Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting 1TB storage and premium with 4TB wanT to start my own host at home
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting 1TB storage and premium with 4TB wanT to start my own host at home

rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
edited February 2018 in Help

So i have 20 thousand dollars to invest as i made another thread for VPS hosting but i also want suggestion in the shared hosting i will host it at my home

e.g of shared hosting package

Storage : 1TB

Bandwidth : 4TB with 1GBPS port but dedicated ip is not available.

RAM : 2GB

CORE : 1 dedicated i7 : 7700k core

DDoS protection upto 550gbps

Price : 10$ monthly

with every features but only SSH will not available because the hosting is shared.

e.g of premium hosting pkg.

Storage : 4 TB

Bandwidth : 50TB with 1gbps port and with a dedicated ip

RAM : 4GB

Core : 2 dedicated core of 7700k

DDOS protection upto 550gbps

Price : 25$ monthly

every single feature will be available.

So what you guys say about it? should i have to start my hosting with these kind of packages

Comments

• It’s a terrible idea mate. No-one wants to pay $10 to be hosted out of your basement or bedroom.

• Why do you have 1gbit portspeeds for shared hosting while planning 3/10mbit VPS? Also 550gbit protection on your home line??

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Last thread you said 40gbps, you upgraded your protection fast. I didn't even know ISPs in your region protected against attacks.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • @Nekki said:
    It’s a terrible idea mate. No-one wants to pay $10 to be hosted out of your basement or bedroom.

maybe they will because of given specs :) and i will move it to my own office in next 6-8 months so maybe i don't have to tell them that it is hosted at home right now lol!

• Nekki said: or bedroom.

i want to be in your bedroom !

• @rafaykhan said:

@Nekki said:
    It’s a terrible idea mate. No-one wants to pay $10 to be hosted out of your basement or bedroom.

maybe they will because of given specs :) and i will move it to my own office in next 6-8 months so maybe i don't have to tell them that it is hosted at home right now lol!

No-one wants to host with a dishonest provider.

The specs aren’t good enough for that price.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
    edited February 2018

@mksh said:
    Why do you have 1gbit portspeeds for shared hosting while planning 3/10mbit VPS? Also 550gbit protection on your home line??

1st) i am not gonna oversell my resources i want my clients happy with their vps

2nd) 1gbps port cost me 1500$ monthly ,1000TB bandwidth with 550gbps free DDoS protection and i will share it with 250 users / if all 250 users are active at the same time so the bandwidth will be divided like 4mbps each user i will include every single detail on the website so they will not missguided.

3rd) as you said why i am not using 1gbit port speed for VPS right?

the reason i am not using it with them is the ISP cost 20$ for an addiotional IP address which is going to be expensive and i want to make my host CHEAP + Quality
    so i have to buy 3mbps from another ISP provider and where i will not get any ddos protection but i will setup my own 40gbps DDoS protection which cost me only 3$ per month

@MikeA said:
    Last thread you said 40gbps, you upgraded your protection fast. I didn't even know ISPs in your region protected against attacks.

i will buy 1gbit from the Government ISP provider
    and 3mbit from local ISP provider

• DDOS protection upto 550gbps

I dispute this claim, starting off a company with lies is a great way to deadpool.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • @rafaykhan said:
    the reason i am not using it with them is the ISP cost 20$ for an addiotional IP address which is going to be expensive

NAT.

i will buy 1gbit from the Government ISP provider and 3mbit from local ISP provider

So you are going to get a single 3mbit line to connect your servers? Or you are going to get a dedicated line per server? Your whole setup is confusing as hell.

• rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
    edited February 2018

@mksh said:

@rafaykhan said:
    the reason i am not using it with them is the ISP cost 20$ for an addiotional IP address which is going to be expensive

NAT.

i will buy 1gbit from the Government ISP provider and 3mbit from local ISP provider

So you are going to get a single 3mbit line to connect your servers? Or you are going to get a dedicated line per server? Your whole setup is confusing as hell.

1 dedicated fiber optic line of 1gbit port for shared hosting and premium hosting

1 dedicated fiber optic line for whole server 3mbps // Each VPS user will get 3mbps dedicated Speed

@Aidan said:

DDOS protection upto 550gbps

I dispute this claim, starting off a company with lies is a great way to deadpool.

maybe you get it wrong i don't lie anywhere but yea as i said about home but it will move to my office in next 6-8 months.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2018

Use your money for this:

You will have the same financial result (eating the 20K very fast and bankrupt) but, at least, you will have a lot of fun and you will not cheat some poor hosting users.

• @jvnadr said:
    Use your money for this:

You will have the same financial result (eating the 20K very fast and bankrupt) but, at least, you will have a lot of fun and you will not cheat some poor hosting users.

Hahaha nice joke.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2018

rafaykhan said: Hahaha nice joke.

No offend, but I'm afraid that the joke here is your willing to build a shared hosting in your basement...

P.S. OK, I will stop feeding the trolls

• Will you offer a cheaper plan hosting in toilet?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2018

@rafaykhan

Sounds more like you are trying to find an excuse/way to pay for installing a gigabit link in your home more so than you really want to run a business. If you wanted to truly run a business, you would have already done more research and figured out what you have offered above will not attract buyers.

Hint: you are not the first one on this forum to have this idea, if you search around enough you will find some threads here which have about the same theme.

Bottom line, no, do not run a host from your home there are so many things your not considering -- redundant power, redundant connectivity, providing service over a link that actually has a enterprise SLA and not a consumer SLA. What happens when someone uses your single IP to cheat in a game and then you end up with someone sending you 800Gbit of traffic non-stop for 3 days until your ISP both discontinues your 'DDOS' protections and then threatens to cancel your services (or does) for basically taking out every other persons internet in that region as their network is flooded? What happens to your customers services while your only IP is completely flooded out? Do you have a secondary ISP and link ready to handle your customer were they to terminate you for such abuse?

These question are only the very beginning of what you should be asking your self. While 20k sounds like a lot of money, a few major issues and you can quickly deplete your funds. For example, what happens if your house catches fire because you miswire your power (most datacenters have licensed electrical staff who are insured, are you?) or end up with some type of short, does your home owners insurance cover this? Do you have business insurance to cover this? Where will you live, and what will happen to my services?

Does that 20K provide you enough to have equipment and spares, where each of your servers has standing by all the parts for it that could need replaced so that if something fails it can be fixed in a timely manor and your customers won't have to wait till 'sometime this week when the new XYZ card arrives from my distributor'?

Again, this is only the tip of that iceberg, there is soooo many things you need to consider before you go trying to run an ISP from your bedroom.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

I ran VPSBit's LT servers in a basement for over a year when we started out. But most of those servers were free nodes, and we still had UPS, cooling, KVM, APC, STS and multi gbit BGP connection.

It was really just an excuse to get the good stuff in my house. But now it's all in a propper facility since basements don't scale!

• maybe you get it wrong i don't lie anywhere but yea as i said about home but it will move to my office in next 6-8 months.

I didn't mention your location.

I said you're lying about having 550gbps of DDoS protection, which you deflected with an unrelated statement.

@Aidan said:

maybe you get it wrong i don't lie anywhere but yea as i said about home but it will move to my office in next 6-8 months.

I didn't mention your location.

I said you're lying about having 550gbps of DDoS protection, which you deflected with an unrelated statement.

My guess is he will use 3rd party protection and route clean traffic back to his home broadband

• LeviLevi Member
    edited February 2018

@randvegeta said:
    I ran VPSBit's LT servers in a basement for over a year when we started out. But most of those servers were free nodes, and we still had UPS, cooling, KVM, APC, STS and multi gbit BGP connection.

Wait... are you that dude who discussed balcony servers on WHT? Holy shit... are you from Kaunas?

Thanked by 1Plioser
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I wouldn't trust this dude holding my personal info first and foremost.

Thanked by 1Nekki

@LTniger said:

@randvegeta said:

Wait... are you that dude who discussed balcony servers on WHT? Holy shit... are you from Kaunas?

Balcony servers? No... I'm from HK, not LT, but I lived in Kaunas (sort of) for a few years.

Balcony servers sound familier though. But that wasn't me. My house was in old town. Now we have a DC in commercial building.

• @randvegeta said:

It was really just an excuse to get the good stuff in my house. But now it's all in a propper facility since basements don't scale!

LOL I thought you are HongKonger.

@elliotc said:

@randvegeta said:

LOL I thought you are HongKonger.

I am!

• @randvegeta said:

@LTniger said:

@randvegeta said:

Balcony servers? No... I'm from HK, not LT, but I lived in Kaunas (sort of) for a few years.

Balcony servers sound familier though. But that wasn't me. My house was in old town. Now we have a DC in commercial building.

Misunderstood as you have basement in Hong Kong, I hate the rich.

• And i would definitely rent some colo in that basement at honk kong. Holy moly

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2018

Hong Kong is either high-rises, or fisherman villages, and nobody's got any basements in either.

Come to think of it, that's why hosting is so expensive there. Not enough competition from basement DCs.

• @rm_ said:
    Hong Kong is either high-rises, or fisherman villages, and nobody's got any basements in either.

Not exactly, I have a "friend" have one.

@elliotc said:

Misunderstood as you have basement in Hong Kong, I hate the rich.

I hate him.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

If you have $20K to invest then rent some colo space in a datacenter. Hosting stuff out of your house is a TERRIBLE idea. What happens if your power goes out? What happens if your Internet is out for an extended period of time? I doubt you will be a priority for your ISP to fix. What about physical security of the servers (i.e. someone breaking in)? Your basement will never be a suitable environment for commercial hosting.

• Guys thank you so much for your feedback your help i really appreciate that now on no more further discussion on this topic Thank you so much <3

@freerangecloud said:
    If you have $20K to invest then rent some colo space in a datacenter. Hosting stuff out of your house is a TERRIBLE idea. What happens if your power goes out? What happens if your Internet is out for an extended period of time? I doubt you will be a priority for your ISP to fix. What about physical security of the servers (i.e. someone breaking in)? Your basement will never be a suitable environment for commercial hosting.

I dunno. Depends on pricing and scale.

When I had my basement full of servers, it doubled as my office which actually made things easier WHILE I was home working.

And I didn't cheap out on hardware or connectivity. Definitely spent more than 20k in hardware and a couple of fiber lines with BGP doesn't come cheap either.

The biggest problem running servers in a home is that you need to give access to your home to someone while you're not around. I spend a lot of time in HK as well so it was certainly an issue for me.

In late 2015 the LT company was officially formed, DC built and equipment moved. Ongoing it's actually much cheaper than doing things at home and of course made things 100x easier for staff.

It's possible to build a propper DC at home in a basement but by the time you've got it done to any reasonable size, it's not a DC in your home... It's your home in a DC. Which is not ideal.