Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm running out of space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm running out of space

imokimok Member

Hi.
I have a couple of news websites running on a shared hosting environment. The problem is I'm running out of space.

Do you have any idea to keep the "app" in the same hosting and move all the static wp-content/uploads/ files to a cheaper space, and keep it simple?

I don't need more CPU power or RAM. I prefer to stay with this shared hosting provider.

I can't move to a VPS now because 100GB SSD could be hard to pay.

Thanks.

Comments

• imok said: keep it simple

Have you tried contacting the provider & asking if it's possible to create a custom plan for you?

• Cdn?

• @quick said:
    Cdn?

I think with a CDN I still have to keep the original files on the server. Am I wrong?

• @Aidan said:

imok said: keep it simple

Have you tried contacting the provider & asking if it's possible to create a custom plan for you?

Yep, costs are increased too much because I paid for a 3 year promo :P And I'm in the 2nd year yet.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • imok said: I think with a CDN I still have to keep the original files on the server. Am I wrong?

not if you use BunnyCDN storage

feel free to use my aff link https://bunnycdn.com/?ref=q47aadh4vc

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • Right, I've forgotten them completely. But how to move in or take backups?

Last time I used the plugin I didn't see any option to move the files.

And I'm still waiting for the BunnyCDN stickers... It's been 80 years.

• Get your generic wordpress cdn plugin. Create a subdomain on another host/package and upload the files under the same folder. Configure the cdn plugin to run the subdomain as a cdn, despite not being it.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @imok What type is the cms? WP? Joomla? Else? This is critical information.

dedicados said: not if you use BunnyCDN storage

I don't have Bunny Storage, but I guess it will work like any external disk space, just combined with the CDN features. I think OP needs a solution to map at first the existing files from a specific folder (e.g. /wp-content/images/2017) to an external source, using maybe .htaccess or other redirect rules.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

There are S3 plugins that will offload your wp-content/uploads. You'll want to use something like that to make things easy for yourself.

Thanked by 1imok
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

+1 @BunnyCDN

We start using them recently and very pleased so far!

• imokimok Member
    edited February 2018

@vovler said:
    Get your generic wordpress cdn plugin. Create a subdomain on another host/package and upload the files under the same folder. Configure the cdn plugin to run the subdomain as a cdn, despite not being it.

I thought WordPress with those plugins could only upload files to local directories.

Those files are uploaded every hour.

@jvnadr it's WordPress.

Edit: It looks like I haven't been seeing the correct plugins. Will take a deeper look to S3 and BunnyCDN.

• @imok said:

@vovler said:
    Get your generic wordpress cdn plugin. Create a subdomain on another host/package and upload the files under the same folder. Configure the cdn plugin to run the subdomain as a cdn, despite not being it.

I thought WordPress with those plugins could only upload files to local directories.

@jvnadr it's WordPress.

Edit: It looks like I haven't been seeing the correct plugins. Will take a deeper look to S3 and BunnyCDN.
    @imok said:

@vovler said:

@jvnadr it's WordPress.

Oh, if there are files uploaded every hour, you may need to code yourself a plugin that uploads the files to the subdomain.

• You can use bunnycdn storage zone and a plugin to auto move your media.

Search for WordPress media from ftp

Thanked by 1imok
  • Go to the file manager and check the size of error log. Is it big as 500MB or something?
    Also go to tmp folder and remove unwanted files and folders of awstats, webalizer etc.

In shared hosting, these things will help you to free up some space.

Thanked by 1imok
  • @Intelpentium0 that's true, specially with modsecurity on my own cPanel instance. But it's not the case here, it's just full of photos.