Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap dedicated server for plex
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap dedicated server for plex

QuickyQuicky Member
edited February 2018 in Requests

I'm looking for something that would handle 2 1080 streams. Storage not big using rclone and gdrive.

Edit: EU location. France or NL. 100mbit is enough i guess. Or 1gbit with limit also

Comments

• Kimsufi

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Quicky said: something that would handle 2 1080 streams

You'll need a CPU with at least a 4k passmark score then.

WorldStream's i5-2500K is an option @ 20EUR/mo - link

Kimsufi or online.net I'm sure have other options.

• edited February 2018

Quicky said: 2 1080 streams

Are you look for 2 transcoded 1080 streams, or 2 direct play 1080 streams? You can run plex on a Raspberry Pi and direct play 2 1080 streams, for transcoded streams (as @MasonR stated) you'll need something > 4k.

• 2 simunatanious transcoded streams. How does Atom C2750 sounds? passmark is 3800 i think.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Quicky said:
    2 simunatanious transcoded streams. How does Atom C2750 sounds? passmark is 3800 i think.

You might be able to make it work. It's close enough that you shouldn't run into any issues, but you probably won't know till you give it a shot. One of the streams might pause to buffer for a few seconds if it can't keep up.

• Hetzner I7's are a good choice.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ScrewdriverScrewdriver Member
    edited February 2018

I have a box from Oneprovider with a C2750, 8GB and 1TB HDD. I regularly stream two 1080P streams transcoded and have no issue. Passmark is 3800 and the CPU hits 80%ish. I pay $13EU a month for 1Gbps unmetered. Been super reliable.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@6ixth said:
    Hetzner I7's are a good choice.

This would work well, just an issue if he plans to use the box for downloading.

Online.net E3-1220 - or any of the special offer boxes would be good if you can find some in stock. I just canceled my E3-1220/16GB/2x2TB - 20 Eur/mo. Not sure how often they restock the special offers though.

UltraSeedbox is also a good option. Not a dedi, but you can get reasonably priced boxes with 10GigE and enough horsepower to handle 2-3 transcodes - plus a couple TB of local storage.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Harambe said:

@6ixth said:
    Hetzner I7's are a good choice.

This would work well, just an issue if he plans to use the box for downloading.

Online.net E3-1220 - or any of the special offer boxes would be good if you can find some in stock. I just canceled my E3-1220/16GB/2x2TB - 20 Eur/mo. Not sure how often they restock the special offers though.

UltraSeedbox is also a good option. Not a dedi, but you can get reasonably priced boxes with 10GigE and enough horsepower to handle 2-3 transcodes - plus a couple TB of local storage.

Where do they list special offers like this? I would definitely jump on this!

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

kalyway said: Where do they list special offers like this? I would definitely jump on this!

This used to be the URL: https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

404íng for me right now. Either they don't have any available, or they changed the URL. Maybe someone else knows, I got mine almost a year back.

• +1 for the C2750 from OneProvider - awesome and inexpensive little box and perfect for plex. It is still available (Paris location) - the price went up to 14€/month but they now give the option of a 128gb ssd or the 1tb hdd (only 1TB for 13€/month when i booked it).