Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a New Domain Registrar
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a New Domain Registrar

Fed up with my current registrar that is trying to charge me for domain services for domains I no longer own. (Not the first time this has happened.) I need to transfer about 20 domains to a registrar who has NA based support who can comprehend and speak English.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Might be good to tell your current registrar so people don't recommend it.

I use Namecheap for all of my domains, never had an issue, support is good (and live chat). Otherwise Google Domains.

• The usual reliable registrars around here are namesilo and porkbun; I use both and like them. Haven't needed their support, though.

• NameSilo is my go to for domains, if it's a TLD they don't support then I go with NameCheap instead.

I've had a great experience with both and recommend them. If I had to pick one then I'd go with NameSilo.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2018

Porkbun has nice US based people. They're newer but definitely cool.

• Porkbun or Namesilo

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

PorkBun

• +1 for PorkBun

• Weblogics said: registrar who has NA based support

Most companies in this area outsource their support team to some India companies. They certainly speak English, but you wouldn't expect a purely NA-based team.

• Thanks everyone. I'll look at both Namesilo and PorkBun.

Someone asked that I name my current registrar, but I will pass on that as I don't want the LET crowd to wield their pitchforks and issue the launch codes in a cause célèbre against the registrar based on one person's experience with them.

• Namesilo

• NameSilo is OK, but I don't like their aggrandizing. Porkbun? No complaints other than a lack of a public API.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Porkbun/Namesilo have been good to me. Moniker for some stuff, usually more exotic extensions.

For mission critical I won't use anyone other than Hover.com though. Have called them at 10pm on Christmas Eve to sort out an emergency move and someone picked up the phone after 3 rings. Will happily pay the premium for that kind of service.

• Porkbun +1

• NameCheap for me, good 24/7 livechat support.

• I vote for Porkbun and Namesilo!

• Namesilo, Namecheap +1

• @Weblogics said:
    Fed up with my current registrar that is trying to charge me for domain services for domains I no longer own. (Not the first time this has happened.) I need to transfer about 20 domains to a registrar who has NA based support who can comprehend and speak English.

Any suggestions?

interserver.net and NAMecheap.com

• NameSilo is the best!!!

• I use OVH and then host the DNS on Route53 / Azure DNS depending on what I'm doing with it.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited February 2018

Namesilo is pretty good. Back in the days I found here the code "LOWENDTALK" for 1$ off your first purchase there.

If you want to diversify: porkbun is great too, OVH works fine and has good pricing on most tlds... If you want some more exotic providers I'd recommend internet.bs (though it's now based in the uk) or pananames...

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited February 2018

OVH does not "work", their backend is terribly broken (spent almost two weeks explaining their job to the support staff, just to get a domain correctly transferred...) and a PITA to deal with (thank you, Manager v0.01beta). Save for a few TLDs, their prices are not worth the hassle.

Namesilo also lags behind the bunch, too busy cashing money to actually follow up with the registrar routine. E.g. after 6 months they still haven't activated security extensions for the .mobi TLD. But prices are great and if you don't care about DNS stuff, it works reasonably well.

• Namesilo.com, Name.com or uniregistry.com are the best registrars. Uniregistry and namesilo has free whois privacy too.

• Namecheap or Godaddy.

• +1 for NameSilo, Godaddy and NameCheap

• +50 Google domains