Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot overcommit RAM on virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cannot overcommit RAM on virtualizor

MrJMrJ Member

I have overcommited my ram by 512000 and currently have 96gb physical memory when i created 12 windows 2008 vms with 8gb ram each it uses the all physical memory and i cannot create anymore vms.
Does anyone know a solution for this

Comments

• provision each server with 7GB RAM.

Hope this helps,

tech support

• i need to create vms with 8 gb memory not 7gb

• MrJ said: windows

Found your problem.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2018

Virtualizor only allows this for OpenVZ - at least this is the case with us. On full virtualization, just add more RAM or create smaller VMs.

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited February 2018

@Aidan said:

MrJ said: windows

Found your problem.

Yes. as I have been working I have also found two alternate solutions.

• only create 11 8gb vm

• add more RAM

hope this helps,

tech support

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Use esx/vmware, virtualizor is the wrong product for your use.

• You need to add some virtual RAM to the server to do this.

Step 1: go to https://downloadmoreram.com/ .

Step 2: click download and select 32gb

Step 3: reboot server.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I thought you could overcommit ram with kvm? Or is the issue Windows?

• @randvegeta said:

the issue is virturalizor. and windows.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @randvegeta said:

You will need ballooning with driver. But yeah, esx/vmware is best for this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited February 2018

@VirtualByte said:

@randvegeta said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • edited February 2018

Not sure why you are getting so much sarcasm. There are legitimate reasons that don't involve overselling. I am pretty sure you can overcommit RAM on Solus KVM.

Windows runs like crap on it though. Doesn't seem to matter how much RAM you throw at it. Yes I use virtio. I'm sure SSD would help but probably still runs slow.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Windows is hungry for RAM, Even 500GB RAM is not enough.

If I am correct then Virtualizor only allow to over-commit disk space and not RAM (Not sure) and SolusVM allow you to over commit RAM and not disk. (sure)

• edited March 2018

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Windows is hungry for RAM, Even 500GB RAM is not enough.

If I am correct then Virtualizor only allow to over-commit disk space and not RAM (Not sure) and SolusVM allow you to over commit RAM and not disk. (sure)

I think the VM size is whatever the allocated disk size is on Solus, so no you can't overcommit storage because there is literally no more physical space than whatever the VM images are using.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    I think you can overcommit disk on Solus as well. You have to resize the VM image though and that requires a reboot and some command line stuff if I remember correctly. Also, you can only increase the size. You cannot reduce it.

Source: https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/Working+out+Settings+for+KVM+Hosts

the Disk Space cannot be oversold

• MrJMrJ Member

Well if i installed ballooning driver on windows would that gonna help me

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@virtualizor have you checked any solution for this yet ?

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited March 2018

@maldovia said:

@VirtualByte said:

@randvegeta said:

You are the kind of person that makes any new user on LET leave due to unnecessary trolling. I've had this issue before and is a confirmed bug with libvirt, something Virtualizor says they can't fix (I'm not sure if they investigated that much).

Is your OS CentOS 7 by any chance?

• @6ixth said:

@maldovia said:

@VirtualByte said:

@randvegeta said:

You are the kind of person that makes any new user on LET leave due to unnecessary trolling. I've had this issue before and is a confirmed bug with libvirt, something Virtualizor says they can't fix (I'm not sure if they investigated that much).

No, the issue is what he wants to do is not possible with Virturalizor. This was outlined in the first 5 comments. Alternate solutions were proposed

• less ram per VM
    • don't use virturalizor
    • create less VMs.

these are the only options. I don't see what the issue is

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Use Hyper-V with dynamic memory.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • MrJMrJ Member

my OS is centos 7 I noticed that after few hours ram usage is decreased to 20% when i have already created 12 Vms

• 6ixth6ixth Member

@MrJ said:
    my OS is centos 7 I noticed that after few hours ram usage is decreased to 20% when i have already created 12 Vms

Reinstall to CentOS 6 and see if it changes anything, Virtualizor is mainly built for 6 according to their staff.

• MrJMrJ Member

unfortunately wholesaleinternet does not offer cent os 6 :(

• Virtualizor does allow to overcommit RAM for KVM.
    At the time of creation of any VPS, Virtualizor will show you actual usage of RAM as seen on the host i.e. If all existing VMs consume 10GB of ram even though you have allotted 20GB, then virtualizor will show you available RAM on host node i.e. Total RAM - Used

Overselling RAM is a part of KVM. If the guest OS asks for RAM from the Host Node, the Host Node will give the RAM to the Guest VM.
    Normally a Guest VM will take some extra RAM than actual consumption to utilize it when required.

unfortunately wholesaleinternet does not offer cent os 6 :(

Virtualizor works pretty well with CentOS 7 and KVM. We have quite a lot of nodes running CentOS 7 on KVM.

Regards

Thanked by 2Aidan mikho