Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow kvm, root cause
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slow kvm, root cause

I have a kvm with a well known provider here and it’s just really sluggish 80% of the time I use it. I contacted support but they see no problems on their end and insist it must be user error. Could this be a case of the provider over provisioning?

Hardware wise it’s a 1 vcore with 2gb ram and I loaded Ubuntu on it. HDD is a raid6 config. I think they use solus for virtualization and all devices utilize virtio drivers.

When I run bench.sh my disk io is all over the place. Sometimes I hit upwards of 500MB/s and others it’s reportiing like 20MB/s.

When it’s really sluggish I’ll run stuff like htop and iotop but it shows nothing happening.

I got this kvm during one of the big promos and probably won’t bother getting anything else from them once it expires, but I was just curious what could cause it and if there’s anything else I can do or check to find out.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

1 vcore and raid 6 is slow as all hell so yeah..

Thanked by 1vish
  • https://www.storagecraft.com/blog/raid-performance/

If performance only recently started being inconsistent, then the array might be rebuilding after a disk failure - it can last for quite a while depending on their setup.

Thanked by 1vish
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited February 2018

Just name the provider and price point and we'll tell you whats going on.

• Wait, why are you using raid 6 inside a KVM?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

AlyssaD said: Wait, why are you using raid 6 inside a KVM?

I am pretty sure he means the host uses raid 6.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @AnthonySmith said:

AlyssaD said: Wait, why are you using raid 6 inside a KVM?

I am pretty sure he means the host uses raid 6.

Yah the host uses raid6.

@AnthonySmith thanks for confirming my suspicions. It never was very responsive to begin with.

For the price I wasn’t expecting real performance, but I also wasn’t expecting it to feel like I’m logged into a TRS-80

@Aiden thanks for the suggestion, doubt that is the cause as it’s been like that for 10+ months now

I’m not sure what @cociu does but I have a similar config from him that I paid less for and it is always snappy

• yup, just cancel it and move on, sounds like you have less than 2 months left on it.

• It could also be the CPU is saturated if they are doing Linux Raid 6. That or a noisy neighbor. Could also be a faulty disk, or other piece. You could ask that they move your VM to another server.

Thanked by 1vish