Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

build-essential unmet dependencies error, bad OpenVZ Ubuntu 12.04 template?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

build-essential unmet dependencies error, bad OpenVZ Ubuntu 12.04 template?

WellGroundedWellGrounded Member
edited September 2013 in Help

I use Chef to provision all my servers which are on a lot of different OpenVZ server providers on this forum. There's a few providers however that my recipes fail on although the OS distro and version (Ubuntu 12.04) are all the same. It's been failing when attempting to install build-essential and the error that I've been getting is:

$ sudo apt-get -q -y install build-essential

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
build-essential : Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
libc-dev
Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed

I use a consistent /etc/apt/sources.list across all installs as well so I don't think that's the problem. I've tried everything. Could it be something wrong with the kernel or a bad OpenVZ template? Thanks for your time!

Comments

• BuyVM or other provider? It's probably the hack where the libc is replaced and frozen, because the original libc from Ununtu 12.04 is not compatible with the rhel5 based OpenVZ kernels.

• sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gcc
    sudo apt-get install g++
    sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
    sudo apt-get install build-essential

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@rds100 said:
    BuyVM or other provider? It's probably the hack where the libc is replaced and frozen, because the original libc from Ununtu 12.04 is not compatible with the rhel5 based OpenVZ kernels.

Sounds like it.

You can do...

echo libc6-dev install | dpkg --set-selections

echo libc6-bin install | dpkg --set-selections

Then you should be fine. When 12.04 originally released we were still using 2.6.18 due to stability issues in 2.6.32. Entering console was broken due to libc6 compat issues. I had compiled my own version and froze it.

It's on my TODO this week to replace that template.

Francisco

• @Francisco Just ran those commands, are they suppose to return something? Unfortunately didn't work for me, thanks for the suggestion though, could be that I'm not on BuyVM.

@awson Tried that already, throws the same error :(

The providers that I'm having this issue with are QuickWeb, Raidlogic, URPad, and a few others.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hi :)

If you have a fresh install do a reinstall. I fixed the templates just a little bit ago.

You can try also..

echo libc6 install | dpkg --set-selections

Francisco