Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

where providers host their own site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

where providers host their own site?

omelasomelas Member
edited February 2018 in General

Would it have own dedicated machine for it? Or on a VPS? Or even in a shared hosting?

Edit: I don't have plan to run a hosting company.

Comments

• Definitely not option C.

• At least a KVM VPS. Dedicated server is the best option. Unless you want to setup a summer host. Then you can use a shared/reseller account. No problem at all.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Dedicated server is my only option, could save money though but that would mean occasional downtime!

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2018

Cheapskate hosts who have no operation sense will sometimes host their site on a single VM running from dedicated servers they run customer VMs on; the problem with this becomes self-evident the first time they have an outage on that server and customers are unable to raise tickets and get status updates.

I suspect most sensible hosts have the site operate from either dedicated servers or VMs with at least two different providers for redundancy.

• Also, I look forward to your forthcoming offer.

• @Nekki said:
    Also, I look forward to your forthcoming offer.

Sorry, but I don't have a plan to run a hosting company currently.

• @omelas said:

@Nekki said:
    Also, I look forward to your forthcoming offer.

Sorry, but I don't have a plan to run a hosting company currently.

Thank fuck for that.

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Premium Production Ready Cloud.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@omelas said:
    Would it have own dedicated machine for it? Or on a VPS? Or even in a shared hosting?

Edit: I don't have plan to run a hosting company.

We use a VM on high availability Virtuozzo cluster. Customers are also on this cluster. I don't see a problem with this... High availability is a must!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    Cheapskate hosts who have no operation sense will sometimes host their site on a single VM running from dedicated servers they run customer VMs on; the problem with this becomes self-evident the first time they have an outage on that server and customers are unable to raise tickets and get status updates.

I suspect most sensible hosts have the site operate from either dedicated servers or VMs with at least two different providers for redundancy.

Oh, the silence. How nice to be able to work without being disturbed.

On a more serious note, no.