Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

LowEndTalk Community Rules [Updated November 2019] - Page 2
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

LowEndTalk Community Rules [Updated November 2019]

Comments

• rm_rm_ Member

jarland said: I actually kind of like it, and do it myself. It's a method of expression that has grown to significant adoption levels on the internet. It brings some humor with it. It can communicate things in a more unique way than merely text, much like emoticons.

You don't agree there needs to be a certain amount of measure and taste, for these to remain funny and not drown out the actual useful content? And who do we contact for a second opinion then, @SysAdmin?

Thanked by 1userandom
    • rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2017

Furthermore there are rules that apply to e.g. signatures, for them not to be annoying and distracting:

Signatures longer than most of your posts that fill significant portions of our screens. It should not be more than two lines, nor should it be distracting.

But a flood of posts like these in a general discussion thread
      https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158506/#Comment_2158506
      https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158512/#Comment_2158512
      is entirely okay?

• LeeLee Member

rm_ said: And who do we contact for a second opinion then, @SysAdmin?

Really.... lol

Thanked by 1jar

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• WSSWSS Member

@rm_ said:

jarland said: I actually kind of like it, and do it myself. It's a method of expression that has grown to significant adoption levels on the internet. It brings some humor with it. It can communicate things in a more unique way than merely text, much like emoticons.

You don't agree there needs to be a certain amount of measure and taste, for these to remain funny and not drown out the actual useful content? And who do we contact for a second opinion then, @SysAdmin?

I get it. You don't like me. I can still get by without you enjoying my posts. However, calling upon the moderators' moderator may very well be your undoing. May your beheading be swift and successful with the first attempt.

I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2017

I get it. You don't like me. I can still get by without you enjoying my posts.

This has nothing to do with any particular user, if you note the posts I linked to are not just yours. IMO some standard needs to be developed, and while personally I'd go for a complete forum engine level ban of animated images, if others like those, perhaps a "maximum one per post" limit can be considered?

Thanked by 2ucxo Corey
    • jarjar Provider
      edited April 2017

@rm_ said:

I appointed a team of people who do not always agree with me and made no requests or demands that they agree with me. They are empowered to do what they feel is right. You are welcome to get opinions from any of them.

I just think you're being overly sensitive for someone who has stated, multiple times, that your appreciation for LET often centers around not being overly moderated.

Thanked by 3WSS trewq Claverhouse

HB | Block AS9009 (M247) for unfiltered abuse and ignoring abuse complaints

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Provider

@jarland said:

@rm_ said:

I appointed a team of people who do not always agree with me and made no requests or demands that they agree with me. They are empowered to do what they feel is right. You are welcome to get opinions from any of them.

I just think you're being overly sensitive for someone who has stated, multiple times, that your appreciation for LET often centers around not being overly moderated.

When you do a good job, people think you've done nothing.

Thanked by 2jar joepie91

@rm_ said:

raindog308 said: You seem to be having a bad day...? You're not usually so aggressive.

Sorry, but it doesn't make a good day seeing a place that I like and enjoy since 2011 being over-flooded with junk and noise in every thread, and rapidly going down in quality while people who are supposed to watch over this just cheering and not trying to stop that. If you want to discuss then let's continue in the corresponding thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158827/#Comment_2158827

In my opinion the quality has increased. We treat everyone as if we have known them for years, we throw shit and expect it back, we're here to have fun and learn from each other. If that's not a community I don't know what is.

I'm sad that you think otherwise, you've contributed a decent amount to the community and I would want to address your concerns before they reach critical mass.

I assess each gif post I see and they are normally in context. If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

• WSSWSS Member

@trewq said:
      I assess each gif post I see and they are normally in context. If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

Me. Tribe of PlentyGIF. Ancestor of GRASP. Know so many of sexings. Howdy.

• rm_ said: Not the level of content you would expect seeing on a hosting discussion forum,

You've been here since 2011. It's not like the community has radically changed since then.

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited April 2017

raindog308 said: You've been here since 2011. It's not like the community has radically changed since then.

Nope, the GIF issue is a recent thing. There has never been this amount of tasteless GIF junk en masse across threads, not at any point in time since 2011. Still I would not want to pinpoint it to any of the recently registered users even though that might be justified in some cases.

trewq said: If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

As linked above, here are two posts side by side with 3 each:
      Looks good to you, seriously? And when an entire thread is hijacked by a flood of these, do you honestly believe stuff like this belongs anywhere but to the "Cest Pit"? Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise, on the contrary here on LET you could find some of the best and most insightful "Offtopic" discussions on certain subjects.

• jarjar Provider

rm_ said: Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise

It is true that @spirit would delete posts that were images only if not screenshots relevant to the discussion, but he's been gone for quite some time.

I'm a bit curious if you could expand on why this bothers you and reduces your quality of experience on the site? I mean I know you can scroll past them, and you know an entire thread hijacked by a bunch of memes would obviously be a different scenario than these examples. it seems like there's a deeper issue that maybe we're not hearing, and I would appreciate if you could give us some insight into that.

HB | Block AS9009 (M247) for unfiltered abuse and ignoring abuse complaints

@rm_ said:

trewq said: If a limit were to be set of a max per post how many would you think? I'd go with three if we were to set a limit.

As linked above, here are two posts side by side with 3 each:
      Looks good to you, seriously? And when an entire thread is hijacked by a flood of these, do you honestly believe stuff like this belongs anywhere but to the "Cest Pit"? Even the "Offtopic" category has never been down to this level of noise, on the contrary here on LET you could find some of the best and most insightful "Offtopic" discussions on certain subjects.

Honestly I don't see it as noise. I don't look at all posts, takes less than a second to see if you want it to take your attention.

We aren't a mailing list where everything goes to your inbox with a alert, you have a choice about what you see.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

I agree with @rm_ that the majority of gifs that get posted aren't funny, interesting, or in any way worth the data transfer, but I don't see enough of them for me to care too much.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• LeeLee Member

jarland said: he's been gone for quite some time.

You're welcome.

Thanked by 2jar dhanav

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• NekkiNekki Moderator

Lee said: You're welcome.

I think his 'spirit' lives on in Captain Killjoy/@Ishaq though.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• LeeLee Member

Nekki said: I think his 'spirit' lives on in Captain Killjoy/@Ishaq though.

Harsh, I have not made any secret that I don't think he is the best fit however just as I can disagree with Jarland the Administrator it has absolutely no bearing on Jarland as a friend, the two are quite separate.

In the same manner I am sure that Ishaq is a good guy overall.

I guess I can separate the two elements, many can't.

Thanked by 1jar

• @trewq said:

@rm_ said:

raindog308 said: You seem to be having a bad day...? You're not usually so aggressive.

Sorry, but it doesn't make a good day seeing a place that I like and enjoy since 2011 being over-flooded with junk and noise in every thread, and rapidly going down in quality while people who are supposed to watch over this just cheering and not trying to stop that. If you want to discuss then let's continue in the corresponding thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2158827/#Comment_2158827

In my opinion the quality has increased. We treat everyone as if we have known them for years, we throw shit and expect it back, we're here to have fun and learn from each other. If that's not a community I don't know what is.

I'm sad that you think otherwise, you've contributed a decent amount to the community and I would want to address your concerns before they reach critical mass.

... only to find that a large number of users have been here for years. (ps. no one on LET has a life, jkjkjk!)

• WSSWSS Member

I have a complaint about the abelist nature of this forum.

I clicked "Post Comment", and I received an error message of "Body is required."

Being of person born without the constraints of a torso, I am highly offended!

Thanked by 2doghouch Claverhouse

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

Added a rule about posting in English, as mods can't moderate posts they can't read.

Over the past few months we have been met with many challenges within the moderation business. Some that have not been overcome.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

Any chance of a rule about sneaker proxies?

• raindog308raindog308 Moderator

Nekki said: Any chance of a rule about sneaker proxies?

I snuck it into the White Hat section a while back:

"Just to be clear - that list of subjects includes traffic exchange, botnets, subnets so you can barrage sneaker companies in search of the latest tennis shoes, as well as anything that might cause headaches for a hosting provider."

Thanked by 1Nekki

Added rule about all commercial IP related posts to only be posted in THE AIO IP Related Thread. (IPv4 + IPv6 + ASN) thread.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
    • I'd personally like to question the moderation team of LET

Thanked by 1raindog308

Yeah, I have memes. Not much else. Links are affiliate links