Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got fiber installed at my place, finally!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just got fiber installed at my place, finally!

Wohoo! Yes, so I just got Telus fiber optic installed today at my place. Installation took about 3 hours for one tech. I am really excited about this, as the maximum I could get with copper wire was 50Mbps. Now I'm on 250/250Mbps symmetrical plan unlimited.

I live in a rural area and they've done an amazing job at revamping the whole neighborhood with fiber the past two months, and I'm sure that I'm one of the first to get it installed! Now here some obligatory speed results:

Before:

After:

With my VPN:

I'm pretty satisfied for the price I pay ($60/mo unl), that's pretty cheap for this in Canada. Even the VPN results impresses me a lot. I've read that adding a VPN on top of a fiber connection makes it useless, but I found it's not the case here.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2netomx Kris
A little Poll
  1. Did you got fiber at your home ?83 votes
    1. Yes
      39.76%
    2. No
      60.24%

Comments

• i wish ;(

Thanked by 2FredQc SplitIce
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

no data cap? surprising for Canada from what I've heard. I wish I could get fiber to my house, but no ISP has fiber in the neighborhood, probably won't for years. Eventually I'll probably move to Austin since Google Fiber is down there. Can't beat gigabit symmetrical for $70ish USD.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

@MikeA said:
    no data cap? surprising for Canada from what I've heard. I wish I could get fiber to my house, but no ISP has fiber in the neighborhood, probably won't for years. Eventually I'll probably move to Austin since Google Fiber is down there. Can't beat gigabit symmetrical for $70ish USD.

Just got Google Fiber in my area ;-)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • MikeA said: no data cap? surprising for Canada from what I've heard.

Unlimited is $13/mo extra, I've got a $13/mo rebates for the next 24 months. They just said to call back in two years to get it extended :P

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Crandolph said:

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited March 2018

Crandolph said: @MikeA said: no data cap? surprising for Canada from what I've heard. I wish I could get fiber to my house, but no ISP has fiber in the neighborhood, probably won't for years. Eventually I'll probably move to Austin since Google Fiber is down there. Can't beat gigabit symmetrical for $70ish USD.

@MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

intensifying

• i wish, 1km from main line. max 500m to pulling cables from main lines. :(

currently using LTE and got 20mbps speed in my country, not so bad.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • @MikeA said:

a better would be banholf, $60/m for 10 Gbit/s

/s

edited March 2018

This is what I have. I think I pay around 65cad/mo.

Never really hit that speed for any downloads though.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • emghemgh Member

@sibaper said:

@MikeA said:

a better would be banholf, $60/m for 10 Gbit/s

/s

I use Bahnhof. I only need their 100/100 package though. Great provider. Even invested some awhile back.

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • deank said: This is what I have.

This is 300Mbps package I suppose. I think it was replaced with 500Mbps package. Saw that on dslreports forums.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Congrats. I'm stuck with 120-160 down/12-16 up cable for the time being, definitely not the worst but would love fiber.

Thanked by 1FredQc
    edited March 2018

@FredQc said:
    This is 300Mbps package I suppose. I think it was replaced with 500Mbps package. Saw that on dslreports forums.

My original package was 60Mbps. They upgraded it without telling me. I ain't complaining of course.

• deank said: My original package was 60Mbps. They upgraded it without telling me.

Ah, that explains why you're not paying so much :P Enjoy!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2018

@FredQc I have fibre now with Bell and it’s been stellar! First time it was super oversold, but when I returned they put me on a new link back to the central office :)

• doghouch said: I have fibre now with Bell and it’s been stellar! First time it was super oversold, but when I returned they put me on a new link back to the central office :)

Nice :) So, as I see, Bell does not offer symmetrical speeds for fiber? Or maybe price is higher ?

My 60Mps was symmetrical. I know that for sure. I stopped caring for some years and they put me on some new plan.

• congrats, my fiber only have max 100Mbps/25Mbps

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • 6ixth6ixth Member

@logaritse said:
    congrats, my fiber only have max 100Mbps/25Mbps

My fiber is only 40/5 :(

• @FredQc said:

I've read that adding a VPN on top of a fiber connection makes it useless, but I found it's not the case here.

??

• FredQc said: I live in a rural area and they've done an amazing job at revamping the whole neighborhood with fiber the past two months,

Congratulations. :) I guess you're in a different kind of "rural" from me since you actually have a neighborhood. I'd call that urban. I don't think actual rural areas are going to get fiber any time soon since it costs too much if there's only half a dozen subscribers to pay for the whole installation.

FredQc said: I'm pretty satisfied for the price I pay ($60/mo unl), that's pretty cheap for this in Canada.

It's a great price. I pay $61.55 for 3.5mbps up/down on rural wireless.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • KrisKris Member

Fiber is pretty damn nice. I've had to stop myself from building a rack on multiple occasions.

Thanked by 2FredQc elgs

@Kris said:
    I've had to stop myself from building a rack on multiple occasions.

Why? lol. That's the first thing I'd be doing.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @FredQc said:

doghouch said: I have fibre now with Bell and it’s been stellar! First time it was super oversold, but when I returned they put me on a new link back to the central office :)

Nice :) So, as I see, Bell does not offer symmetrical speeds for fiber? Or maybe price is higher ?

Not unless you are a business customer. I’m not sure completely if they’re using GPON because of the non-symmetrical speeds, but yeah... I’d rather have more than that in terms of upload :)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • ferriferri Member

amazing speed!

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • KrisKris Member

Harambe said: Why? lol. That's the first thing I'd be doing.

I tend to overdo things. I have around 8 HP and Dell USFF Core2Duos, a handful of desktops, but nothing rack ready. It would be a monstrosity real fast.

I have 2 lab boxes currently. One for Hyper-V and SQL 2016 Availability Groups, and the other as a Veeam box. Currently at an MSP if you couldn't tell from that.

In all honestly, at the end of the day I'm so exhausted I'm just happy to have some SyS and Kimsufi servers to allow me to hide somewhat in my apartment from server life.

Thanked by 2Harambe netomx

Kris said: In all honestly, at the end of the day I'm so exhausted I'm just happy to have some SyS and Kimsufi servers to allow me to hide somewhat in my apartment from server life.

Yeah. I've tried to justify a home server purchase before but when I look at the gear I've got racked in a DC or rented in one.. no need. Don't require enough power to save money on some crazy kit, easier to spin up an instance or rent a cheap dedi.

But with a gigabit connection it'd be really tempting to pick up a couple cheap boxes to run from home (have already looked at like some old HP/Dell refurb i5/7s and older workstation models)

Thanked by 1Kris
  • Ole_Juul said: I guess you're in a different kind of "rural" from me since you actually have a neighborhood. I'd call that urban.

I actually reside in a village of around 2000 residents.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • FredQc said: Wohoo! Yes, so I just got Telus fiber optic installed today at my place. I

congrats.. I envy you -- with the state of Australian broadband speeds, I won't be seeing such speeds for internet for at least the next 30-50 yrs :(

Thanked by 1FredQc