Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulling my hair out
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pulling my hair out

I have this server in philly that I have been using to serve plex via gdrive for the last 6 months, but since the last week I have started experiencing severe buffering on even a single stream. I thought their network has gone to shit and rented a sys server in Canada, and it's doing the same thing, tried another server and same thing.

So it seems like the problem could be on my end, but I have a gigabit connection and all servers are setup via cloudflare. My speed test shows 800mb download and ping is only 12ms via cloudflare. I don't know what else to test, nothing has changed in terms of configuration. Any ideas?

Comments

• Have you tried it without cloudflare? What kind of client/appliance do you use on your local end (to watch)?

• Where is your end? Could this be Comcast DPS or something? Try encrypting the connection.

• TomTom Member

machine123 said: via cloudflare

Plex with Cloudflare? lol, cloudflare isn't supposed to be used like that. Try it without.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Comcast DPS

What is that?

• mkshmksh Member

@raindog308 said:

willie said: Comcast DPS

What is that?

I think he ment DPI? Not sure though.

• mksh said: I think he ment DPI? Not sure though.

Oops yes. Deep packet inspection. They slow down certain kinds of traffic when it suits them.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ah. Being Comcast, I figured DPS meant "Dark Perverted Satanism" or something like that.

But now that I think about it, that's too mild for them. DPI makes more sense.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I thought it was Damage Per Second. Played too much game, sorry.

Thanked by 3mksh MasonR FHR
  • I am in Canada, on Rogers network, no Comcast. I have tried without cloudflair and same issue. I am using an nVidia Shield to direct play content.

@Tom said:

machine123 said: via cloudflare

Plex with Cloudflare? lol, cloudflare isn't supposed to be used like that. Try it without.

Sorry, you are wrong about that.

• TomTom Member

machine123 said: Sorry, you are wrong about that.

>

Wrong about what?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Wrong about him being bald.

• machine123machine123 Member
    edited March 2018

Cloudflair works percetly with Plex, it is the recommended way to use Plex using a reverse proxy to provide better peering, it has been working flawless for the last 6 months. I do appreciate the help, but you are incorrect in saying that cloudflare isn't supposed to be used with Plex.

• mkshmksh Member

@deank said:
    Wrong about him being bald.

That brings us to an important question: How much hair have you pulled out by now exactly, @machine123? It's also critical to know where you pulled it from.

Thanked by 1deank
  • CF isn't meant to be your personal edge cache for movies. Anyways, you're using the Shield on WiFi right? Did you test your local wifi speeds? Can you move to the 5ghz spectrum (if the AP and Shield support it)?

• machine123machine123 Member
    edited March 2018

@vmp32k said:
    CF isn't meant to be your personal edge cache for movies. Anyways, you're using the Shield on WiFi right? Did you test your local wifi speeds? Can you move to the 5ghz spectrum (if the AP and Shield support it)?

Shield is connected via ehternet to a gigabit modem, which is connected to my router.

The only two things I can think of, is either google has restricted or put throttling on drive, or my ISP is throttling.

• Bypass GD by putting a test video file on the local storage on the Plex box

• Have you tried turning it on and off, tech Guy?

• machine123 said:

I am in Canada, on Rogers network, no Comcast.

It could be Rogers DPI which works out about the same way. Quick web search shows it's a thing.

• @bashlyk said:
    Bypass GD by putting a test video file on the local storage on the Plex box

That's a good suggestion, I will try that. Thanks

• Jake4Jake4 Member

Try with a VPN if you suspect it's your ISP causing it.