Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox not Installing on Debian9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox not Installing on Debian9

I can't get Proxmox to install on a Hetzner i7-3770 it gives up at the last hurdle complaining about dpkg processing package pve-firewall.

Is anyone using Debian9 with it? I followed this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch

Comments

• Did you bother reading what the complaint was, and resolving, or even sharing that issue?

• WSS said: Did you bother reading what the complaint was, and resolving, or even sharing that issue?

Yep searched for an answer on Google and Hetzner help system :)

It's installing at the moment so will post here after.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

No offense, but I believe Proxmox is available in their rescue system? Why would you necessarily need to install Proxmox on top of your own Debian rather than using a pre-modified version instead?

• @RickBakkr said:
    No offense, but I believe Proxmox is available in their rescue system? Why would you necessarily need to install Proxmox on top of your own Debian rather than using a pre-modified version instead?

You get better (granular) hardware control by doing it atop of your own Debian install. Ever tried to FakeRAID from a Proxmox install ISO? Didn't think so.

Thanked by 1RickBakkr
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

You need to update /etc LOLPLACEHOLDERTHANKSCF hosts as explained or the install will fail.

Thanked by 2Falzo solarman
  • @Neoon said:
    You need to update /etc LOLPLACEHOLDERTHANKSCF hosts as explained or the install will fail.

most likely this! RTFM.

did install Proxmox on stretch by following that wiki multiple times (yes, on hetzner too). no issues here.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Logs would help to diagnose the issue, rather then " something about pve-firewall" Of the top of my head, did you verify the hosts file is correct? Proxmox is very picky about that.

Thanked by 1solarman
  • It worked this time

Neoon said: You need to update /etc LOLPLACEHOLDERTHANKSCF hosts as explained or the install will fail.

freerangecloud said: Of the top of my head, did you verify the hosts file is correct? Proxmox is very picky about that.

Yes I didn't change the IPv6 capable hosts the first time.

Falzo said: most likely this! RTFM.

Yea your right I'm guilty of not doing that and often spouting it but this time it's a case of "Take my advice I'm not using it"

What I was getting before I changed the IPv6 entry in the hosts file.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of qemu-server: qemu-server depends on pve-firewall; however: Package pve-firewall is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package qemu-server (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve: proxmox-ve depends on qemu-server; however: Package qemu-server is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-manager: pve-manager depends on pve-firewall; however: Package pve-firewall is not configured yet. pve-manager depends on qemu-server (>= 1.1-1); however: Package qemu-server is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-ha-manager: pve-ha-manager depends on qemu-server; however: Package qemu-server is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package pve-ha-manager (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-container: pve-container depends on pve-ha-manager; however: Package pve-ha-manager is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package pve-container (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing: pve-firewall qemu-server proxmox-ve pve-manager pve-ha-manager pve-container E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • apt update && apt install -f

• @solarman said:

seems their firewall thingy depends a lot on the correct hosts entries. I have to admit, I think it wasn't that picky in older versions though and also it would have been better if they'd provide a helper/wrapper with their packages that'd take care of those settings during the installation...

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

This might be a useful: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1solarman
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    This might be a useful: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en --Katie, Marketing

Thanks but it's a bit dated

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

I just did a minimal debian 9 install and followed the instructions on proxmox website. Worked first time.
    Edit: on a hetzner box I should add.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    I just did a minimal debian 9 install and followed the instructions on proxmox website. Worked first time.
    Edit: on a hetzner box I should add.

That's nice!

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2018

It's not a very RTFM problem, but a very common issue.

Edit your /etc/hosts and add or correct the line for the host itself, like

2.3.4.5 my-proxmox my-proxmox.my-net.internal

Then rerun your last apt command. Should just work.

Edit: fu*k the cloudflare protection I can't even type slash etc slash hosts

Edit2: seems you already figured out XD

Thanked by 1solarman
  • apt-get remove insserv

removed insserv and reinstalled systemd