Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE IPv4 Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE IPv4 Question

Hi,

I've been looking around here and on the Internet in general for a solid answer to this question and I get mixed answers everywhere.

I am considering signing up for RIPE's LIR and getting the /22 IPv4 assignment. But my question is, can I route these from the USA?

More specifically, I would most likely lease 2 /24's out of the block to 3rd parties for EU region use only.

Then I would use /24 for my USA network, and, eventually, the other /24 for my EU network.

But immediately I'd would want to route a /24 out of the USA.

Is it a clear violation to announce any RIPE space (not legacy space) from anywhere other than the EU?

I have an LLC in the USA, would it be better to obtain a LTD say in the UK to apply for the LIR?

I know this has been answered a few times around here, but still mixed answers.

Thank you.

Comments

• Technically it's possible. If you wanted to follow rules I think the max out-of-region use is 25%? So 75% (or 3 /24s) in EU, but I may be mistaken.

I've never heard of them enforcing this though.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

It is true nobody accomplishes that, they rent you ripe and any datacenter from Usa or another region can announce it without problems.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, you can maybe get away with it now, but RIPE policies do change and sometimes the changes are applied a tad retrospectively

• RIPE asked me to prove I had hardware within the EU that was intended for use with those resources, and told me specifically that it would only be used in RIPE service region.

• Thanks for all the responses. From your feedback, it seems like it's not worth going down that route unless I have a big EU presence and use them primarily for that. I don't want to drop a few thousand and have any issues later on. I may just look for a lease on an ARIN range.

• You cannot, if they found out that you using them in USA datacenters they will cancel your membership.

• @robert4u said:
    You cannot, if they found out that you using them in USA datacenters they will cancel your membership.

Really? I can find tons of examples just going off RIPE's own membership list of companies registered in the USA routing all their IPs back to their USA data center.

For example, Reprisehosting.com

https://bgp.he.net/AS62838#_prefixes

They have a /22 from RIPE, registered to their USA address as well with RIPE, and if you follow the route on one of the RIPE subnets, it all goes back to the USA.

From the USA the route goes to their DC in Seattle...From the EU..the route goes to their DC in Seattle.

So, it's definitely not anycast as an excuse, they are simply routing from their USA DC.

They didn't even setup a EU subsidiary to obtain the IPs.

I can find numerous networks doing this from RIPE's own membership list.

How are they able to do this if they risk their membership? Who would do that?

• jhjh Member

The question is, is it worth taking the risk? If your business depends on that /24 then probably not.

• nanyonanyo Member
    edited February 2018

@jh said:
    The question is, is it worth taking the risk? If your business depends on that /24 then probably not.

Right, that's exactly my point. I'm not advocating for doing it at all. I am simply now interested in why they would spends thousands to obtain the IPs, only to so blatantly be at risk of losing them? There are dozens of companies doing exactly that, how are they able to get away with it if it's such an obvious violation of the rules?

Also, to that point, as people have said before, they request verification like invoices proving equipment in the EU. How did they come up with that?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited February 2018

I have space from multiple regions mix and matched based on existing announcements to prevent some end users from having to renumber or causing disruption, but I still have enough kit in EU to justify my multiple LIR accounts (and have >75% used in proper areas)