Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad moving customers from Iceland to the US - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad moving customers from Iceland to the US

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@INIZ they even offer Luxembourg with a free speech friendly provider (root.lu).

• They may have many other locations, but it's strange.
    I asked for cleansing of bad i.p in Iceland, they said they would, after a couple of weeks later, i.p was off the blacklist, and they said "I told you so". But next day, they sent the email saying "moving Iceland to L.A". I don't think they have a long term plan, it's like day by day, something else may come up again later.

• I really don't see what all the fuss is about, if you all take a bit of time to stop making drama and read the email it states quite clearly that they are retiring Iceland, it's not about the equipment, they obviously don't want to provide that location any more for whatever reason they have made.

Get over it and move if it suits you, or don't if it does not. If you paid yearly and have a fair bit left get a ticket in for a refund on the part that is left.

EDIS are a good option and this will give people a chance to bitch at them for the poor disk allocation.

@W1V_Lee the fuss is about people who wants the service they paid for, not a different (and cheaper) one.

• @Nyr that is all anyone wants but in the LET market that is rare. Again, they have decided stop offering that location, they are entitled to do that.

They have offered an alternative which they do not need to do, ok it's far from a decent option but it is an option none the less.

Although they have not mentioned it I would think anyone who has more than a month left at Iceland should get a refund if they are not moving. Seems fair.

Still nothing to see here, just drama queens making more out of it than there is.

• Did they send that out to all their customers? I received the message myself, and I have two boxes of theirs, but neither of them are in the locations they're ditching - so far. Will be royally pissed off if they do move either of them as their location is the main reason I went with them.

@mark said:
    Did they send that out to all their customers?

Yep, they did.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@mark said:
    Did they send that out to all their customers? I received the message myself, and I have two boxes of theirs, but neither of them are in the locations they're ditching - so far. Will be royally pissed off if they do move either of them as their location is the main reason I went with them.

Yeah, I got it too, even tho I dont have services in Iceland.

• So, i just asked for a refund of my service fee's from them, as i contacted them through ticket, and there is absolutely no mention of their other Europe Location.. so i dare say that will Disapear in the next week or two.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2013

Mine was bit different...

In an effort to upgrade our current infrastructure and provide you with updated equipment; we are planning some VPS data migrations beginning this week.

Your IP will be changed during this move and you will be sent an email in a ticket with your new IP.

The following SSD nodes SSD Cowboy, SSD1 & SSD2 will be moved to Houston SSD nodes (Will begin transfer 26th)

Easy LA node is going to a node within the new LA DDoS Protected facility. (Will begin transfer 30th)

The Nodes Golf and Hotel are going to our datacenter in Houston. (Will begin transfer on 25th)

Iceland is being retired and you will have a choice between Houston or our new LA’s DDoS protected facility. (Eligible for transfer to LA on 30th, Houston Available Immediately)

Your server specifications such as ram/disk/bandwidth will not be changed during this move. If you have any additional questions or concerns make sure to contact our help desk. If you are currently a customer of any other LA Locations of ours you may request to be relocated to the new LA nodes as well.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    Nyr that is all anyone wants but in the LET market that is rare. Again, they have decided stop offering that location, they are entitled to do that.

No they are not. Location was agreed upon. What they can do is to cancel the contract at it's normal end, not earlier. Simply changing the location is a classic breach of contract. But why am I telling this. This is a US provider after all.

• @ska said:
    No they are not. Location was agreed upon. What they can do is to cancel the contract at it's normal end, not earlier. Simply changing the location is a classic breach of contract. But why am I telling this. This is a US provider after all.

This is technically right. It is a breach of contract and everyone is entitled to a refund of some extent.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2013

@ska said:
    No they are not. Location was agreed upon. What they can do is to cancel the contract at it's normal end, not earlier.

What contract is this? And where can I read that it says they can or can't do it?

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    What contract is this? And where can I read that it says they can or can't do it?

The contract is concluded as soon as you sign-up with their cart and order the specific item. The contract usually includes minimal preconditions (essentialia negotii): contracting parties, price and the specification of the item. In this case the specification is done by the seller in the form of the statement of the features (visualisation type, amount of diskspace, ram, traffic, ip, location and what have you) that you agreed upon when ordering. Since most sellers here also have ToS that they want to include these also become a part of the contract. To sum up: the contract consists of: the contracting parties, the price, the specific item and the ToS. A breach (non-fulfillment) against any of this agreed upon content is a breach of contract.

Many people are confused by the word "contract" it's meaning and it's effect. A contract is in it's behaviour not bound to a minimum duration. What people mean when talking about a contract defined for a specific time or without any specific limit is called continuing obligation; yet, it is still a contract. Just like a contract that is fulfilled immediately (eg. buying a drink). What people mean when they say "no contract" does not mean no contract at all, it means a contract without a specific time-limit or time-frame. If they would really mean "no- contract" no obligation of the essential content would have been created (remember: no parties, price, item), which would mean they would have no legal ground for asking for the price.

The term contract is just the umbrella term for an voluntary act in the law in contrast to an administrative act.

@ska said:
    The term contract is just the umbrella term for an voluntary act in the law in contrast to an administrative act.

And I am sure they worded it like they can do anything they like and you have no right.
    In US, basically, the right a customer has is to avoid the company in the future.
    There are some provisions which are mandatory in some jurisdictions, however, litigation is expensive and impractical for most ppl. It's a corporation world. Even cults are acting like corporations.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2013

The thing I dislike the most with such migrations to completely different part of the world clients never wanted and paid for in first place is how blatantly host packet it without a word of regret into "upgrade for overall performance an speed improvements" explanation which is nothing else than treating clients like an idiots.

That's unfortunate event for clients so rather show some respect and regreat instead fooling them with sweet words about "upgrade".

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:
    And I am sure they worded it like they can do anything they like and you have no right.

Might just be me, but I don't see any such clause in their Terms of Service.

edited September 2013

@joepie91 said:
    Might just be me, but I don't see any such clause in their Terms of Service.

That is strange:
    URPad.net EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. URPad.net MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT ITS SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, OR THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED. URPad.net DOES NOT WARRANT, NOR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE, OR RESULTS OF, ANY OF THE SERVICES IT PROVIDES, IN TERMS OF THEIR CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE.

In other words, you have the right to pay us but there is no guarantee you will receive the service. This applies to most US companies.

EDIT: Nice to "see" you again !
    EDIT 2: "SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS"
    This applies to this case. Services are no longer available in Iceland but are available in US. So, AS IS and AS AVAILABLE at their best.

• @Maounique - Did you actually go and look at their terms! You crazy guy!

@ska - Armchair law is really not your thing and impresses nobody apart from the kids.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@W1V_Lee said:
    ska - Armchair law is really not your thing and impresses nobody apart from the kids.

Thanks for the laugh!

• EDIT 2: "SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS"

This applies to this case. Services are no longer available in Iceland but are available in US. So, AS IS and AS AVAILABLE at their best.

Their TOS also clearly states "We will provide the services according to the specifications listed for the hosting package you select during the signup process."...a VPS in Houston is not "according to the specifications" of the Iceland hosting package customers selected during the signup process.

Just because some inbred halfwit (an appropriate term when speaking of Urpad's former owner) puts something in a TOS doesn't mean it is necessarily enforceable or legal. If Urpad didn't provide the services customers paid them for (a VPS in Iceland for x months) and won't issue refunds for the remaining time then Urpad customers have the option of disputing the charge with their credit card company with the reason "item not as described".

@DomainBop said:
    Just because some inbred halfwit (an appropriate term when speaking of Urpad's former owner) puts something in a TOS doesn't mean it is necessarily enforceable or legal. If Urpad didn't provide the services customers paid them for (a VPS in Iceland for x months) and won't issue refunds for the remaining time then Urpad customers have the option of disputing the charge with their credit card company with the reason "item not as described".

And I agree with that, the thing I am disputing is that they will care. In theory, they have it covered and will probably try to fight it. If you are 45 days in your annual service is even worse. Even if they lose to 1-2 people that bother to make the claims, they don't care.

@W1V_Lee said:
    Maounique - Did you actually go and look at their terms! You crazy guy!

Of course, I have service with them, read it when i got the deal. I reached the conclusion that the deal is good enough to be worth such a risk.

• I especially like this part: "URPad.net MAKES NO WARRANTY [...] THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE"

In other words, they can stop bothering about security of any kind. It just can't be warrantied.

I always wondered why ToSes are that long. They can be written very concisely.

1. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING, WITHIN EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW.
    2. CUSTOMER (YOU) MUST PAY IN TIME AMOUNTS WE DEMAND AND MAKE NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER.
    3. YOUR RIGHTS, WISHES AND GOALS ARE IRRELEVANT.
    4. WE RESERVE RIGHT TO TERMINATE YOUR SERVICE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT ANY COMPENSATION GIVEN.

Can it be further shortened? Personally, I'd prefer Borg style:

1. Your data will be assimilated.
    2. Your wishes are irrelevant.
    3. Complaints are futile.
    Thanked by 1Makenai
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:

I'm not sure that this would apply, actually - and I'm especially not sure that it'd hold up in court, for example.

Also, not really planning on being very active here, trying to minimize my distractions :) Just figured that I'd post to this particular thread, since it's just completely ridiculous what URPad is doing.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2013

The hilarity is the fact that one day they are willing to pay money to find what is wrong with their service, then the next they are terminating services in a location that made them popular with little consideration for those customers. It makes them look ignorant and like they really could give a shit about their customers.

"Here customer, have money and tell us what we can do better because we have tons of money and we want to give you some to tell us how we can make things better." Then the next thing you know, "Ohh, we don't really care if you want that service you currently have where it is, we decided it is better for us that we move you to a whole other country than the one you signed-up in because it will help us save some money (because now that we are giving away a bunch of money to people, we can't afford to keep services where you ordered them)."

It just makes no logical sense to me. Why act like you care if your gonna stab your clients in the back? It reminds me of the arguments I used to have with my ex-girlfriend, pointless waste of time and effort because in the end she just does what she wants anyways, so why even have the "argument" to begin with?

Cheers!

• My ticket's been sitting there for days and no reply,,,

• Any word if URPad is also ceasing other locations like Luxembourg and UK?

@jake the latest packages they sold weren't profitable at all. Give them some time ;)

• vpnareavpnarea Member
    edited October 2013

Nothing new really, roughly 50% of all providers will eventually move your server to a different location. This is why when I spot a 15$ per year offer in Netherlands I'm not in a hurry to cancel my 5$ a month server because of it. I'd take them for a spin first (few months).

Also a lot of "smart ass" swindler providers would come out the USA closet with a lucrative EU location, get a lot of customers and get merged(bought out) for better value and your servers will be moved to USA...

PROPOSITION: What do you say LET makes a location-guarantee fund, whoever wants to post an offer with EU location should deposit 300-400$, refundable after 1 year?
    Or simply they (the provider) should agree to an optional refund for the remaining of user's subscription.

@W1V_Lee "armchair law" - LOL :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2013

hint

The coupon ICECOLDIS gives 20% off all VPS (except KVM/VRS Micro) in Iceland... and we will actually expand more there, stay tuned :)