Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purpose of GPU Hosting other than mining?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Purpose of GPU Hosting other than mining?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

What do people do with GPUs on servers other than mining? Is there an actual market for dedicated (or VPS) server with GPUs?

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Machine Learning algorithms, video encoding, image processing, number crunching, testing opencv/opencl apps, etc.

There's uses for it. Not many, but there are some. I doubt anyone would rent a GPU dedi to mine with though. The return just isn't there.

Thanked by 1lowenduser4531
  • AidanAidan Member
    edited February 2018

randvegeta said: Is there an actual market for dedicated

Massive, though it's hard to get into.

Personally, I've only dealt with GPU-accelerated physics for engineering projects.

Or, one of the following 545 apps:

https://app.nvidia.com//resources/download/excel

The use case for a GPU in a server is quite large & expanding every day.

• We do molecular dynamics and ab initio calculations on GPU.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Interesting. So when all this crypto nonsense comes crashing down, will all the GPUs end up in special use case dedicated servers?

Presumably applications suited for GPUs are highly parallelised and can benefit from multiple GPUs?

What about mining rigs... they use these riser cards, only using a tiny number of the actual pins. Would mining rigs be easily converted to do something else?

• Interesting. So when all this crypto nonsense comes crashing down, will all the GPUs end up in special use case dedicated servers?

Probably not, peddling 2nd hand GPUs to large institutions is nigh impossible.

randvegeta said: Presumably applications suited for GPUs are highly parallelised and can benefit from multiple GPUs?

It really depends on the software, most of it can run on multiple GPUs - though older software is still limited to a single GPU/single node.

What about mining rigs... they use these riser cards, only using a tiny number of the actual pins. Would mining rigs be easily converted to do something else?

Mining rigs use 1x PCI2/3 risers as the calculations are compute-intense, but light on bandwidth.

Would mining rigs be easily converted to do something else?

I don't have nearly enough knowledge to speculate, though it'll definitely work with most medical software - though that's moot, the secondhand market will just be flooded in the event of a complete crypto collapse.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Aidan said: I don't have nearly enough knowledge to speculate, though it'll definitely work with most medical software - though that's moot, the secondhand market will just be flooded in the event of a complete crypto collapse.

Indeed. I only have a handful of GPUs (literally) so I'm not concerned about the price of resale of GPUs.

I just read an article on the BBC about how some scientests are unable to get some high end GPUs necessary for their work due to the lack of supply as a result of insane demand from miners.

This got me thinking about what the fallout would be in the event of a crypto collapse. Many bubbles actually have long term positive side effects. Infrastructure is normally a consequence of any bubble. By the end of the dot com boom, we ended up with a fairly robust internet which came about as a result of massive investment in network infrastructure.

I was wondering what the crypto bubble's legacy will be. Some buildings will be laden with massive amounts of power, but I'm not sure how useful that would be. But the vast majority of crypto investment goes into mining equipment, and I'm wondering if those GPUs will have a use after the crash. And will the use-case have anything positive to offer the world? It's actually quite interesting.

The more you can do with GPUs, the more possibilities there will be.

• Any computation that benefits from parallelism

• Remote Football Manager via VNC/RDP.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:
    Remote Football Manager via VNC/RDP.

Taken already.
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidia-grid-cloud-gaming-uk.html

Thanked by 2Aidan lowenduser4531
  • I love to mess around with random machine learning projects but dedicated GPU servers are just too expensive. If someone figured out how to create shared GPU servers for <$10 I would buy in a heartbeat.

I've messed around with pay-as-you-go servers a little bit but they are not very convenient.

• @nulldev said:
    If someone figured out how to create shared GPU servers for <$10 I would buy in a heartbeat.

Using older hardware locally with some inexpensive older GPUs is probably your best bet for that.

• I was searching the web for this question and I came across the Golem network. Joined this forum to let you know. Enjoy :)

• Programs like hashcat can make use of GPU's for password cracking!

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

I once used my 1060 to crack a password-protected rar file. The rar file contained supposedly sensitive docs and the kid wanted 5 euro for the password.

Took me 40ish minutes to crack.

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

Lots of people run runescape/other mmorpg gold bots where you need rdp + graphical interface/gpu power. So there is definitely that kinda market.

Thanked by 1lowenduser4531
  • Leela chess, https://lczero.org .

Thanked by 1mokafu