Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ?

suckerssuckers Member
edited February 2018 in General

Hello,

I'm looking for some storage recommendations for my offsite backup. I think 500GB will be sufficient for now, but foresee that might need an increase in the future.
After some research I came across these two providers, Hetzner and rsync.net.
Both have different strong and weak points. Hetzner (storage box) is cheaper but I'm not sure about their resiliency (which sort of raid they use, which filesystem, how many disk arrays...etc), support level and it doesn't seem to be possible to increase the quota to a lower limit than 1TB.
Rsync.net on the other hand seems to be an expert on their area, with a very good resilience and the support seems decent enough, however their price is a bit on the expensive side.

Does anyone has any experience with these providers or any recommendations?

(Any provider must support integration with BorgBackup)

Comments

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited February 2018

If you use hetzner storage box from outside hetzner network, be ready to be limited to 10 Mbps incoming network (It seems it is caused by peering issue based on another post. Sorry about this)

But if you use hetzner server, it is perfect :)

• jhjh Member

I used rsync.net about 15 years ago. They much be doing something right :)

I use Hetzner's SB now. I would also like more information about what sort of arrays etc. but I've not had any issues in the ~6 months I've used them.

• @akhfa said:
    If you use hetzner storage box from outside hetzner network, be ready to be limited to 10 Mbps incoming network

Ouch, 10Mbps is kind of limiting factor, specially given the amount of data to transfer..

• @jh said:
    I used rsync.net about 15 years ago. They much be doing something right :)

I use Hetzner's SB now. I would also like more information about what sort of arrays etc. but I've not had any issues in the ~6 months I've used them.

Which led you to consider another provider, the price?

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited February 2018

@suckers said:

@akhfa said:
    If you use hetzner storage box from outside hetzner network, be ready to be limited to 10 Mbps incoming network

Ouch, 10Mbps is kind of limiting factor, specially given the amount of data to transfer..

Maybe I can get wrong about this, but at least that is the speed I got from my wholesaleinternet server. When I transfer my backup file and backuping proxmox image, the speed seems to be limited about 10 Mbps.

can @Hetzner_OL confirm about this?

• If you are comfortable setting up/using Attic or Borg with 'no support' then have a look at rsync.net and the 3 cents per GB/month special.

http://www.rsync.net/products/attic.html

Thanked by 1marrco
  • @adamluk said:
    If you are comfortable setting up/using Attic or Borg with 'no support' then have a look at rsync.net and the 3 cents per GB/month special.

http://www.rsync.net/products/attic.html

Thx Adam, I was aware of that promo :)
    That was in fact the price I considered for the research I'm making, however even at a discount is still more expensive than Hetzner...

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

@akhfa said:

Where did you get this information?

As far as I know, INCOMING bandwidth is free on Hetzner, even from outside of their network.

• @Shazan said:

@akhfa said:

Where did you get this information?

As far as I know, INCOMING bandwidth is free on Hetzner, even from outside of their network.

I believe @akhfa was alerting to the fact that the connection appears to be throttled and not to the price, which is indeed free.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • energizeditenergizedit Member, Host Rep

The Hetzner storage boxes do not allow rsync/ssh you can only do webdav, ftp

As others stated though a better solution is to get a sale on a server and set it up for backup, works much better you can setup rsync, ssh, sftp etc.

• @energizedit said:
    The Hetzner storage boxes do not allow rsync/ssh you can only do webdav, ftp

As others stated though a better solution is to get a sale on a server and set it up for backup, works much better you can setup rsync, ssh, sftp etc.

They don't offer rsync but they do offer ssh and other protocols (however you wont be able to have a shell ).

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/BorgBackup/en#Borg_and_SSH

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited February 2018

Your files on Storage Boxes are safeguarded with a RAID configuration which can withstand several drive failures. Therefore, there is a relatively small chance of data being lost. Please note, however, that you are responsible for your data and there is no guarantee from Hetzner against potential loss of data. The data is not mirrored onto other servers.

There's some RAID but it isn't specified which level.. Hetzner's network isn't all that great from the US, too. It's pretty decent from within the EU.. Perhaps you could spin up the small storage box and see if it fits your needs?

rsync.net looks like a great service, but IMO it's out of LET budget. I'd pick Hetzner

• @caracal said:

Your files on Storage Boxes are safeguarded with a RAID configuration which can withstand several drive failures. Therefore, there is a relatively small chance of data being lost. Please note, however, that you are responsible for your data and there is no guarantee from Hetzner against potential loss of data. The data is not mirrored onto other servers.

There's some RAID but it isn't specified which level.. Hetzner's network isn't all that great from the US, too. It's pretty decent from within the EU.. Perhaps you could spin up the small storage box and see if it fits your needs?

rsync.net looks like a great service, but IMO it's out of LET budget. I'd pick Hetzner

I saw that in their docs, but this is a bit vague.
    I'm not sure why they don't disclose disclose which level of raid they are using on their storage box and which filesystem they are using on the storage box (I assume that's zfs judging by the snapshots location, but its unclear) and resilience is paramount for me, specially because all my backups will be offsite.
    However the connection throttling to 10Mpbs is a killer deal for me. If that's true it would take me more than 4 days to upload 500GB.

I possibly will only find out after I spin up one small storage box..

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited February 2018

@suckers said:
    However the connection throttling to 10Mpbs is a killer deal for me. If that's true it would take me more than 4 days to upload 500GB.

My last backup from an OVH server did average at 45MB/s so the 10mbit thing doesn't seem to be a hard limit but perhaps a peering issue.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • @suckers said: I possibly will only find out after I spin up one small storage box..

Have you tried simply asking them?
    You won't be happy going by hear-say and experimentation — and then possibly getting a nasty surprise when you trigger some kind of limitation later.

• @caracal said:

@suckers said:

My last backup from an OVH server did average at 45MB/s so the 10mbit thing doesn't seem to be a hard limit but perhaps a peering issue.

You have an account at Hetzner or that was from OVH? A rate of 45MB/s is very good.
    Strangely they mentioned on their site that the connection will only be throttled if the connection limit is exceeded:

Traffic use is free of cost. However, if you exceed more than 2 TB/month, your connection will be throttled (the basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated). We recommend upgrading to a Storage Box with more included traffic if you need more than 2 TB a month.

• It was a backup from OVH (GRA) --> Hetzner storage

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@suckers said:
    Strangely they mentioned on their site that the connection will only be throttled if the connection limit is exceeded:

Indeed, when I wrote "free" in my previous post, I meant that inbound bandwidth is not throttled if you don't exceed the outbound bandwidth. And they don't calculate outbound traffic inside their network.

• there is no limitation to 10 Mbit on those storage boxes for external traffic as far as I know. after they came up with that product line I did some benchmarks: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1361465/#Comment_1361465

so clearly more in the 50-100Mbit range, depending on the protocol (and provider) you use.
    for WSI it's most likely the distance which hurts performance, esp. if used with ftp.

if you already have an account with hetzner, then that's what their 14 day trial period is for. order the product and check it out. if you keep it you have to pay for it from the first day of use. if you don't like it, you can cancel your order within the first two weeks and don't have to pay anything.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Falzo said:
    there is no limitation to 10 Mbit on those storage boxes for external traffic as far as I know. after they came up with that product line I did some benchmarks: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1361465/#Comment_1361465

so clearly more in the 50-100Mbit range, depending on the protocol (and provider) you use.
    for WSI it's most likely the distance which hurts performance, esp. if used with ftp.

if you already have an account with hetzner, then that's what their 14 day trial period is for. order the product and check it out. if you keep it you have to pay for it from the first day of use. if you don't like it, you can cancel your order within the first two weeks and don't have to pay anything.

Thanks.
    50-100Mbps is nice, I will probably know for sure if there's any limitation once I test it.
    I wasn't aware they have a refund policy.
    That's another problem with rsync.net and their borg/attic account, you have to pay for the year. :(

• Another solution is to spin up one of their cloud instances and plug that into the storage box. For instance, the smallest instance CX11 is €2.49/m and include 20TB traffic.

You get around the storage box limitations and the internal traffic is included in the price of the storage box.

https://hetzner.com/cloud

Thanked by 2Falzo Hetzner_OL
  • @beagle said:
    Another solution is to spin up one of their cloud instances and plug that into the storage box. For instance, the smallest instance CX11 is €2.49/m and include 20TB traffic.

You get around the storage box limitations and the internal traffic is included in the price of the storage box.

https://hetzner.com/cloud

I don't think by adding another layer on top of it will solve the latency issue, since the backups are local and need to be uploaded to Hetzner servers (so the problem will persist) unless the bandwidth on the storage box are different from the Hetzner servers (which I personally don't see a reason)

• imthatguyhereimthatguyhere Member
    edited February 2018

@Falzo said:

I can confirm speeds of 80-120Mbps to between the USA and a storage box over the last few days (Multi-threaded SFTP). Though upload wise I've seen it closer to 40Mbps at times.

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

@imthatguyhere said:

@Falzo said:

I can confirm speeds of 80-120Mbps to between the USA and a storage box over the last few days (Multi-threaded SFTP). Though upload wise I've seen it closer to 40Mbps at times.

That's actually not bad. But given the responses from other users I'm not sure how reliable the connection is. I guess I will only know after I spin up one account.

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

In any case, judging by the replies in this thread I see that the majority of the preferences goes to Hetzner over rsync.net .
    So I will probably go for that, although their product (storage box) seems to be not as clear and transparent described when compared with rsync.net

• rsync.net is 8 cents per GB, ouch. $80 for 1TB

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

Actually if you are able to do your own versioning and snapshots, for instance with borg, then they have a price of 3 cents per GB per month.

More details here:
    https://www.rsync.net/signup/signup_offer.html?code=f0a35f

• imthatguyhere said:

I can confirm speeds of 80-120Mbps to between the USA

I've gotten upload speeds that fast between the US and Hetzner, but downloads are usually much slower. Hetzner is great if most of your traffic is in EU. Otherwise take the low transatlantic outbound traffic into account when deciding if it's right for you.

• How long it takes for a storage box account to be provisioned once the order was submitted?
    Their page says it will take a few minutes, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

• Hemm... It seems that it just only me (post edited)...

Actually I always want to try to add a hetzner vps in front of the storage box to see if the speed improved, but I still doesn't have time to do that.... :(