Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a host that allows masscan/contacting a lot of internet nodes.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a host that allows masscan/contacting a lot of internet nodes.

I'm working on a project, that scans the internet for proxy servers, then tests them for injecting javascript/other malicious activities, and lists a bunch of good proxies to use. The problem I'm facing, is that no host I can find allows me to masscan the internet. No, I won't be scanning for port 22/23, like a bunch of you will comment. I'm not looking for an incredibly cheap server. Min: 100MBPS. VPS/Dedicated preferred.

Comments

• Scanning for proxies might not be illegal depending on jurisdication but it sure isn't going to be welcomed by a lot of targets. I'd call it dark gray at best. Anyways:

@x0x99x0x said:
    then tests them for injecting javascript/other malicious activities

What do you mean by this?

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@mksh said:
    Scanning for proxies might not be illegal depending on jurisdication but it sure isn't going to be welcomed by a lot of targets. I'd call it dark gray at best. Anyways:

@x0x99x0x said:

means illegal activities aka hackforums. @hawc @AnthonySmith @Amitz

• @cubedata said:

@mksh said:
    Scanning for proxies might not be illegal depending on jurisdication but it sure isn't going to be welcomed by a lot of targets. I'd call it dark gray at best. Anyways:

@x0x99x0x said:

No lol, I'm protecting against illegal activities.

@x0x99x0x said:

@cubedata said:

@mksh said:

@x0x99x0x said:

nope, doing that at all is against the rules here, this ain't hackforums pal.

• @mksh said:

@x0x99x0x said:

My script activates the proxy, and pulls up an example document (google), then tests if it was modified through the proxy. This happens a lot with "anonymous proxies." They inject js, for mining, ads, click fraud, etc

• @cubedata said:

@x0x99x0x said:

@cubedata said:

@mksh said:

@x0x99x0x said:

As far as I can tell, it's not illegal to search for proxies...

edited February 2018

@x0x99x0x said:

@cubedata said:

@x0x99x0x said:

@cubedata said:

@mksh said:

@x0x99x0x said:

okay here you can look for proxies here

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@x0x99x0x said:

@mksh said:

@x0x99x0x said:

My script activates the proxy, and pulls up an example document (google), then tests if it was modified through the proxy. This happens a lot with "anonymous proxies." They inject js, for mining, ads, click fraud, etc

OK, no idea how open proxies tend to behave these days but i guess it makes some sense at least.

@x0x99x0x said:

Matter of jurisdication.

• If I was a provider here, pince they might trigger some blacklists to list the IPs, or end up with abuse complaints, I wouldn't have taken that risk.
    Though I wouldn't have been an arse about it either.

Scanning for proxies is not a bad thing to me. It surely is not a port scanner after all. And to anyone who can read, this clearly is different from whatever they do at hackforums.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Yes determining malicious proxies might be helpfull for those who want to be secure but anyone can anytime share this info at places like hackforums thus I second that comment about it's being in the dark gray area.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I don't see anything particularly concerning with your application so I'd be willing to host this as long as it doesn't generate too much abuse reports (I'll be sure to give you a heads up if that happens). What do you need in terms of specs (RAM, CPU, Disk)? How much traffic are you estimating?