Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mounting ext3 image inside OpenVZ VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mounting ext3 image inside OpenVZ VPS

BoeriBoeri Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hi,

My previous VPS provider had serious problems and provided me with a disk image of my VPS.

root@matterhorn:/home/ftp# file matterhorn.img matterhorn.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data, UUID=7ebbdfe5-45d7-4d9f-bfd3-d31b8ad02c27 (needs journal recovery) (large files)
I've transfered the image to my new VPS provider. It would be great if I could mount this image inside the VE to recover some files. Is this something my provider can arrange or is this impossible with OpenVZ?

root@matterhorn:/home/ftp# losetup /dev/loop0 matterhorn.img /dev/loop0: Operation not permitted root@matterhorn:/home/ftp# sysctl -a | grep kthread error: permission denied on key 'vm.compact_memory' error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush' error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush' kernel.ve_allow_kthreads = 1 error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'

Comments

• There is a way to do it without involving your provider - create an UML vps inside your VPS, then mount the image inside the UML.

Or install vmware at home, create linux virtual machine, copy the image inside that virtual machine and mount it.

Thanked by 1Boeri
  • The image is 40GB and in Belgium traffic limits are horrible. Yes we have a limit :) But otherwise I can download the image at my work maybe.

I'll give your first suggestion a shot. Thanks rds100!