Member

My non-existant dog is a tld operator wow. I hope he is willing to give me one.

I am the ban hammer of LET. Fear Me.

• rm_rm_ Member

deank said: Well, you didn't get that, when I say "end is nigh" of some sort, I never mean it. I thought I've been here long enough to make that my behavior.... Guess not.

Sorry, never noticed any of such posts. Better make a FAQ page to explain your memes to people.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • deankdeank Member

Meh, doesn't matter, I stand by what I said.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

Painful confession: I don't have/run a private tld.

May I stay here at LET anyway? I beg the admins and mods for mercy.

My favourite prime number is 42. - \forall cpu in {intel, amd, arm}: cpu->speed -= cpu->speed/100 x irandom(15, 30) | state := hacked

• deankdeank Member

You may not. Leave and re-join LET with a new account.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited March 6

The future looks bright for DotLet Inc. Anyone interested? .let .moron .cheapo .thx

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • mkshmksh Member

@hammer said: My non-existant dog is a tld operator wow. I hope he is willing to give me one.

Much to your suprise it's even called dot dog.

Thanked by 1hammer
  • msg7086msg7086 Member

Simply use those unimportant domain names for those unimportant services. Chances are your VPS provider will go bankrupted before those TLD providers.

rm_ said: I have a feeling you still live in 1998 where there's barely any TLDs besides .com or .au, and those few which exist will be here forever.

Yeah, I guess that's where I was coming from. I haven't actually considered those .screwdriver and whatnot domains as being anything much. I guess low price could be a good reason to use them.

rm_ said: My advice would be to go with that. Just don't be silly and don't try to have a separate domain for every little project or website, get one solid domain after your name or nickname, and everything else can be subdomains in that. Given you need just one, it won't matter that it's "expensive" (a whopping $8/year! or the like)

Why spend money for a domain if it's not going to go on the web anyway?

Aidan said: I hope your site never generates any traffic, or else they'll rip the domain out from under your feet.

Yes, regarding Freenom that's true. In fact in this case they will drop it for sure because there is a requirement to have an internet facing web site. I know from experience that they actually check. You will get an email reminding you of that and saying your domain has been disabled. In fact if your site is only IPv6 they will do that.

So, like I said before, an OpenNIC domain is the logical choice for this project. And the OP can have as many domains as he likes for free.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited March 7

Ole_Juul said: Why spend money for a domain if it's not going to go on the web anyway?

Why not spend money for just one good solid domain in your life? You can then host everything on it, E-Mail, website, blog, DynDNS for your home network, etc. As for "not going on the web", quoting the OP,

omelas said: a personal nextcloud

What if you want to access files from your NextCloud while at an Internet cafe, or a friend's place? Will you screw around with his router setting up OpenNIC? and you will not be allowed to change anything in a cafe anyway. So better always have all your VPS IPs written down on a piece of paper with you, just in case! Really?

• WSSWSS Member

If it's a pointless/worthless TLD, it dies.

If someone thinks it's worth keeping, they take over the TLD.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

rm_ said: Why not spend money for just one good solid domain in your life?

I'm with you. But the OP specifically said it was not going to be public facing.

omelas said: as it won't public faced

• rm_rm_ Member

Ole_Juul said: But the OP specifically said it was not going to be public facing.

So? Did you only read the 1st sentence in my post. The scenario I described is still "not public facing". Just yourself needing to access your stuff from a new/unknown/temporary location. Either have a non-toy domain (non-OpenNIC), or face inconveniences.

rm_ said: So? Did you only read the 1st sentence in my post. The scenario I described is still "not public facing". Just yourself needing to access your stuff from a new/unknown/temporary location. Either have a non-toy domain (non-OpenNIC), or face inconveniences.

Sure, I basically agree. However you attitude stinks. I guess being a jerk is part of classic LET style though. :)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ Member

Ole_Juul said: However you attitude

I see, you are one of those people who take it personal when shown to be wrong in a discussion.

rm_ said: I see, you are one of those people who take it personal when shown to be wrong in a discussion.

And what in particular is wrong? There is some room for opinion in this discussion.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited March 7

Ole_Juul said: And what in particular is wrong?

I guess something is, as you first tried to ignore 95% of my reply, then went full-on butthurt when pointed specifically back at it.

Ole_Juul said: There is some room for opinion in this discussion.

There was, until you started calling people with a different one jerks.

rm_ said: I guess something is, as you at first tried to ignore 95% of my reply, then went full-on butthurt when pointed specifically back at it.

???

Nevermind. :)

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said: Painful confession: I don't have/run a private tld.

Wait, I thought your .lan was called .hairybastard?

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@WSS said:

@bsdguy said: Painful confession: I don't have/run a private tld.

Wait, I thought your .lan was called .hairybastard?

It absolutely is! But that's just my LAN, my windows domain (or however that crap is called).

My attempts to establish it as tld failed. "Too hairy", "someone as ugly as you doesn't get a tld" and similar were the reasons they denied it. But I'm still a little sad. Just imagine how cool it would be to have [email protected] as email! * sigh

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@Ole_Juul said:

rm_ said: I have a feeling you still live in 1998 where there's barely any TLDs besides .com or .au, and those few which exist will be here forever.

Yeah, I guess that's where I was coming from. I haven't actually considered those .screwdriver and whatnot domains as being anything much. I guess low price could be a good reason to use them.

Signed.

Plus: Usually it's a rip off anyway. It's 50c/year until the tld is halfway established and then they rise prices heftily. And/or renewal and transfer is 20$. Saw something like that with plenty new tlds, just recently with .site.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 7

@bsdguy said:

@Ole_Juul said:

Signed.

Plus: Usually it's a rip off anyway. It's 50c/year until the tld is halfway established and then they rise prices heftily. And/or renewal and transfer is 20$. Saw something like that with plenty new tlds, just recently with .site.

Yeah, at 50c it's not to bad but beyond that... I am using a bunch of them as throwaway domains with the chance of me renewing them being absolutly zero. I'll just let them expire and get whatever cheap shit extension will be on offer then. Not even those 5 years $5 deals or whatever Namecheap was/is offering are worth it imo.