Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom .iso VPS in USA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom .iso VPS in USA

edited February 2018 in Providers

Hello all. I am planning to move my websites from a shared host to a VPS. I need a provider that will allow me to use a custom .iso for the OS install. I am currently looking at contabo which seems to have pretty good pricing for their SSD offering but the datacenters are in Germany. So anyhow, can I get something similar in the US for the same or lower price? Specs on their offer below. $10 or less would be killer!

8.99 € per month ~ $11
4 cores (Intel Xeon E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor)
12 GB guaranteed! RAM
300 GB SSD storage
unlimited 100 Mbps network
1 IP address

Thanked by 1sureiam

Comments

• It's contabo so no, not really. They have some of the cheapest pricing around and very mixed reviews from what I've seen.

• Hmm, it was recommended to me by a vendor for an app we use at work. Well if the reviews on contabo aren't good I am open to other possibilities. If the cost goes up a bit that's not a dealbreaker. Location and custom .ISO support are more important than a few bucks. I could go up to $15 a month if necessary.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

You won't get that anywhere near U.S.

• Add another zero to that, and you're in the realm of possibility.

Thanked by 2Aidan vovler
  • I found a provider out of Dallas that offers something close (4 cores, 20GB RAM but only 60GB of SSD storage) for $15. Was hoping for a deal.

• Buy something and Colocate it.

• Contabo = lol.

Vultr supports custom isos and I think BuyVM does too. Probably others as well but those are the two that immediately come to mind. Both are way more expensive than that fairydust Contabo that you posted, but they will work a lot better.

• @gleamingthecube said:
    I found a provider out of Dallas that offers something close (4 cores, 20GB RAM but only 60GB of SSD storage) for $15. Was hoping for a deal.

Be careful with the extra cheap deals for production stuff. You are going to regret too soon.

• I am looking at buyvm and ovh. Seeing the prices for all other VPS providers, contabo does seem to good to be true. I hear they use some kind of memory and storage compression to get super high user density? Anyhow, thanks for the feedback folks.

• I think Wishosting support upload iso @exception0x876. They have plan in LA with 4vcore 16GB RAM, 80GB SSD for US$16

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited February 2018

Do you really need that much memory and cpu cores? Have you done any testing or previous expensive with a VPS? I ask only because you could probably find that with 4gb ram. 2 vcore. 300gb storage and 3tb+ 1000gbps or 10-30tb at 100mbps.

You would be surprised on efficient Linux can be with web services when optimized.

• edited February 2018

@sureiam said:
    Do you really need that much memory and cpu cores?

No, I probably don't need that much power. Contabo was recommended to me so I was just trying to find something comparable. A 4GB slice on buyvm would work just fine I think, that's within my budget, but they are all sold out. I guess I will keep looking.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I see you're looking at BuyVM and OVH. Stop your search there, pick one of those. May I suggest BuyVM because @Francisco is amazing.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    I see you're looking at BuyVM and OVH. Stop your search there, pick one of those. May I suggest BuyVM because @Francisco is amazing.

Thanks sir.

We don't have an auto ISO uploader at the moment, but maybe in the future.

For now you can ticket and I'll get it loaded.

Francisco

• So @Francisco do you have any availability? I tried to sign up but it seems you are all sold out atm? Any plans to expand capacity anytime soon?

@gleamingthecube said:
    So @Francisco do you have any availability? I tried to sign up but it seems you are all sold out atm? Any plans to expand capacity anytime soon?

Tomorrow we'll have no-pays get cancelled so you can try then.

I'm not within your price/wants though, keep that in mind.

Francisco

• edited February 2018

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Thanks, I don't really need all that, that was just a starting point since that's what was recommended to me. I just need to host about 10 low traffic WP sites for less than $20 a month. One of your 4 GB slices is perfect for that, yea?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@gleamingthecube said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Thanks, I don't really need all that, that was just a starting point since that's what was recommended to me. I just need to host about 10 low traffic WP sites for less than $20 a month. One of your 4 GB slices is perfect for that, yea?

As long as you don't do that whole "80 plugins per installation" thing ;)

Thanked by 1Francisco

gleamingthecube said: Thanks, I don't really need all that, that was just a starting point since that's what was recommended to me. I just need to host about 10 low traffic WP sites for less than $20 a month. One of your 4 GB slices is perfect for that, yea?

If you're doing it all hand built? For sure.

If you use something like SuperCache + NGINX, it'll fly off the screen.

I got a few managed customers that do adult content with that setup and if it wasn't for that, they'd need some 30 - 40 thread box to keep up with the PHP calls.

Francisco

Thanked by 1sin
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited February 2018

@jarland said:

I couldn't contact them because their contact us form was bugged. So I messaged Francisco here about the bug. Got my other questions answered within minutes too. +1

Thanked by 2jar Francisco
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

BuyVM would absolutely be the better choice. Look at Centminmod for ez nginx setup, has extras for WP.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco said:

gleamingthecube said: Thanks, I don't really need all that, that was just a starting point since that's what was recommended to me. I just need to host about 10 low traffic WP sites for less than $20 a month. One of your 4 GB slices is perfect for that, yea?

If you're doing it all hand built? For sure.

If you use something like SuperCache + NGINX, it'll fly off the screen.

I got a few managed customers that do adult content with that setup and if it wasn't for that, they'd need some 30 - 40 thread box to keep up with the PHP calls.

Francisco

KeyCDN's Cache enabler performs far better than Supercache from my testing

vovler said: KeyCDN's Cache enabler performs far better than Supercache from my testing

Maybe it does :)

I personally like Supercache since it's all simple enough static .html files that I can use a try_files on to serve things. Since the client never has anyone logging in and no comments being made, everyone is a guest and gets served out of the cache.

Francisco

• sinsin Member
    edited February 2018

Francisco said: If you use something like SuperCache + NGINX, it'll fly off the screen.

That's funny because that is exactly what I do with ALL of my Adult sites :-) with Nginx + Supercache on Wordpress there's very little load at all even with tons of Wordpress installs running.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

vovler said: KeyCDN's Cache enabler performs far better than Supercache from my testing

Maybe it does :)

I personally like Supercache since it's all simple enough static .html files that I can use a try_files on to serve things. Since the client never has anyone logging in and no comments being made, everyone is a guest and gets served out of the cache.

Francisco

If content doesn't update often then any static file caching plugin will work well. Nginx + Redis +nginxhelper plugin for sites that update fairly regularly is my goto combo at the moment though, hasn't failed me yet.

• We offer a custom ISO feature. We can work out a deal in Miami. PM to discuss.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

If you're still looking, I could do something out of our Winnipeg datacenter: 4GB RAM/100GB HDD (or 50GB SSD)/10TB@100mbps for $10/mo. We do support custom ISOs (although no ability for customer uploads yet, send me a link and I can add it for you) and full console access.