Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH OpenVPN disconnects when getting DDoS'd
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH OpenVPN disconnects when getting DDoS'd

Whenever my OVH gets attacked, the mitigation is on permanent and it kicks in but it seems to drop my connection as well. Already contacted the support so many times and no help, tried OVH Game as well and still doesn't work. I even tried using L2TP and still not. I restarted my router, tried with another computer and still not. I tried so many stuff, even the MTU and the port and still no solution. Does anyone know a solution?

Comments

• I don't think so. The ovh migration rates your connection as part of the ddos and therefore drops you. What port are you using for ovpn?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

You may try to change connection to TCP mode and block all other traffic using OVH firewall.

• @lion said:
    I don't think so. The ovh migration rates your connection as part of the ddos and therefore drops you. What port are you using for ovpn?

I've used 1194, 443 for TCP and 5555

• @exception0x876 said:
    You may try to change connection to TCP mode and block all other traffic using OVH firewall.

I've used TCP and UDP but still no solution. I've bought so many OVHs and it this happens to every single one of them. I got a feeling its my real location or something

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Why your VPN get attacked? This should be the first question.

• You need to use ovh game VPN for openvpn. Regular ovh protection will just drop udp openvpn traffic under attack. Sounds like you don't have it added to the game firewall or you're not on ovh game

• Thanks for > @davidgestiondbi said:

Why your VPN get attacked? This should be the first question.

Because people seem to hate me and they just boot for reputation

• @AlexJones said:
    You need to use ovh game VPN for openvpn. Regular ovh protection will just drop udp openvpn traffic under attack. Sounds like you don't have it added to the game firewall or you're not on ovh game

I do, I use OVH Game and still doesn't work. I use OVH Game from ExtraVM and Treudler resellers. Im not sure if they're as good as the ones they sell in OVH.com

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

And what are you doing in your VPN for people to dislike you? The fact you says both TCP/UDP and multiple IP have the issue, Looks like a DDoS Magnet for me.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:
    You need to use ovh game VPN for openvpn. Regular ovh protection will just drop udp openvpn traffic under attack. Sounds like you don't have it added to the game firewall or you're not on ovh game

I do, I use OVH Game and still doesn't work. I use OVH Game from ExtraVM and Treudler resellers. Im not sure if they're as good as the ones they sell in OVH.com

It's the same exact network. You're doing something wrong. Take a screenshot of the extravm ip firewall for game.

• @AlexJones said:

@Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:

It's the same exact network. You're doing something wrong. Take a screenshot of the extravm ip firewall for game.

I never used the ip firewall, i dont what to put as rules. If u have any suggestions on what to put on the game firewall, i would really appreciate it.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    And what are you doing in your VPN for people to dislike you? The fact you says both TCP/UDP and multiple IP have the issue, Looks like a DDoS Magnet for me.

I use it for modding on my Xbox 360 and I host games

• @Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:

@Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:

I never used the ip firewall, i dont what to put as rules. If u have any suggestions on what to put on the game firewall, i would really appreciate it.

You need to go into the game firewall and add the "other" rule and put the port as your openvpn udp port

Thanked by 1Murxei1
  • @AlexJones said:

@Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:

@Murxei1 said:

@AlexJones said:

You need to go into the game firewall and add the "other" rule and put the port as your openvpn udp port

Alright, I've never tried that, thanks for helping

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2018

davidgestiondbi said: Why your VPN get attacked? This should be the first question.

Nope, it should not. There is DDoS protection, it should work properly, it does not. Let's try to fix that, or get the host to fix. "Just don't get DDoS'ed" is not the answer.

• @rm_ said:

davidgestiondbi said: Why your VPN get attacked? This should be the first question.

Nope, it should not. There is DDoS protection, it should work properly, it does not. Let's try to fix that, or get the host to fix. "Just don't get DDoS'ed" is not the answer.

Already asked the host and they're so useless. None of their answers are a solution. But ima try other things on how to fix it. If the game firewall doesn't work for me, then I'll just use NFOs for now

• The problem is 100% with your config. The largest Gmod and TS3 servers are using ovh game for a reason....

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@AlexJones said:
    The problem is 100% with your config. The largest Gmod and TS3 servers are using ovh game for a reason....

Because they also use OpenVPN, oh wait... not that reason

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@Murxei1 said:

If you have opened tickets with me about protecting a VPN, like I said many times, if you want to protect a VPN you need to find a different protected network. The game firewall only protects game servers, not VPNs. Get OVH out of the question, find a provider who can protect your VPN and pay a bit more. And don't host VPNs on OpenVZ VPS.

• @MikeA Why not? I have a few OpenVPN servers running on ancient NAT boxes. :)

@doghouch said:
    @MikeA Why not? I have a few OpenVPN servers running on ancient NAT boxes. :)

Yes, but do they get attacked daily by mad gamers?

• @MikeA said:

@Murxei1 said:

If you have opened tickets with me about protecting a VPN, like I said many times, if you want to protect a VPN you need to find a different protected network. The game firewall only protects game servers, not VPNs. Get OVH out of the question, find a provider who can protect your VPN and pay a bit more. And don't host VPNs on OpenVZ VPS.

What hosting would you recommend that has higher than 120Gbps besides BlazingFast and that has good DDoS Mitigation hardware?

@Murxei1 I couldn't say, I don't know of any that can guarantee protection for VPNs. I'm sure someone that offers protection other than OVH will see this eventually and offer something though.

• @MikeA said:

@doghouch said:
    @MikeA Why not? I have a few OpenVPN servers running on ancient NAT boxes. :)

Yes, but do they get attacked daily by mad gamers?

Since getting my VPNs up, I've never received a DDoS attack. :P

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Murxei1 said: What hosting would you recommend that has higher than 120Gbps besides BlazingFast and that has good DDoS Mitigation hardware?

Depends what you want to connect to while on the VPN.

I have plenty of people running OpenVPN on our stuff with Voxility which can handle 120Gbit+ without issue.

The problem is that connecting to services like PSN & XBL doesn't work. I'm currently working towards testing a fix for that, will have to see how that goes.

Francisco

• Murxei1 said: Because people seem to hate me

Might be worth fixing that first.

• @Murxei1 said:

@MikeA said:

@Murxei1 said:

What hosting would you recommend that has higher than 120Gbps besides BlazingFast and that has good DDoS Mitigation hardware?

Ovh game because tons of gameservers like toxic Gmod ones used them and stay up.
    Ovh mitigation is I think 600gbps per vac now and there's like 7? Vacs

• @Francisco said:

Murxei1 said: What hosting would you recommend that has higher than 120Gbps besides BlazingFast and that has good DDoS Mitigation hardware?

Depends what you want to connect to while on the VPN.

I have plenty of people running OpenVPN on our stuff with Voxility which can handle 120Gbit+ without issue.

The problem is that connecting to services like PSN & XBL doesn't work. I'm currently working towards testing a fix for that, will have to see how that goes.

Francisco

I would use Voxility but they dont work with PSN and Xbox as you stated. I tried using from BuyVM but they won't work for Xbox nor PSN

• Why are you even being DDoS in the first place for using a private VPN??? I never get a DDoS attack when I use my VPN so I don't get any protection against that stuff. Only need that stuff for running public services that attract that stuff...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2018

@Edmond said:
    Why are you even being DDoS in the first place for using a private VPN??? I never get a DDoS attack when I use my VPN so I don't get any protection against that stuff. Only need that stuff for running public services that attract that stuff...

Well, as the OP said, it's for gaming.

Since PSN/XBL are all P2P, in competitive games (call of duty, halo, rainbow 6, overwatch, etc) people will DDOS one another, either to remove the player completely, or to try to become the 'host' of the match.

Since those games are all p2p, when you're the 'host', you have 0 latency, so using for instance a shotgun, you're likely to kill everything without an issue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Murxei1