Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

15€/year VPS for minecraft server
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

15€/year VPS for minecraft server

YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018 in Requests

Looking to run a small mc server for friends. Looking for the best I can get for 15€/year. I know tight budget but it's for few friends only and as long as it runs fair and I get some nice ressources it should be ok.

RAM: 1GB+

Comments

• I hope Minecraft runs on OpenVZ, because finding a KVM for this price will be difficult.

Thanked by 1hammer
    • mkshmksh Member

Unrealistic imo, sorry.

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
      edited March 2018

We can offer the following plan:

512Mb Memory

50GB HDD

2TB Bandwidth

2 CPU cores

2.66GHz+ CPU Speed

1 IPv4 Address

1 IPv6 Subnet (/112)

Auto Anti-DDoS Protection

Xen HVM Virtualization

£25/year

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
      Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
    • FalzoFalzo Member

arubacloud.com ;-)

most recommended Provider: First-Root KVM Power-Edition /w SSD
      UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month | Netcup VPS/rootDS - 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 (ref)

• limitedlimited Member
      edited March 2018

Looks like AlphaVPS 1GB 12€/year blackfriday deal is still somehow running. I doubt you'll find a better deal
      https://alphavps.bg/clients/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Thanked by 1Ympker
    • like @Falzo said Aruba Cloud, Hetzner Cloud, Scaleway.

• @mtsbatalha said:
      like @Falzo said Aruba Cloud, Hetzner Cloud, Scaleway.

Scaleway for 15€/y? Didn't know they were that cheap :P

• spectraipspectraip Member, Provider
      edited March 2018

My apologies, made a mistake with the price calculation.

• RamiRami Member

+1 for arubacloud.com

Thanked by 1Ympker
    • YmpkerYmpker Member
      edited March 2018

Guess it's gonna be aruba then :P
      Friend found some "lifetime" mcserver deal with German Zap Hosting @Falzo but dunno if it's worth it tbh (100€ one time). They have been in Business for a long time already and 23k fb fans so not gonna die soon. It's just that I could probably prepay a decent better performing vps for about 5 years with that budget (20€/y).

• NeoonNeoon Member

"Zap Hosting" "lifetime"

"(2) If a Buyserver is neither used, started nor selected in the webinterface by the customer for 6 months, Zap-Hosting holds the right to terminate the contract without notice and delete all product related data."

20 Slots 12,14EUR per month vs 20 Slots 100EUR one time

They are sane enough, to knew that at least 50% of the servers go out before the 6 month, so its PROFIT TIME BOOOYS.

Thanked by 2jetchirag Ympker
    • IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

@Ympker said: 23k fb fans so not gonna die soon.

Ah yes, FB fans. That's the perfect way to determine a company's lifespan ;)

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
    • @Ishaq said:

@Ympker said: 23k fb fans so not gonna die soon.

Ah yes, FB fans. That's the perfect way to determine a company's lifespan ;)

True that but ZAP has been around in the german market for a while (althoug never having the best rep).

@Neoon said:
      "Zap Hosting" "lifetime"

"(2) If a Buyserver is neither used, started nor selected in the webinterface by the customer for 6 months, Zap-Hosting holds the right to terminate the contract without notice and delete all product related data."

20 Slots 12,14EUR per month vs 20 Slots 100EUR one time

They are sane enough, to knew that at least 50% of the servers go out before the 6 month, so its PROFIT TIME BOOOYS.

Lol :P Nice one^^ I was like "well atleast if it's a server dedicated to hosting mc they won't suspend for unfair usage or whatever like they could with a lifetime vps" . But anyway I guess one can just leave the server running 24/7 where's the problem if it's a one time fee anyway? Then it is being used.

• pikepike Member
      edited March 2018

@Ympker said:
      Friend found some "lifetime" mcserver deal with German Zap Hosting @Falzo but dunno if it's worth it tbh (100€ one time).

Forget about zap hosting, I worked for/with them. Bunch of kids.

Thanked by 1Ympker

Recommended virtual servers: PHP-Friends vServer | Hetzner Cloud || -> LExit

• @pike said:

@Ympker said:
      Friend found some "lifetime" mcserver deal with German Zap Hosting @Falzo but dunno if it's worth it tbh (100€ one time).

Forget about zap hosting, I worked for/with them. Bunch of kids.

Trustpilot and fb comments don't look good either :P

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
      edited March 2018

15/year for 1GB? even for game servers, nooo. lots of game hosts don't oversell like some might think, even with swap, I avoid it to not worry about the memory crashes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
    • @MikeA said:
      15/year for 1GB? even for game servers, nooo. lots of game hosts don't oversell like some might think, even with swap, I avoid it to not worry about the memory crashes.

512mb RAM are more than enough for many gameservers tbh. I hosted our Counter Strike Global Offensive gameserver on 512mb for a while without issues. And Teeworlds Server on a 512mb as well :P For just friends 5-10 Players you can host many gameservers with 512mb, even more with 1GB Ram :)

• pikepike Member
      edited March 2018

Teeworlds and csgo can't be compared to minecraft. Java VMs need some memory.

Thanked by 2mksh Ympker

Recommended virtual servers: PHP-Friends vServer | Hetzner Cloud || -> LExit

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

512mb RAM are more than enough for many gameservers tbh. I hosted our Counter Strike Global Offensive gameserver on 512mb for a while without issues. And Teeworlds Server on a 512mb as well :P For just friends 5-10 Players you can host many gameservers with 512mb, even more with 1GB Ram :)

You said 1GB+ in your thread though :P

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Provider

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

Would be OpenVZ and Voxility instead of Combahton Interesting for you?

(1,5GB RAM)

Thanked by 1Ympker

DeinServerHost.de :: VPS, Dedicated Servers, Teamspeak and Gameservers hosted in Germany, Frankfurt - Includes DDoS Protection from Voxility or Combahton || Windows VPS LET Edition 3,95€ mothly click here || Hosting since 2013

• @Ympker said:
      Friend found some "lifetime" mcserver deal with German Zap Hosting @Falzo but dunno if it's worth it tbh (100€ one time). They have been in Business for a long time already and 23k fb fans so not gonna die soon. It's just that I could probably prepay a decent better performing vps for about 5 years with that budget (20€/y).

Word around town is electricity and bandwidth always cost money. Parts and stuff too.

Word around town is that lifetime business models have about a 100% of failing in the near future.

• mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

Minecraft is not your average gameserver. It's one of the most resource hungry pieces of shit you will ever witness. It's been designed by a guy with a extremly successful idea but little technical talent and even like 10 years and millions of dolars in profit later it hasn't recovered from that. Seriously a lot of it's faults are covered by basic game programming FAQs designed for complete newbies but they never got fixed.

Thanked by 1FHR
    • @Ympker

If you only need 512mb, @MikeA has something that is within (~€14.67/year) your budget.

https://extravm.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=55

Thanked by 36ixth MikeA Ympker
    • EdmondEdmond Member without signature

If you could make do with a NAT VPS, @cam can help you at $16USD/yr!

Otherwise if you could give up a few extra dimes over your budget, Virmach has a $19/yr plan with 1GB which has a location in Amsterdam. There's also stuff in the offers section if that doesn't fit you.

Thanked by 1Cam
    • CamCam Member, Provider
      edited March 2018

@Edmond said:

Otherwise if you could give up a few extra dimes over your budget, Virmach has a $19/yr plan with 1GB which has a location in Amsterdam. There's also stuff in the offers section if that doesn't fit you.

Due to CPU constraints I would only be able to do this in Bulgaria. (I normally don't allow game servers)

Edit: I can do Philly too.

• @mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

Minecraft is not your average gameserver. It's one of the most resource hungry pieces of shit you will ever witness. It's been designed by a guy with a extremly successful idea but little technical talent and even like 10 years and millions of dolars in profit later it hasn't recovered from that. Seriously a lot of it's faults are covered by basic game programming FAQs designed for complete newbies but they never got fixed.

It's bad, but not that bad. I've run MC servers off of 512MB of ram before (and I still am actually). People edit thousands of blocks at a time on my servers without any difficulties (well, to be fair, you do need to install a Bukkit plugin like FAWE to prevent WorldEdit from crashing on edits of that scale).

Bored developer: https://nulldev.xyz/

• EdmondEdmond Member without signature

@Cam said:

@Edmond said:

Due to CPU constraints I would only be able to do this in Bulgaria. (I normally don't allow game servers)

Edit: I can do Philly too.

Oh, wasn't aware that you don't allow cpu intensive applications on the server, just said to not always use the full core all the time. Hmm... can't think of anymore providers that I like, Cam's the one that came to mind first.

Thanked by 1Ympker
    • I ran a server on 512MB, ran great for about 5 players. Upgraded to 1024 with very little difference. Then got a SSD vps and it made a huge differebce... Maps load WAY faster. Get an SSD if u can...

Thanked by 1Ympker
    • @kendid said:
      I ran a server on 512MB, ran great for about 5 players. Upgraded to 1024 with very little difference. Then got a SSD vps and it made a huge differebce... Maps load WAY faster. Get an SSD if u can...

Well, what did you expect from a spinning disk (which can only read/write a few hundred operations/sec at best compared to a SSD that can push at least 100x more IOPS)?

NVMe drives can push even more, but pffft... having SATA SSDs are good enough on my VPSes :)

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

Minecraft is single-threaded, you need a single powerful core, else it will run pretty poorly. Don't even think about Scaleway, those Intel Atoms have terrible single-thread performance.

I would recommend a shared hosting instead, BisectHosting has a 512MB package for ~17.5€/year. They also had a 50% off recurring promotion, but it expired two weeks ago.

Thanked by 1Ympker

SkylonHost - affordable hourly-billed KVM VPS in Prague, CZ!
      Featuring own high performance network AS202297 | RIPE NCC member | Contact us for IPs/ASNs

• Jake4Jake4 Member
      edited March 2018

@FHR said:
      Minecraft is single-threaded, you need a single powerful core, else it will run pretty poorly. Don't even think about Scaleway, those Intel Atoms have terrible single-thread performance.

I would recommend a shared hosting instead, BisectHosting has a 512MB package for ~17.5€/year. They also had a 50% off recurring promotion, but it expired two weeks ago.

Or he could use a cheaper, aswell as better shared host and get 1GB ram for $14.40 a year @ https://aquatis.host/
      (There's supposed to be a 1$ per GB coupon but I think it just expired 2 days ago)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
      edited March 2018

- I still have a Time4VPS XS VPS renewing at 14€ish per year (might try that one first)

• Aruba with 1 GB RAM and 14K CPU Benchmark + SSD at 12€/year looks promising (even with ping of 71ms).

• Will consider @MikeA but don't think it's gonna be too much a difference compared to Time4VPS XS

@MikeA said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

You said 1GB+ in your thread though :P

I did :P But you said "even for game servers no" implying 512mb/1gb wouldn't be enough for gameservers in general^^ Not sure if understood correctly though so feel free to correct me hehe

@Crandolph said:

@Ympker said:

Word around town is electricity and bandwidth always cost money. Parts and stuff too.

Word around town is that lifetime business models have about a 100% of failing in the near future.

Lifetime plans are a gamble, sure. It's about evaluating how long the product/host will stay around until it the deal is shut down. While ZAP isn't known to be the best in the market they still have been around long enough to say, that judging by my experience following the German Gameserver market, they may just continue to be around long enough to make up for the deal.

@ChristianDSH said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

Would be OpenVZ and Voxility instead of Combahton Interesting for you?

(1,5GB RAM)

It might be :P Depending on how much overselling you guys do and if where the future of Ovz is gonna be at. Because if not new OS are gonna be made available I will at some point be stuck with EOL OSes^^

• YmpkerYmpker Member
      edited March 2018

@nulldev said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

It's bad, but not that bad. I've run MC servers off of 512MB of ram before (and I still am actually). People edit thousands of blocks at a time on my servers without any difficulties (well, to be fair, you do need to install a Bukkit plugin like FAWE to prevent WorldEdit from crashing on edits of that scale).

We are speaking about a minecraft server just for friends, bare vanilla mc with no plugins 3-6 players. Will 512mb in this case be sufficient?

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

@Ympker said:

@nulldev said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

We are speaking about a minecraft server just for friends, bare vanilla mc with no plugins 3-6 players. Will 512mb in this case be sufficient?

512MB should be okay. Depends heavily on the type of game - if the players are in the same or different chunks. View-distance in server.properties is also very important.

CPU and storage performance is far more important in this case.

Thanked by 1Ympker

SkylonHost - affordable hourly-billed KVM VPS in Prague, CZ!
      Featuring own high performance network AS202297 | RIPE NCC member | Contact us for IPs/ASNs

• @FHR said:

@Ympker said:

@nulldev said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

512MB should be okay. Depends heavily on the type of game - if the players are in the same or different chunks. View-distance in server.properties is also very important.

CPU and storage performance is far more important in this case.

Well it's Time4VPS XS vps so yeah that's what is to be expected :P Atleast it has the old 400 mbits dedicated port speed

• Interesting highlight regarding Aquatis.host:

They changed it now to fraudulent chargeback will result in termination & possible legal action.

• https://go.prager-it.com/cart.php

VM, 2 Core, 1536MB Ram, 30GB SSD, 600GB Traffic, 1 IPv4 Address, Germany, Nuremberg

12 €/semi-annually

VM, 1 Core, 768MB Ram, 15GB SSD, 300GB Traffic, 1 IPv4 Address, Germany, Nuremberg

12 €/year

Thanked by 1Falzo
    • LolololololLololololol Member
      edited March 2018

This spammy afflink site has a lot of cheapies hxxps://dah85.com/dirt-cheap-vps-list

• MasonRMasonR Member
      edited March 2018

@Ympker said:
      Interesting highlight regarding Aquatis.host:

They changed it now to fraudulent chargeback will result in termination & possible legal action.

Wtf. That's some strange shit. Fill it up with some furry porn before you chargeback ;)

Thanked by 4Ympker Falzo nulldev FHR

LowEndStorage | FreeMach - Free KVM Servers (LET Thread)
      Yet Another Bench Script (YABS) - Linux Server Benchmarking Script (dd/ioping, iperf, & Geekbench)

• @Ympker said:

@nulldev said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

From my experience, it should definitely be enough.

Thanked by 1Ympker

Bored developer: https://nulldev.xyz/

• Lololololol said: This spammy afflink site has a lot of cheapies https://dah85.com/dirt-cheap-vps-list

2nd link to that site from your account in a day. Not suspicious at all.

Thanked by 1MasonR

^-^!