Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VNC for virtualized chrome/FF instance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VNC for virtualized chrome/FF instance?

JonchunJonchun Member
edited March 2018 in General

I'm looking to self-host something similar to rabb.it, but with the limited research I've done, wasn't able to find anything like this. I want to be able to run a headless linux server and run just the browser gui (which I believe is possible).

Any ideas/pointers into the right direction for this?

Edit:

Looks like people are just posting a bunch of remote control software. To clarify, I want to be able to self-host a personal instance of a rabb.it room. This means, I should be able to control and watch video/audio via my browser. VIA BROWSER is important.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member
    edited March 2018

i used apache guacamole for this (web ui)

for server side, you can have vncserver start a firefox INSTEAD OF say, gnome

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited March 2018

@hzr said:

ah. how does this work with audio? have you tried watching videos via vnc?

• hzrhzr Member

VNC sucks ass for anything fast moving.

• @Jonchun said:

@hzr said:

ah. how does this work with audio? have you tried watching videos via vnc?

VNC alone will transfer video without any audio. For audio, you could do some additional pulseaudio configuration to get audio though.

Going the guacamole route, IIRC, it use to transfer audio for RDP connections. Though, the quality (for me) wasn't sufficient.

May be best to rather go the route of TeamViewer, AnyDesk or something similar that already has a supported Linux client package.

• I am pretty sure there is someone here who offer $2 a month RDP and it has chrome / Firefox pre-install ed

• @Jonchun said:
    I'm looking to self-host something similar to rabb.it, but with the limited research I've done, wasn't able to find anything like this. I want to be able to run a headless linux server and run just the browser gui (which I believe is possible).

Welcome back! You haven’t posted any offers in a while — what’s up?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2018

Seriously, you talk about VNC and your first questions are how it plays audio and video? Audio it doesn't, video at 30-40 Megabytes/second of basically uncompressed frame-by-frame data, achieving a FPS of 10-20 at most. VNC is very usable given the right settings and conditions, but not for that. My main desktop is in VNC and I use it both over a Gbit LAN and a ~10 Mbit WAN connections (with different client settings), but for video and for music in both cases there's a separate locally-launched browser and media player.

• @rm_ said:
    Seriously, you talk about VNC and your first questions are how it plays audio and video? Audio it doesn't, video at 30-40 Megabytes/second of basically uncompressed frame-by-frame data, achieving a FPS of 10-20 at most. VNC is very usable given the right settings and conditions, but not for that. My main desktop is in VNC and I use it both over a Gbit LAN and a ~10 Mbit WAN connections (with different client settings), but for video and for music in both cases there's a separate locally-launched browser and media player.

Which is why I asked about it... I'm trying to figure out how to have something similar to the rabbit service, but self hosted. Vnc, the obvious optioin for a remote virtualized desktop is not really great for this, but someone brought it up anyways...

@doghouch said:

@Jonchun said:

Welcome back! You haven’t posted any offers in a while — what’s up?

Been mostly lurking. LET is no longer as interesting as it was, and IMO the clients it attracts are starting to lean more and more towards WHT-style clients. May be another post will happen soon. We'll see ;)

• Deb/Ubuntu + xrdp is bearable

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

NoMachine or x2go