VPS with NetBSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

VPS with NetBSD

Hello friends,
just looking for a VPS with NetBSD. It seems this OS isn't very well supported.

Comments

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

    Just ask any KVM host to mount the ISO for you to install.

    Thanked by 2JoseQueso mows
  • JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 12

    @MikeA said:
    Just ask any KVM host to mount the ISO for you to install.

    You are a gentleman and a scholar.

    Thanked by 1mows

    Why fly on Dewlance's magic carpet when you can just be DDOS'd?

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited February 12

    @JoseQueso said:

    @MikeA said:
    Just ask any KVM host to mount the ISO for you to install.

    You are a gentleman and a scholar.

    I'm a professor at Harvard.

    Thanked by 1mows
  • WSSWSS Member

    It's not the easiest to load with gPXE/iPXE, so, yeah, ask for an ISO.

    Thanked by 1mows

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • @mows: For example, @LiteServer offers NetBSD ISOs. Also, NetBSD works well on Vultr (you can upload your own ISO).

    Thanked by 3mows LiteServer uptime

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • lionlion Member
    edited February 12

    @angstrom said:

    @LiteServer offers NetBSD ISOs.

    While were at it, kudos to Liteserver regarding his large collection of ISOs and keeping them up to date.

    Well kudos in general, great Provider.

  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited February 12

    @lion said: While were at it, kudos to Liteserver regarding his large collection of ISOs and keeping them up to date.

    Indeed, this is how providers (especially those who use SolusVM as their CP) should do things.

    Thanked by 2mows LiteServer

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mowsmows Member

    Thanks all for your thoughts. This helped me :)

  • @mows Also, depending on your needs you may find sdf.org useful. Main system runs NetBSD, you get a personal website at $name.sdf.org, compilers, personal mail, etc, you can check the "join" page for more info.

    Also provides VPS servers at $7 a month, with NetBSD. Shit, they even have plan9 bootcamps every so often. Haven't personaly used them, though.

    NetBSD 8.0_BETA (GENERIC.201712141330Z)

    SDF is a NetBSD development site. We are the largest NetBSD installation in

    the world. Because of this the SDF cluster serves as a testbed for future
    NetBSD releases. We are currently testing the new NetBSD-8 release and are
    working through a short list of bugs. If the SDF cluster is unavailable,
    check http://www.sdf.org for NetBSD developer status. Debugging takes time
    but is much faster with a live system.

    Thank you for supporing NetBSD, a free alternative to Linux and Windows Server.

    Not for the faint of heart or those not willing to learn, and it's also not run like a business. It's a non-profit, community supported, so keep that in mind. It's fine for hobbyists, educators/students, basically anything that isn't mission-critical. I wouldn't try to run your business from it, but if you just wanna dick around with NetBSD or something it's great. Plus the MA is great for storage and NextCloud, though MA runs CentOS.

    Thanked by 2angstrom mows
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Provider

    @angstrom @lion

    Thanks! :-)

    Thanked by 2angstrom Inglar

    LiteServer.nl - Since 2007 the place where quality meets you!
    NL located // AS60404 // OpenVZ + KVM + SSD + SSD Cached VPSes // LEB plans starting at 128 MB

  • @im_jmz said:
    @mows Also, depending on your needs you may find sdf.org useful. Main system runs NetBSD, you get a personal website at $name.sdf.org, compilers, personal mail, etc, you can check the "join" page for more info.

    Also provides VPS servers at $7 a month, with NetBSD. Shit, they even have plan9 bootcamps every so often. Haven't personaly used them, though.

    NetBSD 8.0_BETA (GENERIC.201712141330Z)

    SDF is a NetBSD development site. We are the largest NetBSD installation in

    the world. Because of this the SDF cluster serves as a testbed for future
    NetBSD releases. We are currently testing the new NetBSD-8 release and are
    working through a short list of bugs. If the SDF cluster is unavailable,
    check http://www.sdf.org for NetBSD developer status. Debugging takes time
    but is much faster with a live system.

    Thank you for supporing NetBSD, a free alternative to Linux and Windows Server.

    Not for the faint of heart or those not willing to learn, and it's also not run like a business. It's a non-profit, community supported, so keep that in mind. It's fine for hobbyists, educators/students, basically anything that isn't mission-critical. I wouldn't try to run your business from it, but if you just wanna dick around with NetBSD or something it's great. Plus the MA is great for storage and NextCloud, though MA runs CentOS.

    I still have an old shell account on the European version of sdf.org, which is sdfeu.org. The guy who runs sdf.org and sdfeu.org is a big fan of NetBSD. That old shell account is what originally introduced me to NetBSD, but nowadays, I prefer to run my own instance of NetBSD on a VPS, which gives me much freedom than a shell account.

    Thanked by 1im_jmz

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Provider

    I could happily provide a netbsd iso and you could install it yourself from a spice console. 1GB RAM/30GB Disk/3TB transfer - $4/mo.

    Thanked by 1mows

    VPS, Shared Hosting, Routed Subnets and more - https://freerangecloud.com

  • mowsmows Member

    @im_jmz
    That's a great idea and thanks for it. Yes, atm I freak around with netbsd to figure out if it could replace my productive running linux services cuz I feel really f*ckd with the actually linux kernel. I remember had a shell on sdf yeeears ago too! :) I will have a look on that.

    @freerangecloud
    Great offer. I now already have a box at Liteserver.nl, but I will have a look on your site too. Thanks!

    The installation of NetBSD at Liteserver was via a CD Mount and VNC. A bit tricky if you do it the first time, but works. If providers consider to support ISOs they simply could use the basic install with a modern texteditor (i.e. nano) and "permit root login" activated in sshd_config. As a plus "pkgsrc" could be preconfigured and "pkgin" installed. :P

    Thanks!

    Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited February 13

    @mows said: The installation of NetBSD at Liteserver was via a CD Mount and VNC. A bit tricky if you do it the first time, but works. If providers consider to support ISOs they simply could use the basic install with a modern texteditor (i.e. nano) and "permit root login" activated in sshd_config. As a plus "pkgsrc" could be preconfigured and "pkgin" installed. :P

    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • WSSWSS Member

    @angstrom said:
    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

    It sounds like you'd be more comfortable using FreeBSD.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • @WSS said:

    @angstrom said:
    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

    It sounds like you'd be more comfortable using FreeBSD.

    Is FreeBSD also like NetBSD in this respect? Only vi at the beginning?

    OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • WSSWSS Member

    @angstrom said:

    @WSS said:

    @angstrom said:
    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

    It sounds like you'd be more comfortable using FreeBSD.

    Is FreeBSD also like NetBSD in this respect? Only vi at the beginning?

    No, they have a much easier to use editor. It used to be 'ee'. Not sure what it is these days, because the whole install is dialog based, unless you install TrueOS, in which case it's a GUI. A clumsy, but functional GUI.

    OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    ..because setting up your bsd slices needs emacs?

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • mkshmksh Member

    @angstrom said:
    OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    I wonder if they also offer edlin for maximum user friendlyness.

    Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

    @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:
    OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    I wonder if they also offer edlin for maximum user friendlyness.

    edlin is dos. You want ed.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • @WSS said:

    @angstrom said:
    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

    It sounds like you'd be more comfortable using FreeBSD.

    But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • WSSWSS Member

    @angstrom said:
    But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

    You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited February 13

    @WSS said: [angstrom said] OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    ..because setting up your bsd slices needs emacs?

    It's more fun that way.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mkshmksh Member

    @WSS said:

    @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:
    OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

    I wonder if they also offer edlin for maximum user friendlyness.

    edlin is dos. You want ed.

    Yeah, maybe even that. Not sure if users are ready for it yet though.

  • @WSS said: @angstrom said: But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

    You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    But don't forget the context above: I was reacting to something that @mows said (who seemed to be lamenting the absence of nano after a fresh install).

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @WSS said: No, they have a much easier to use editor. It used to be 'ee'. Not sure what it is these days,

    Just checked, FreeBSD appears to still offer both ee and vi in the base:

    https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/editors.html

    Thanked by 1WSS

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mkshmksh Member

    @angstrom said:

    @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

    cat > whatever.

  • @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:

    @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

    cat > whatever.

    Yeah, okay, but that's a bit awkward for editing a file. I personally don't mind having to use vi for a short while. :-)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mkshmksh Member

    @angstrom said:

    @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:

    @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

    cat > whatever.

    Yeah, okay, but that's a bit awkward for editing a file. I personally don't mind having to use vi for a short while. :-)

    Well, if that proves to be to much of a pain i guess sed might be an option too but you are right unless someone is severly alergic to vi it's probably easiest to just endure it for a bit.

  • @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:

    @mksh said:

    @angstrom said:

    @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

    vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

    cat > whatever.

    Yeah, okay, but that's a bit awkward for editing a file. I personally don't mind having to use vi for a short while. :-)

    Well, if that proves to be to much of a pain i guess sed might be an option too but you are right unless someone is severly alergic to vi it's probably easiest to just endure it for a bit.

    All that one needs to do is to keep handy a half-page summary of frequently used commands in vi (until one manages to install nano, as I said above). :-)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mowsmows Member

    @angstrom
    Yes, that way. I felt like I hacked NetBSD after I finally finished the sshd_config changes. :o

  • WSSWSS Member

    I remember back when you'd install the base, then the first thing you'd do is make your own hardware kernel config to get that precious extra few megs of RAM back.

    NetBSD modules are much less, er, unstable than other things.

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

  • mowsmows Member

    Ya, that's one reason why it gets into my focus. FreeBSD makes a good desktop sys too (I tested TrueOS). It just don't support that amount of sound drivers like the Linux kernel does. But it's a hell of more stable and functional than most desktop distributions these days.

  • @mows said:
    @angstrom
    Yes, that way. I felt like I hacked NetBSD after I finally finished the sshd_config changes. :o

    And don't forget to set EDITOR in ~/.profile to nano. :-)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

Sign In or Register to comment.