Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does 2 IP on Linux VPS means I'll have two VNICs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does 2 IP on Linux VPS means I'll have two VNICs

sarisarisarisari Member
edited March 2018 in Help

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to use an online VPS as private VPN Server. I want to install Endian Community Edition for VPN Server, with GUI management. I don't know much but I know that Endian works best with at least two v-NICs, RED/GREEN.

I was wondering what if I buy a VPS package from a Host that offers morethan 1 IPv4 for one VPS, will it provide me 2 v-Interfaces so I can set one as RED and other as GREEN and setup my private VPN Server with GUI.

I have tried setting up OpenVPN through Terminal in the past, it worked but I had no GUI to manage or see what is going on in my VPN. I am not so advanced to find out all from Terminal so would love to go Web Interface (GUI) to see everything, that's why I want Endian and for Endian I require 2 Virtual NICs

Comments

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

Usually, you will have 1 actual NIC with both IPs bound to the one device.

Some providers should be able to create an additional virtual NIC device for you, if requested.

We can do this by request.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Generally you will only get a single NIC, as launchvps mentioned some providers may be able to accommodate creating a second NIC via a ticket.

you can also create a sub-interface in the form of eth0:1, or if your second IP is routed then you could create a loopback interface and assign the IP to that.

• Thanks a lot guys, at least now I know it is not as easy as I was expecting, at least I know I have to inquire before I go for it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I miss the days when Linux had sane names for its devices.

Thanked by 3Harambe mksh risharde
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

What, enp2s0 isn't easy enough for you to remember?

Thanked by 2raindog308 MasonR
  • ENS18

• mkshmksh Member

@raindog308 said:

Adding net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 to your kernel command line might make the pain go away.

• Generally one would be the main nic and one would be a sub-nic like the above-mentioned eth0:1, etc. However, with this scenario, you could route the second IP to anywhere you want (It does not have to be on the same machine). For example, if you have VPN server running, you could route this IP to a VPN client on your network, so a machine connected via VPN could have the secondary IP address : -)... good luck!