Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please suggest Linux Server Backup solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please suggest Linux Server Backup solution

Hi, i'm a freelance sysadmin and i maintain several linux server for my clients (vps, cloud, clusters, dedi, etc..).

i'm using Borg as my goto backup, and i'm super happy, but since servers to maintain are getting more and more, i'm looking for a as a service solution. I mean something like a dashbord, where i install an agent on each of my servers, and from dashboard i can setup scheduling and backup, with alerts etc..

i have tried:

www.backupsheep.com
-good price
-slow support (1/2 days to reply(
-still pretty awkward to setup a backup job
-it hang evey now and then

www.bacula4.com
nice saas solution, bacula agent is top notch, but social presence is obsolete, seems like they do not work too much...

www.backuprun.com
-excelent support
-they use r1soft so special kernels are not supported (per agent limitation..) and mysql restore is a PITA (as per agent design..)

can you people advise wich you use?

thank you

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2018

At this point, I've tried all of them, and keep going back to rsnapshot or rclone to an object store. They're all deficient one way or another, usually in terms of availability or being extremely slow.

Are you really making adjustment to your backup scheme on a frequent enough level that you really need a point-and-click interface, or is that just something that seems like a good idea?

• the main problem is alerting and monitoring.

imagine you have 20 server, with 20 rclone. for each one of them you need to configure smtp (+ i need a reliable smtp server..) to send mail comunication, + i need to manage most of the time retention..)

also it's a manual and tedious task.

plus, to monitor the status of all my backup,. i do not have any dashboard or any single entry point...

• For File backup Urbackup perhaps?

• tried also urBackup, i think it's 5 years old and not contemporary, thats why i use Borg Backup, but looking for other solution

• I understand what you mean about UrBackup looking old. However, it is actively maintained (albeit by what appears to be just a single developer), and it works well on the mixed Linux/Windows/Mac client systems I'm backing up with it. It's missing a few key features, such as encrypted backups and snapshot/bare metal restore for Linux.

I'm also using R1Soft for the most critical systems, but like you I have concerns about its ability to do restorations when I really need it. After many hours and much trouble, I've worked out a bare metal restoration recovery plan for my servers, but I've never played with database recovery. What MySQL recovery problems have you had?

• r1soft during mysql restore is not flexible at all. if backup was taken from 127.0.0.1:3306 it yells if i try to restore to a socket or viceversa. also, GUI is in my opinion cumbersome.

but..i'm willing to pay obvioussly, and i have difficulties to find a backup as a service solution,

i have found another one
    bitcalm.com

• EvixoEvixo Member
    edited February 2018

IASO? Can do file backup, MySQL and a lot more.

• @Evixo said:
    IASO? Can do file backup, MySQL and a lot more.

sound interesting, i know them from World Hosting Days in Germany, but if not see prices on website, i've learned the lesson that this will be a costly service :)

thank you

• Have you looked at BorgWeb?

Burp plus burp-ui works well for me and has a pretty web UI. I haven't played around with email alerts, though.

Setting up msmtp is way easier than you'd think, and you could pick up a cheap MXRoute plan if you like.

• @seanho said:
    Have you looked at BorgWeb?

Burp plus burp-ui works well for me and has a pretty web UI. I haven't played around with email alerts, though.

Setting up msmtp is way easier than you'd think, and you could pick up a cheap MXRoute plan if you like.

shure, borgweb is great, but again..i'm feeling like i'm reinventing the wheel:

in 2018, as a sysadmin, do i still need to:
    *build my backup script manually
    *maintain my smtp
    *create my own backup gui
    *maintain my own backup solution
    *what if client wants to check his backup?

i mean, on this earth, every single linux server out there need a backup: am i the only one who need a backup as a service?

thanks
    S

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

We use and provide R1soft backup which is a good client-server solution.

• @Ikoula said:
    Hello,

We use and provide R1soft backup which is a good client-server solution.

have you tried mysql restore? it does an insert for every query back on the restored database, rathen then restoring the var/lib/mysql or providing a mysqldump file.

for me, mostly of the customers are Magento ecommerce. so database it's very important and also with hundred thousands of rows...

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

elbandido said: have you tried mysql restore?

You're right, solution like r1soft are heavy backup solutions but the goal is to allow you to restore an entire server from scratch (or an entire databse).

If i was in charge of a server wicth host a database if would also (in addition) make mysqldumps which is more conveniant to use to restore a table for example.

• @Ikoula said:

elbandido said: have you tried mysql restore?

You're right, solution like r1soft are heavy backup solutions but the goal is to allow you to restore an entire server from scratch (or an entire databse).

If i was in charge of a server wicth host a database if would also (in addition) make mysqldumps which is more conveniant to use to restore a table for example.

mysqldump, Borg, rsnapshot, etc..are all great. but they all have the same problem: no common single dashboard, no alerting system, no mechanism to retry backup or to check backups..etc etc..

• I believe BackupPC has all of that, although it's been a while since I've used it. It is definitely designed for use cases with hundreds of hosts.

I currently use burp, with unified dashboard, retry / resume (via cron), verification, client-initiated restore, etc. It does do email alerts (triggered server-side), although I haven't used them yet: e.g., daily summary report, alert when no current backup for 7 days, etc.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @seanho said: I currently use burp

Do you use it for any Windows VMs at all? I have a couple of Windows KVMs that are not critical but more on the "useful" spectrum for some odd ball tests where a non-Unix OS is needed. Over time, there's some useful cruft built up on it that I'd rather not have to regenerate from scratch. Being mainly a *nix person, I have no reasonable clue on how to backup these VMs and restore (or reasonably get back files/profiles etc.) in case of er.. you know Windows being Windows.

Pointers would be appreciated for a really KISS solution.

• edited February 2018

I treat mysql backup as separate and use mysqldump. Very simple and just works.

• ricardo777ricardo777 Member
    edited February 2018

There also is elkarbackup

• @ricardo777 said:
    There also is elkarbackup

maybe a BackupPC fresher UI? ;-)

i think after all i will go with www.bacula4.com, a SaaS hassle free solution from cartika.com, with bacula.

they manage everything and i just buy agents, at a good price...

• elkarbackup is a modern frontend to rsnapshot. a must if you need filesystem pull-backups

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

I use BackupPC and I am very satisfied with it and it allows the end user to access to the UI too.

• @nullnothere said:

@seanho said: I currently use burp

Do you use it for any Windows VMs at all?

I do, actually that was the main reason I chose burp over BackupPC and borg. It creates a shadow copy and backs up from that, preserving Windows ACLs and the like. You can put the Windows clients in their own dedup pool, or combine with the Linux clients. I have not tried a bare metal restore on Windows yet, but others have done it.

If I didn't have Windows clients, I'd probably choose borg. BackupPC is a good choice, too; never lost data with it, over years and years of backups.

@elbandido, glad you settled on a solution. Not a bad decision to go with hosted Bacula, sometimes it's worth a little money to have someone else worry about the infrastructure.

Thanked by 1nullnothere
  • If you just want to backup files and directory structure - then look at Syncthing ... not a service as in "pay someone else to do this for me" but pretty good.

I backup several VPS's with it (files) to my home desktop, then from there incrementally back up to home NAS.

This might work with images also - if you could store the image on the server then use syncthing to sync the images remotely.

I wouldn't count Syncthing out of any backup conversation.