Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great firewall of China and IP blocks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Great firewall of China and IP blocks

LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Probably something most of the ISPs here already experienced; the well known IP blocking at the GFW.

It seems that the Chinese government has recently launched their new policy and now doing even more traffic analyzing at their 'internet borders' to detected VPN/Proxy usage.
VPNs are blocked even quicker then they did in the last few years, at least that's our and our partners experiences.
We now have a couple IPs that have been blocked by the GFW because the user used a VPS for their personal VPN/SS.

Anyone here that already dealt with this before?
I'm wondering if the Chinese government does temporarily blocks for weeks/months, or keeps the IP blocked permanently until the ISP takes action.

Comments

• AFAIK it's temporarily. After couple days check connectivity again. It might come back.

• China's leaders have recently become "King". Tightening the cage is not surprising. Block and unblock seems like a ramdom action.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Reminds me of guys on PMS.

• I have built a lot of personal VPN including OpenVPN, OpenConnect, SoftEther, Tinc and IPSec (Both IKEv2 and Cisco IPSec).

And none of them were blocked.

I also tried strict TLS proxy and it works as well.

My advice is getting ride of SS for being a home-brewed protocol.

Strong industry protocols with good cryptographic settings are SAFE AND SOUND.

Thanked by 2Xei LiteServer
  • Speaking from personal experience, the IP blocks can be either temporary or long-term. The Great Firewall seems to have a "kill switch", which, when turned on, blocks a huge extended list of IP addresses; when it's off, most of the bans are lifted, and only IP addresses in the base blacklist remain blocked (e.g., Google).

There seems nothing you, as an ISP, can do on your side. As far as I can tell, removing VPN doesn't accelerate the removal from the extended blacklist.

Right now there are nation congress meetings going on, hence the security is certainly high. It's likely some of the blocks will be removed a fortnight later.

Thanked by 1LiteServer
  • hicohico Member

I have had OpenVPN blocked but Softether works everytime.
    Shadowsocks on my phone is also reliable.

Seems the VPN blocks are location specific and transitory. For example, I had open access in Xian but in Wenzhou I had IPs/VPNs blocked.

• deank said: Reminds me of guys on PMS.

Guys don't get PMS.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Ole_Juul said:

deank said: Reminds me of guys on PMS.

Guys don't get PMS.

You haven't been following the US news have you?

Francisco

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • Francisco said: You haven't been following the US news have you?

Yeah, a lot of gender stuff these days.

• @Ole_Juul said:

Francisco said: You haven't been following the US news have you?

Yeah, a lot of gender stuff these days.

I don’t think that you’re thinking about the right PMS. Lol

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@hico said:

Seems the VPN blocks are location specific and transitory. For example, I had open access in Xian but in Wenzhou I had IPs/VPNs blocked.

From what I read in the past, most provinces have their own GFW block list.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@Ole_Juul said:
    Guys don't get PMS.

Guys can absolutely get PMS. I've seen plenty of guys on PMS on LET.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul Clouvider