Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of super simple blog.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

In need of super simple blog.

I am not a web developer and have no creative touch. Does anyone have any extremely simple blog websites you would like to share? Node.js/python/ruby are fine. I prefer to stay away from wordpress, joomla etc. :)

Comments

• thekreekthekreek Member
    edited September 2013

When you use the term "simple" it's about .... (please select one):

• a blog easy to setup and configure?

• a blog easy to post and manage?

• a blog easy to change its visual appearance?

• a blog that uses minimal software?

From the different blog apps, that I have use I can tell you this:

• a blog easy to setup and configure?
      blite for something selfhosted, if you want something easier, Tumblr or Blogger with a cname.

• a blog easy to post and manage?
      Wordpress , blite , habari

• a blog easy to change its visual appearance?
      Wordpress wins it has a lot of themes and some can be tweaked from the dashboard.

• a blog that uses minimal software?
      blite would be a good example and it has been developed by a member from this community. In second place I would say habari

• all of the above.

• Why do you prefer to stay away from wordpress or Joomla, if you want easy and simple? Have you tried Drupal btw?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

So @thekreek listed blite in most of the categories, I think it wins. :)

Wordpress is a huge terrible mess by now, it's anything but "super simple". And Joomla or Drupal? Whole full-blown CMSes to someone looking for just a blog, that's like driving one of these to supermarket to get groceries...

• What's the purpose of the blog, do you just want to share some things, or is your intention to make it popular, profit from advertisements, etc. ?

• @rds100 Its just to share some things with a very small group of people. no ads ever.

• @Sweet then why not use something free and managed, like wordpress.com ?

• @rds100 said:
    Sweet then why not use something free and managed, like wordpress.com ?

rm_ answered that perfectly.

@rm_ said:
    Wordpress is a huge terrible mess by now, it's anything but "super simple". And Joomla or Drupal? Whole full-blown CMSes to someone looking for just a blog, that's like driving one of these to supermarket to get groceries...

• @Sweet he meant the wordpress software which you install, update, manage, etc. all by yourself. On wordpress.com you just get http://yourname.wordpress.com free blog and don't worry about software or anything else.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

free and managed, like wordpress.com

@rds100, other reasons aside, can you personally guarantee

no ads ever.

with that option?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2013

@rm_ of course noone can guarantee that, but so far it seems like a not bad option.

Otherwise the simpliest blog i can imagine would be a simple text file with < PRE > at the beginning :) Edit in notepad, upload, done :)

• lol... maybe i should have specified. Minimal yes but still functional. I do not need a full CMS. Even just uploading markup files would be doable. I am just looking for a no fuss solution that i can host on one of my LEB's

• mujmuj Member
    edited September 2013

I know you said no WordPress but you can try Gatsby
    - More info

• Go with blite.

• Getsimple cms ftw

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013

Node.js/python/ruby are fine. I prefer to stay away from wordpress, joomla etc. :)

Being a hipster is unhealthy

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I checked out Blite. Is it still in development? The last post I see is from October last year?

• How about Ghost

@jimaek Not publicly available yet.

• @Sweet said:
    I am not a web developer and have no creative touch. Does anyone have any extremely simple blog websites you would like to share? Node.js/python/ruby are fine. I prefer to stay away from wordpress, joomla etc. :)

Do you mean blogging tool, blogging platform?

Talking of tools, 'static generators' like IkiWiki (Perl-driven) or DocPad (Node.js) could be a good choice.

• I know you prefer to stay away from Joomla. However, I found Joomla with K2 installed to be very easy to use. I am using it for two of my blogs, that I don't pay nearly enough attention to. They are using the same layout but here's the Blog feed for them.

http://kiltedbeard.com/index.php/thearticles | http://badsin.net/index.php/blog

If you care to read about K2 - http://getk2.org

I found installation to be easy and I usually have no idea what I'm doing. I know a full blown CMS for a basic blog is not needed, but I went that route just in case I decided to do more with it.

• blite.ca

• just installed nibble.... pretty good.

@Sweet So did I. Really like how simple it is.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Sweet So did I. Really like how simple it is.

Time to edit some html and hopefully not break anything.

@Sweet if you break something let me know and I can probably help out. :)

• @rm_ said:
    So thekreek listed blite in most of the categories, I think it wins. :)

But you gotta admit it would be AWESOME to drive that around!

• Although Ghost (as suggested above) isn't yet generally available, it has been released to its kickstarter backers and should be available to all in the next week or two, if you can wait. It looks really good.