Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rainloop webmail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rainloop webmail

Rainloop webmail (https://www.rainloop.net/) was a buzz here for awhile. Haven't seen it mentioned in the mail setup discussions lately, yet it seems to be still active & maintained.

Any issues with it?

Comments

• @sleddog said:
    Rainloop webmail (https://www.rainloop.net/) was a buzz here for awhile. Haven't seen it mentioned in the mail setup discussions lately, yet it seems to be still active & maintained.

Any issues with it?

Nothing in particular. I mean, it's simply an email client, among a number of other email clients.

• I'm pretty sure gandi and migadu both use it.

• @willie said:
    I'm pretty sure gandi and migadu both use it.

Are you sure about that? I think that Rainloop (since it's an email client) is run locally.

• @angstrom said:

@willie said:

Are you sure about that? I think that Rainloop (since it's an email client) is run locally.

I use rainloop for my email and it's web based written in php. Not saying you can't run a local webserver for it.

• @CFarence said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

I use rainloop for my email and it's web based written in php. Not saying you can't run a local webserver for it.

So what are you saying?

Are you running Rainloop locally?

• @angstrom said:

@CFarence said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

So what are you saying?

No I'm not running it locally. You said since it's an email client it runs locally. I'm just saying it's a web based application. So most people would throw it on a vps or shared hosting of some sort... though technically speaking you could run a web server locally if you wanted to.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2018

@CFarence said:

@angstrom said:

@CFarence said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

So what are you saying?

No I'm not running it locally. You said since it's an email client it runs locally. I'm just saying it's a web based application. So most people would throw it on a vps or shared hosting of some sort... though technically speaking you could run a web server locally if you wanted to.

An email client can be written in PHP and run in a browser. When I say "run locally", I mean that Rainloop is installed on the machine that you use it on (which could be a VPS), just like an email client such as Thunderbird. Do you agree?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Think it's built into Softaculous, so if you have some cheap cPanel hosting you can easily put up a test install and play with it. I generally just use whatever I'm provided by email hosts, usually end up going with Horde.

• angstrom said:

It's possible I'm confused, but I thought the webmail client that they use was rainloop. Migadu has free accounts if you want to try it.

• @willie said:

angstrom said:

It's possible I'm confused, but I thought the webmail client that they use was rainloop. Migadu has free accounts if you want to try it.

Oh, I don't need to know that badly. :-)

However, if it were Rainloop, you'd think that they would say it somewhere openly, but they don't seem to (unless I've missed it).

• Have been using Roundcube for years without any issue. Will try this if I want something new :)

• @dedipromo said:
    Have been using Roundcube for years without any issue. Will try this if I want something new :)

Roundcube and Rainloop (despite their both beginning with the letter "R") aren't really in the same comparison class. Rainloop distinguishes between a community and a standard edition -- only the community edition is free software. In contrast, Roundcube is free software, widely deployed, and much more robust in the case of multiple users.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • angstrom said: Roundcube is ... much more robust in the case of multiple users.

How so?

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2018

works good, i have 15 email address added to my installation and you can switch very fast between them

• @angstrom said:

Maybe you're mixing Rainloop and Mailpile (https://www.mailpile.is/).

Rainloop is a web based mail client. Mailpile is a "browser" based mail client that runs locally.

• used rainloop before. works great. mobile friendly by default. have optional plugin. and light (no database required if you don't need 'contact' book).

• +1 It's my webmail solution of choice.

• I wont use them for now, their project look died, no one answering on github nor update on the code not to mention mailspoit

• sibaper said: their project look died

Creator did 10 commits on their GitHub 2 days ago