Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

March Madness - Lots of offers from lots of hosts! || GOOD DEALS INSIDE! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

March Madness - Lots of offers from lots of hosts! || GOOD DEALS INSIDE!

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:

Crandolph said: You can stream videos in 120p!

I can never tell if your playing the fool or if you really are just ignorant (I am aware this will read as an attack, I just cant think of a better word) of how things work generally?

MB not mbit

It's called a joke.

It's still a shit connection, clearly not serious, and clearly exaggeration.

120p streaming doesn't even exist.

It's not that serious.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Crandolph said: It's called a joke.

Fair one, I really was not sure :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

Crandolph said: It's called a joke.

Fair one, I really was not sure :)

One has to grant thought, that it flies over the pond in the weekend peak. It could still be better though :-)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

6ixth said: I'm kind of sad, I gradually get up to my max speed using their test file and then it just DROPS to 100-500 KB/s and I'm with BT in the UK.

>

40Mbps on my Virgin line :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

hawc said: 40Mbps on my Virgin line :)

About 35Mb/s on mine, although I was streaming HD video at the time.

• Ukraine VPS:

4 Core

4GB RAM

25GB HDD

Unmetered 100Mbps

1 x IP

OpenVZ

$4/m or $40/y

Very Limited.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • @Nekki said:

hawc said: 40Mbps on my Virgin line :)

About 35Mb/s on mine, although I was streaming HD video at the time.

Maxes my connection out all the way through and I'm also on BT.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

IThinkUFailed said: Maxes my connection out all the way through and I'm also on BT.

BT's shite though, tbf.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @Nekki said:

IThinkUFailed said: Maxes my connection out all the way through and I'm also on BT.

BT's shite though, tbf.

Only every had 2-3 problems over the last like 8 or so years. Speed could definitely be better but it's mostly been solid for me. Would love VirginMedia tho just for the juicy speeds.

All I know is BT and Virgin etc all vary in quality based on location for the most part.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

IThinkUFailed said: Only every had 2-3 problems over the last like 8 or so years. Speed could definitely be better but it's mostly been solid for me. Would love VirginMedia tho just for the juicy speeds.

All I know is BT and Virgin etc all vary in quality based on location for the most part.

VM ain't all it's cut out to be, and who really needs more than 100Mb up?

• @Nekki said:

IThinkUFailed said: Only every had 2-3 problems over the last like 8 or so years. Speed could definitely be better but it's mostly been solid for me. Would love VirginMedia tho just for the juicy speeds.

VM ain't all it's cut out to be, and who really needs more than 100Mb up?

I'd love more than 6Mbps up but wouldn't turn my nose up at greater than 100Mbps up. Would love more than 40Mbps down though but life's a bitch when it comes to speeds in my area.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

IThinkUFailed said: I'd love more than 6Mbps up but wouldn't turn my nose up at greater than 100Mbps up. Would love more than 40Mbps down though but life's a bitch when it comes to speeds in my area.

I don't know why the fuck I typed 'up', I meant 'down'. No cunt has more than 30Mb up other than Hyperoptic.

• WolfWolf Member

Still hoping for a reasonable priced server with dedicated GPU. (1060 / 1070 / 1080)

No need for NVME stuff or latest CPU. Not much traffic and it will sit idle 80% of time. Maybe even a VM with passthrough?

Would be okay to deny mining of any kind, only need it for education purpose (ML/AI).

Cheers,

• hzrhzr Member

It's not legal to download/install nvidia drivers if you're using a GeForce commercially in a DC, IIRC.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki said:

Crandolph said: Word around town is France is right by it.

@Neoon

This chap is trying to steal the crown of most miserable cheapskate-bastard on LET, you may want to have a word.

Well, I did not wanted to comment anymore on this thread.

All I see is just that LET turns to WHT.

• @Ustalla ipv6?

• UstallaUstalla Member
    edited March 2018

@tenpera

No sorry - should of mentioned

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited March 2018

@Nekki said:

BT's shite though, tbf.

How is it shit? I doubt there's a better option for international connectivity on standard FTTC. I can max my connection to Australia solid but for some reason on specific West US services that are cheap as fuck (IOFLOOD, Nocix, WSI etc) it's trash.

edited March 2018

IOflood is not in the same budget bag as nocix and WSI I assure you.

Give me an example of an Australian test file that maxes your BT connection please, I want to test it on my BT business FTTC which gets latency to most of Australia close to 300ms.

My talktalk home FTTC > BT FTTC in my experience, that said it all VERY MUCH depends on your local exchange setup/congestion...

Thanked by 1funkywizard
  • 6ixth6ixth Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    IOflood is not in the same budget bag as nocix and WSI I assure you.

Give me an example of an Australian test file that maxes your BT connection please, I want to test it on my BT business FTTC which gets latency to most of Australia close to 300ms.

My talktalk home FTTC > BT FTTC in my experience, that said it all VERY MUCH depends on your local exchange setup/congestion...

Can't get one right now but it was ServersAustralia and I believe I also maxed a Sydney OVH server (my top speed is 48-50Mbps). Congestion is something I don't deal with in my town, I get full speed 24/7 with no limitation.

Hopefully I'll get VM one day.

edited March 2018

I dont get it with talktalk as they are unbundled (or whatever the term for LLC is these days for FTTC) with BT I might as well be using DSL it is so shit.

Odd, i only get 160KB/s ish from ServersAustralia 306ms avg. (which is as expected), I had not even considered it possible to get that sort of speed (50Mbps) single threaded from AUS<>UK

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Neoon said: All I see is just that LET turns to WHT.

Still No.1

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Jake4Jake4 Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I dont get it with talktalk as they are unbundled (or whatever the term for LLC is these days for FTTC) with BT I might as well be using DSL it is so shit.

Odd, i only get 160KB/s ish from ServersAustralia 306ms avg. (which is as expected), I had not even considered it possible to get that sort of speed (50Mbps) single threaded from AUS<>UK

LLU*, Also BT has better overall peering aswell as will give you a better ping as because they own openreach so then they just stick your bandwidth ontop of anyone elses requests to the exchange. For example I'm getting 310ms on talktalk to Australia and when I had BT I was getting 300ms (to same server on same line)

• funkywizardfunkywizard Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

The IOFlood storage server looks great.

Thanks!

Have they run offers here before?

This is our first offer here : )

I see "we love servers" on their site and wonder if they're connected with the old host of that name.

>

Nope, we are not associated with "weloveservers.net" -- we registered the .com to protect our slogan before they even existed!

if IOFlood is here, can I ask how many of those things you have? I think I'll resist right now but the offer makes me want to consolidate and cancel several of my current dedis. ( @Nekki : the IOFlood server looks to be in Phoenix AZ if that matters to you).

Demand has been surprisingly strong so far. We've got a lot of hard drives and a decent number of these servers. So, at the current rate, we can probably stay in stock for a few more days, but will probably be sold out by the end of the week.

Thanked by 3pxhaxor Aidan uptime

@AnthonySmith said:
    Congratulations to the trolls that have proven how bitter and toxic they are and completely missed the point of this 4 times a year idea to simply showcase what is available without limits instead of changing any core rules

Not that it really needed to be proven, the other 99% knew that already I guess.

I really like this format, and think the quarterly aspect of it will make it stronger over time.

If there were no haters or trolls, it means that nobody cares : )

@Tom said:

@Trav said:
    I just grabbed an I/O Flood 18TB server, too good of a deal to pass up.

Same grabbed one yesterday - waiting for the deploy :-)

Our staff is working hard on these as we speak : )

Expecting everyone who ordered yesterday most likely will get their servers today. Tomorrow at the latest.

Thanked by 1Tom
    edited March 2018

@hzr said:
    It's not legal to download/install nvidia drivers if you're using a GeForce commercially in a DC, IIRC.

I believe that there are a couple caveats to that:

1) For crypto mining they allow it

2) The license wasn't always this way, so presumably older versions may still have the old license applied

3) I believe there is an open source nvidia driver for linux. Not sure how well it works

And finally -- what is nvidia thinking? That's crazy.

Thanked by 1Aidan

@6ixth said:

@Tom said:

@Trav said:
    I just grabbed an I/O Flood 18TB server, too good of a deal to pass up.

Same grabbed one yesterday - waiting for the deploy :-)

I'm kind of sad, I gradually get up to my max speed using their test file and then it just DROPS to 100-500 KB/s and I'm with BT in the UK.

Guess that sucks balls.

That's strange. It almost sounds like your ISP throttling you. That, or a quirk with TCP congestion algorithms. Haven't made any attempt to optimize the VM hosting the test file. It's not exactly a "best case scenario" test.

Either way, performance to Europe is limited by the large distance from here to there. There's probably some room for tweaks, but ultimately single-threaded downloads won't be totally amazing.

@Clouvider said:

@Nekki said:

6ixth said: Test it first to make sure you get decent speeds.

Clouvider, Enfield: 1.00MB/s

Fiberoute, Goswell Road: 4.98MB/s

Probably not going to work out, shame, but all my shit is in the UK so it was always going to be challenging.

Could try to make them use a different inbound route - definitely not great.

We're using Border6 for outbound (from the datacenter) route optimization. Borde6 is similar to Noction. Works well for avoiding packet loss / latency.

As far as I know, none of the route optimizers are able to determine / optimize for bandwidth on the path, but optimizing for packet loss does most of the job there.

Inbound (to the datacenter) path selection is mostly up to your ISP

• hzrhzr Member

140ms is pretty good from Hyperoptic London

traceroute to ioflood.com (199.231.84.66), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  gateway (192.168.1.1)  0.459 ms  0.845 ms  1.204 ms
     2  xxxx.bcube.co.uk (xxxx)  8.579 ms  8.841 ms  9.098 ms
     3  172.16.19.68 (172.16.19.68)  29.986 ms  30.576 ms  31.272 ms
     4  172.16.22.37 (172.16.22.37)  13.113 ms  13.639 ms  14.558 ms
     5  172.17.2.140 (172.17.2.140)  12.758 ms  13.365 ms  14.275 ms
     6  172.16.19.242 (172.16.19.242)  9.772 ms  2.594 ms  3.736 ms
     7  172.16.22.224 (172.16.22.224)  4.102 ms  4.361 ms  4.616 ms
     8  172.16.20.96 (172.16.20.96)  4.950 ms  5.210 ms *
     9  172.16.25.23 (172.16.25.23)  5.689 ms  5.946 ms  6.200 ms
    10  ae19-2272.cr0-lon1.ip4.gtt.net (77.67.83.113)  9.384 ms  8.160 ms  9.707 ms
    11  xe-11-0-3.cr0-phx1.ip4.gtt.net (89.149.186.186)  146.826 ms  147.146 ms  147.932 ms
    12  gw.ip4.gtt.net (216.221.159.30)  144.502 ms gw.ip4.gtt.net (216.221.159.26)  143.893 ms  144.151 ms
    13  108.170.0.29 (108.170.0.29)  145.921 ms  146.182 ms  146.739 ms
    14  * * *
    15  e5-2620v2x2.bl-phx0.1.141.11.14.d3.securedservers.com (184.164.138.170)  155.808 ms  156.115 ms  156.593 ms
    16  ioflood.com (199.231.84.66)  142.032 ms  144.132 ms  141.877 ms