Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to find abusive VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to find abusive VPS?

AsimAsim Member
edited February 2012 in Help

My node specs

Quad Core Intel XEON E3-1230 @ 3.2 Ghz (8 cores)
12 GB Ram
1TB Drive Sata3 (6 Gbits)
@ DimeNoc datacenter

I have KVM virtualization (with SolusVM) running on it. I have 4 VPS created and running smoothly. The only issue that I see is, that all these VMs (two 256MB boxes and one 512MB box) have a loadavg of either 0.0 or 0.1 but overall the entire node is showing a loadavg of 1.0 which cannot be right since the node specs are way too muchf or what I am using right now. So somewhere something is causing a load for the node.

My question (and especially to the providers), how do you find abusive vm?

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

With a single (sata I suppose) drive I think that the load is I/O related. Do you see some io waiting running top?

• AsimAsim Member
    edited February 2012

htop -d 2 or top in any of the VMs of the host shows no activity or no timed activity (crontabs etc)

I rebooted all VMs and the host load dropped down to 0.01 so there was some process which was stuck or something

My question remains, how to identify a abusing or resource-hog vm without rebooting all vms or the host node itself?

• Run top on the node, see which process is stuck running "R" or waiting for io - "D" state.

• @rds100 well I am no expert in VPS industry, running a node to keep my tens of vms in one place. Right now I rebooted all VMs (three total at the moment) and the loadavg dropped to '0' so top is not giving me anything

I thought I am missing out on some tools or scripts to find abusers, if there are any, please share it with me (even in PM if you dont want to share in public)

• @Asim,

I'd think virt-top (http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top/) might be useful.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @eLohkCalb

Wow, This is exactly the kind of utilities I was missing. Thanks

• @Asim sorry, i don't run KVM VPSes, only OpenVZ, and there it is easy, the SolusVM panel shows you graphs of the load of the node, and which VPS generates how much load.

• @rds100 using KVM slaves, SolusVM only shows traffic usage per VM but the load graphs are collective :(

Now I know when @Francisco used to say that SolusVM has limited KVM support

• Still if you ssh on the node and run "top", every VPS should show there as a single KVM process and you should be able to see which process uses much CPU time.

Also iostat should show which lvm volume gets how much reads/writes.

• AsimAsim Member
    edited February 2012

I just found the problem, the VMs running CentOS 6.2 have issues consuming too much CPU. I installed it from CentOS 6.2 minimal ISO and there is nothing else installed over it.

Probably another CentOS 6.x bug? If I turn this VM off, the load drops to 0, if its on, it gradually starts going up until max 1 loadavg

iostat shows no credible io activity

• Is it bad to have a load of 1.0 when you have 8 cores?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

No not really.

• @Asim said: If I turn this VM off, the load drops to 0, if its on, it gradually starts going up until max 1 loadavg

Is this an installed VPS or one that is booting to an ISO still? I do notice I'll get 100% CPU on a core while a VPS idles at the install screen of a boot CD

• @miTgiB correct. or when it's stuck on grub boot loader.