Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

opening VPS and dedicated server host at home
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

opening VPS and dedicated server host at home

rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
edited February 2018 in Help

hello guys, This is my 1st time so forgive me for any mistake.
i am opening a small VPS and Dedicated Core server hosting.. The internet bandwidth is really expensive in Asia.

Server Location : Asia

bandwidth : unmetered 3mbps /2mbps /1mbps depend on the price as i said it is really expensive but i will upgrade to 200mbps in future will invest my profit to do it if i get some

Processor : Xeon

Storage Type : SSD ||Read : 550mb/s ||Write 450mb/s

can you guys suggest me the prices and range for the VPS and for Dedicated Core Server hosting

e.g For VPS or Dedicated Core

Cores :

RAM :

Internet speed :

SSD storage capacity :

Price in USD $ :

The servers will be protected from DDoS upto 40gbps

Comments

• Is it summer already?

Thanked by 1dedotatedwam
  • rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
    edited February 2018

@thharris said:
    Is it summer already?

i don't understand!

• rafaykhan said: i don't understand!

He is suggesting that you are a "summer host", which is a concept here on LET. It means that you project will likely not last long. From what you are posting, it sounds like it may be a reasonable assessment.

• @Ole_Juul said:

rafaykhan said: i don't understand!

He is suggesting that you are a "summer host", which is a concept here on LET. It means that you project will likely not last long. From what you are posting, it sounds like it may be a reasonable assessment.

Why my project will not last long can you explain little more?

• rafaykhan said: Why my project will not last long can you explain little more?

First, it's a guess, although based on seeing a lot of offerings here. Typically a "summer host" get's busy with other things when the summer is over. However, you may well be different in that respect. The problem is that your offering is not likely to be competitive. It may not be a good business model that you have there. In my case, I would never buy from someone who is new in the business. Why would I when there are great offerings from people with years of experience and a proven solid business plan - which means they will be around for a long time and the service will be solid now, and in the future.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2018

Because it required different knowledge to start a company, from public relation, marketing to technical sides. Moreover, I believe most countries don't allow hosting in your own house unless you buy their business plan.

I have some similar idea with yours before but give up because of the level of commitments that have to put in. If you have enough funding to host it and give out free beta test to improve and learn, I believe it is possible to success however don't expect to earn any money for the first 1-2 years.

• @FAT32 said:
    Because it required different knowledge to start a company, from public relation, marketing to technical sides. Moreover, I believe most countries don't allow hosting in your own house unless you buy their business plan.

I have some similar idea with yours before but give up because of the level of commitments that have to put in. If you have enough funding to host it and give out free beta test to improve and learn, I believe it is possible to success however don't expect to earn any money for the first 1-2 years.

so you mean i have to give Free Trials ?
    i have about 20 thousand dollars to invest right now is it enough or not ?

@Ole_Juul said:

rafaykhan said: Why my project will not last long can you explain little more?

First, it's a guess, although based on seeing a lot of offerings here. Typically a "summer host" get's busy with other things when the summer is over. However, you may well be different in that respect. The problem is that your offering is not likely to be competitive. It may not be a good business model that you have there. In my case, I would never buy from someone who is new in the business. Why would I when there are great offerings from people with years of experience and a proven solid business plan - which means they will be around for a long time and the service will be solid now, and in the future.

i know Ole_Juul why would you but i will guaranteed for your files backup and if something goes wrong i will first post the announcement to get your files from servers if i have to shut it down so peoples will not lose their data.

edited February 2018

as i see i can't find any cheap dedicated core server or vps in Asia and maybe i will be the first provider giving it in cheap prices.
    Ofcourse i will start a small business which will be increase time by time and i will do all of my best to do it I can provide 500GB HD in 5$ per month but in Asia the actual problem is only bandwidth so they will be limit upto 3mbps unmetered like that.

what about to open a shared web hosting and a premium 1 ?

e.g for a premium

1024GB storage

bandwidth : 3mbps unmetered

RAM : 4GB

core : 1 dedicated

Dedicated IP with every feature

in just : 10$ per month ?

e.g for shared hosting

unlimited storage

bandwidth : 10mbps unmetered (FAIR USAGE)

Ram : 1 gb

core : 1 virtual core

not dedicated ip and SSH access

in just 3$ per month ?

unlimited does not really mean unlimited but they can store upto 200GB storage

if this is a bad idea what about Online storage? Like Google Drive and Dropbox?

or what about Email hosting?

• rafaykhan said: i know Ole_Juul why would you but i will guaranteed for your files backup and if something goes wrong i will first post the announcement to get your files from servers if i have to shut it down so peoples will not lose their data.

Well that's nice and you may well succeed if you can hang in there for a couple of years. There may be a market for that location. But my point is that you are competing with cheap services elsewhere. And ones that don't go down or loose data. For example, several of my VPN are with Ramnode. And, except for a single quick emergency reboot on one of the servers, haven't gone down in 2 years. That's the kind of solid I expect. I'm really doubtful that can be done from a home location.

In any case I certainly wish you good luck and perhaps you'll be lucky and hit the right spot in the market eventually.

By the way, "Asia" is a pretty vague location. Can you tell us the country or city?

Thanked by 1mksh
    edited February 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

rafaykhan said: i know Ole_Juul why would you but i will guaranteed for your files backup and if something goes wrong i will first post the announcement to get your files from servers if i have to shut it down so peoples will not lose their data.

Well that's nice and you may well succeed if you can hang in there for a couple of years. There may be a market for that location. But my point is that you are competing with cheap services elsewhere. And ones that don't go down or loose data. For example, several of my VPN are with Ramnode. And, except for a single quick emergency reboot on one of the servers, haven't gone down in 2 years. That's the kind of solid I expect. I'm really doubtful that can be done from a home location.

In any case I certainly wish you good luck and perhaps you'll be lucky and hit the right spot in the market eventually.

By the way, "Asia" is a pretty vague location. Can you tell us the country or city?

City : Karachi

Btw Thanks ofcourse i will setup UPS and Generator Backup and Data but i don't know if my whole server fail like motherboard or because of RAM so it can go offline for a while if you know what i mean and i am not a single person doing it all alone i have my brothers they will work with me so we will provide 24/7 live chat support and as i said when i start earning some profit i will invest it on host so i will be able to provide 200mbps (FAIR USAGE) unmetered bandwidth which is amazing in whole Asia!

• I don't think to many people will be interested in 3/10mbit even if pakistan is a somewhat unique location.

Not sure what your actual limits on traffic are but you might be better off providing even a tiny fixed amount of traffic at a higher speed. Something like 128-256MB RAM, 3GB disk, 100+GB traffic, NAT might probably sell rather well at $5-6 per year. If you can profit on this is another question though.

To be perfectly honest i think investing your $20k into VPS hosting is a huge gamble and you should consider if this is a wise choice. The market is pretty saturated and your setup running from home is not going to instill a lot of confidence. If you really go through with this at least make sure to go out of your way to make registration/payment as comfortable as possible since many people are probably going to have a very low overall trust in you until you build up some reputation.

Thanked by 1Senior
  • There are better things to invest $20K in. Please don't do this.

edited February 2018

@mksh said:
    I don't think to many people will be interested in 3/10mbit even if pakistan is a somewhat unique location.

Not sure what your actual limits on traffic are but you might be better off providing even a tiny fixed amount of traffic at a higher speed. Something like 128-256MB RAM, 3GB disk, 100+GB traffic, NAT might probably sell rather well at $5-6 per year. If you can profit on this is another question though.

To be perfectly honest i think investing your $20k into VPS hosting is a huge gamble and you should consider if this is a wise choice. The market is pretty saturated and your setup running from home is not going to instill a lot of confidence. If you really go through with this at least make sure to go out of your way to make registration/payment as comfortable as possible since many people are probably going to have a very low overall trust in you until you build up some reputation.

yea i know it will take some time to gain some reputation
    yes i can sell NAT VPS at 250mbps (FAIR USAGE) e.g of nat vps pkg

Core : 1 core

RAM : 512mb

Storage : 40 gb (HDD) or 10GB SSD

ports : 20 available

bandwidth : unmetered (FAIR USAGE)

Price : 12$ /year

• @ElliotJ said:
    There are better things to invest $20K in. Please don't do this.

what you suggest to do with that money?

• @rafaykhan said:

Specs are a bit on the high side for me (i'd rather have half at half price with fixed traffic) but it's not to bad considering the location i guess. Btw: Would you consider pushing 300gb on this fair usage?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Where do you get the idea that no cheap services exist in Asia? There are plenty!

And where do you get the idea that large Bandwidth options in Asia at affordable prices don't exist? Because they do!

Even the crazy cheap $5-$10/yr NAT VPS exists. But I can tell you from 1st hand experience that such a service is not profitable.

• @randvegeta said:
    Even the crazy cheap $5-$10/yr NAT VPS exists. But I can tell you from 1st hand experience that such a service is not profitable.

Pssshhht ;)

edited February 2018

@mksh said:

@rafaykhan said:

Specs are a bit on the high side for me (i'd rather have half at half price with fixed traffic) but it's not to bad considering the location i guess. Btw: Would you consider pushing 300gb on this fair usage?

yea server location is : ASIA

bandwidth : 1TB

as you said to make it half so this is the new pkg

Core : 0.5

RAM : 256mb

storage : 20GB (HDD) or 5GB (SSD)

bandwidth : 500 GB

price : 6$/year

is that good ?

edited February 2018

@randvegeta said:
    Where do you get the idea that no cheap services exist in Asia? There are plenty!

And where do you get the idea that large Bandwidth options in Asia at affordable prices don't exist? Because they do!

1) ofcourse but try those services and you will understand why they are cheap!

2) i am talking about cheap and quality VPS i am not going to oversell my resources.

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

1) ofcourse but try their services and you will understand why are they cheap!

2) i am talking about cheap and quality VPS i am not going to oversell my resources.

No offense but you're just wrong here. See my provider tag? See my location (HK)? Have you heard of Vultr or DO which both have cheap services in SG?

You're also talking about running your biz from home with small bandwidth. How exactly is that quality? What about other things like UPS, cooling, Network redundancy? You can't do a proper job cheaply.

Thanked by 1postcd

@rafaykhan said:

@mksh said:

@rafaykhan said:

is that good ?

Is it NAT?

• @randvegeta said:

@rafaykhan said:

@mksh said:

@rafaykhan said:

is that good ?

Is it NAT?

YES

• @randvegeta said:

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

No offense but you're just wrong here. See my provider tag? See my location (HK)? Have you heard of Vultr or DO which both have cheap services in SG?

You're also talking about running your biz from home with small bandwidth. How exactly is that quality? What about other things like UPS, cooling, Network redundancy? You can't do a proper job cheaply.

i think you don't read comments as i mention UPS , Generator And Data backup is available!

edited February 2018

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

i think you don't read comments as i mention UPS , Generator And Data backup is available!

I didn't say you don't or won't have it. I'm saying you can't do a propper job cheaply.

Homes are not cut out for large scale hosting so it is unlikely you can do a proper job cheaply. It will either not be a proper job or will cost more than doing it in a dedicated space.

Running things at home is only cheaper because you don't have to pay for space. Which means it doesn't scale. For proper infra, you need space.

• @randvegeta said:

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

@rafaykhan said:

@randvegeta said:

I didn't say you don't or won't have it. I'm saying you can't do a propper job cheaply.

Homes are not cut out for large scale hosting so it is unlikely you can do a proper job cheaply. It will either not be a proper job or will cost more than doing it in a dedicated space.

Running things at home is only cheaper because you don't have to pay for space. Which means it doesn't scale. For proper infra, you need space.

it's actually my basement and i have really large space for it

• Just fuck off.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • You're joking right ? Renting VPS and Dedicated Server at home ? You must be kidding. Please Tell me you're joking.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2018

rafaykhan said: Country : Pakistan

City : Karachi

Btw Thanks ofcourse i will setup UPS and Generator Backup and Data but i don't know if my whole server fail like motherboard or because of RAM so it can go offline for a while if you know what i mean and i am not a single person doing it all alone i have my brothers they will work with me so we will provide 24/7 live chat support and as i said when i start earning some profit i will invest it on host so i will be able to provide 200mbps (FAIR USAGE) unmetered bandwidth which is amazing in whole Asia!

Ohh my, and I was thinking this was a bad idea before I read this!

I know I already responded to your other thread, but I know a few people in Pakistan and have gotten to understand what the connectivity there is like from a few of them and I can tell you this is even worse of an idea than you think! All of Pakistan's bandwidth is basically handled over 2 different sea cables, one to Italy and another to Singapore. It is not uncommon for one or the other to fail or become over-utilized and pings to sky rocket to the 200-300ms range to most locations outside of direct peering points. This is ESPECIALLY true if the connection is a consumer grade connection -- the ISPs there will NOT put up with DDOS and probably will null route you at the hint of abuse to save their network. If you are going to do this, you should really be looking to co-locate equipment directly with the government ISP and get a contract with them that explains exactly what you can expect. Hosting this in your house, you may very quickly find your services terminated because they don't want to handle the amount of abuse/traffic you are using compared to a standard consumer and/or the complaints from your neighbors when their connectivity goes to crap because of your excessive use.

If your target was only local consumers in Pakistan, then sure you may be able to do this, but trying to run a global provider and providing outside connectivity from Pakistan where all the traffic has to go over sea cables, is a horrible idea. Why do you think most large Pakistan sites are generally hosted in Italy instead of in country? Its because the direct connectivity in Pakistan is poor for handling high throughput load with low latency -- Thus since Italy is a main peering point of all traffic in Pakistan as well as a major European networks, most large companies will place their sites/infrastructure there instead.

I hate to be that guy who craps all over your dreams, but I think you have a lot more research and thinking to do on this before you start to spend your money!

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@rafaykhan said:

is that good ?

Yeah, thats something i might take a risk on to have an exotic and intensivly idle location that has a huge chance of disappearing overnight.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2018

Do it just so that we can tell you "Told you so" later.

This is so going to fail.

This discussion has been closed.