Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FTP issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FTP issues

ScrewdriverScrewdriver Member
edited February 2018 in Help

Been connecting to my server for awhile through FTP TLS/SSL. Today I happened to have my VPN on and was getting this with WinSCP:

Could not retrieve directory listing.
Security: Bad IP connecting.

But, no issues when not using my VPN.

Read about "passive" etc, but nothing would work. Then I remembered that I set key logging on SSH per you guys hammering another poster. So I changed to SFTP and used my key and all works.

Question I have is why would VSFTPD allow a FTP TLS/SSL connection with my VPN off, yet deny it with it on?

Thanks!

Comments

• Don't use FTP, use SFTP.

Thanked by 2mksh dedotatedwam
  • @Screwdriver said:
    Question I have is why would VSFTPD allow a FTP TLS/SSL connection with my VPN off, yet deny it with it on?

Good question.

They way i read that messages it seems an unexpected IP is connecting the data port used to deliver the directory listing. Is there any possibility either the data or the control connection is not routed over your VPN?

Anyways, i agree with @sundaymouse. FTP is pretty much obsolete.

• ScrewdriverScrewdriver Member
    edited February 2018

@sundaymouse said:
    Don't use FTP, use SFTP.

I plan to now....I just need to know why it's doing what it is.

• @mksh said:

@Screwdriver said:

Good question.

They way i read that messages it seems an unexpected IP is connecting the data port used to deliver the directory listing. Is there any possibility either the data or the control connection is not routed over your VPN?

Anyways, i agree with @sundaymouse. FTP is pretty much obsolete.

I sent this question to my VPN provider, hopefully they have an answer.

Thanks.