Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TinyProxy on NAT VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TinyProxy on NAT VPS

I'm wanting to run TinyProxy (HTTP proxy server daemon) on a VPS. It's for light web browsing and social media use so a low spec VPS would be fine. I'm thinking Debian/Ubuntu on 128-256MB instance.

The cheapest VPS's I can find are NAT VPS's which I really don't know anything about apart from the fact that they use a shared IPv4 instead of dedicated.

Would a NAT VPS be suitable for this purpose?

I note one of the providers in the offers section is charging extra for TUN/TAP to be enabled. Is this relevant to running a proxy script or more to do with a VPN setup? If it is relevant, is this standard practice and should I check with providers that TUN/TAP is enabled?

Thanks.

Comments

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

NAT is perfectly fine for this purpose. Also TUN/TAP availability does not affect proxies and i don't know any NAT provider charging extra for those anyways (actually i only know a single provider which does at all).

A basic proxy server is going to be a bit messy security wise though. I'd recommend using SSH SOCKS5 functionality instead (first howto that popped up: https://linux-tips.com/t/how-to-create-a-socks-proxy-tunnel-with-ssh/365) or just actually setup a VPN.

Edit: The shared IP of NAT VPSs is generally nice for proxy/VPN purposes as it's not directly tied to you but the downside is that others might have given it a bad reputation here or there.

Thanked by 1cooper
  • omelasomelas Member
    edited February 2018

actually, you can install nothing and just ssh into it and use its tunneling for socks5 proxy

ssh -D 8080 username@sshd_server

and set your proxy setting to localhost:8080

Thanked by 1cooper
  • @mksh said:
    NAT is perfectly fine for this purpose. Also TUN/TAP availability does not affect proxies and i don't know any NAT provider charging extra for those anyways (actually i only know a single provider which does at all).

A basic proxy server is going to be a bit messy security wise though. I'd recommend using SSH SOCKS5 functionality instead (first howto that popped up: https://linux-tips.com/t/how-to-create-a-socks-proxy-tunnel-with-ssh/365) or just actually setup a VPN.

Edit: The shared IP of NAT VPSs is generally nice for proxy/VPN purposes as it's not directly tied to you but the downside is that others might have given it a bad reputation here or there.

Thanks, it wasn't actually a NAT provider that had the TUN/TAP clause. It was was this thread in the offers section. £3.60 per year for a dedicated IP seems good and avoids any potential bad neighbourhood problems. Although I don't know if it's recurring and know nothing about the provider.

This kind of has to be idiot proof as I'll probably be setting up some friends and family with proxy access if I get a setup I'm happy with. I'm really wanting to just plug some proxy settings into Firefox and that's it. I'm probably showing my complete lack of knowledge here but it's got to be simple enough for an 80 year old to use :-)

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@cooper said:
    Thanks, it wasn't actually a NAT provider that had the TUN/TAP clause. It was was this thread in the offers section. £3.60 per year for a dedicated IP seems good and avoids any potential bad neighbourhood problems. Although I don't know if it's recurring and know nothing about the provider.

Yep, those are the only guys i've ever heard of doing this and you are right their base price is very tempting. Anything with a dedicated IP <$15/y is basically a steal. I've no experience with them either besides making fun of their name but at that price i'd wonder if there are any other suprises besides the TUN/TAP fee.

If you decide to go after a dedicated IP maybe look at:

This kind of has to be idiot proof as I'll probably be setting up some friends and family with proxy access if I get a setup I'm happy with. I'm really wanting to just plug some proxy settings into Firefox and that's it. I'm probably showing my complete lack of knowledge here but it's got to be simple enough for an 80 year old to use :-)

Well, there is not really anything wrong with a regular proxy server and i see how simple configuration is important when dealing with non technical people. The drawback is just that the communication between the client and the proxy (including the likely to be used password authentication) is unencrypted (https connections going being proxied are obviously still encrypted - just the communication with the proxy and any plain http traffic isn't). It's up to you to decide to what extend that bothers you.

Thanked by 2RIYAD LiteServer
  • @mksh said:

@cooper said:

Yep, those are the only guys i've ever heard of doing this and you are right their base price is very tempting. Anything with a dedicated IP <$15/y is basically a steal. I've no experience with them either besides making fun of their name but at that price i'd wonder if there are any other suprises besides the TUN/TAP fee.

If you decide to go after a dedicated IP maybe look at:

Well, there is not really anything wrong with a regular proxy server and i see how simple configuration is important when dealing with non technical people. The drawback is just that the communication between the client and the proxy (including the likely to be used password authentication) is unencrypted (https connections going being proxied are obviously still encrypted - just the communication with the proxy and any plain http traffic isn't). It's up to you to decide to what extend that bothers you.

Virmach is $10 annually and there's a couple of other offers [from Blackfox] (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137869/blackfox-co-vsp-plans-openvz-usa-based-starting-at-1-per-month) and [MrVM.net] (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/138517/mrvm-net-limited-bundle-deal-6-locations) that look decent.

I actually ran benchmarks for Centmin Mod on VMHaus a few weeks ago and the results were fantastic. When I have time I'm going to move a production site over to them and see how it goes. The benchmark results between Linode and VMHaus were surprising e.g VMHaus were miles better.

I'll have a look at those other two providers you mention.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@cooper said:
    Virmach is $10 annually

Virmach should be fine also. Just be aware that when you check the no support box they really mean it.

Haven't really heard anything about them but in their offer thread someone hints at them using VolumeDrive/Quadix which don't have exactly stellar reputations.

Those are NAT VPS but you'd get a whole bunch of them and @mikho is a pretty cool guy also.

I actually ran benchmarks for Centmin Mod on VMHaus a few weeks ago and the results were fantastic. When I have time I'm going to move a production site over to them and see how it goes. The benchmark results between Linode and VMHaus were surprising e.g VMHaus were miles better.

Yeah, VMHaus seems to be taking their business very seriously. IIRC they were actually voted best new provider just a couple months.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Anytime. Gotta keep those fingers busy while sipping my coffee :P

Thanked by 1mikho
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mksh said:

Those are NAT VPS but you'd get a whole bunch of them and @mikho is a pretty cool guy also.

Yes, I am. :)