Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Kubernetes Management Tool?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Kubernetes Management Tool?

I’m trying to set up a Kubernetes cluster on AWS, still new to this area yet. Interestingly I’ve found heaps of tools to manage the cluster such as Kops and Kubeadm. Alternative way is to use some CloudFormation templates to build the cluster automatically.

The cluster is expected to be production ready so I really want to be on the right track at the very beginning. Any suggestion on how to create and manage the k8s environment in a nice way, and any reference materials (except kubernetes.io as I found it’s a little bit overwhelming)?

Cheers

Comments

• K8S is overwhelming and a moving target. news at 11.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Rancher 2.0 is an easy UI on top of Kubernetes. You can try that

Thanked by 2vimalware WSS
  • @jimaek said:
    Rancher 2.0 is an easy UI on top of Kubernetes. You can try that

How come I missed this tool :) Will set up Docker and give it a try!

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Rancher +1

• Just curious what are you trying to do? If you are just tinkering/learning, it's fine. But way too many people have been sold on the k8s kool-aid :-) I recommend managed kubernetes like openshift, google cloud if that is an option.

• @sarah said:
    Just curious what are you trying to do? If you are just tinkering/learning, it's fine. But way too many people have been sold on the k8s kool-aid :-) I recommend managed kubernetes like openshift, google cloud if that is an option.

The scenario is I have some backend API and microservices. Most of them are containerised in Docker, and I’m trying to find a way to automatically monitor the system (restart if it’s dead), scale up/down according to demand/system metrics etc... maybe k8s is overkill?

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited February 2018

Rancher 1.x was good, I have no doubt Rancher 2.x is going to be as well, but atm its not production ready. It entered beta like a week ago and theres still much missing.

• If it's like under 10 nodes, try docker swarm. It works very well for small scale setups.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @sarah said:
    If it's like under 10 nodes, try docker swarm. It works very well for small scale setups.

Yes we don't have too many nodes, 10-15 at most (for now). There're some debates between k8s and swarm, both of them got pros and cons and that's where I'm unsure about.

• Yeah, I would definitely do swarm for that. Also, see https://www.portainer.io/

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • If you're looking for a middle ground between K8s and Swarm, take a look at Nomad. Pretty awesome.

• We also want to integrate the system with CI/CD tools like Bamboo and Jenkins. Would love to automate everything :)

• Docker swarm, mesos, and all of the other orchestration tools have fallen to the all mighty K8's those that tell you to use docker swarm are just telling you to waste your time on a dead-end technology.

Every single major cloud company has aligned towards developing k8's solutions even AWS.

@GreenVine you are in for a big surprise because K8's is nothing like what any other tools you've played with. There isn't just a simple installation procedure that will give you everything you need, at some point after day-1 you are going to have to get dirty and go beyond basic kubectl.

I can get a simple Kubernetes cluster up and going with Typhoon, but I'm having problems with the digitalocean-cloud-controller. As you might know, a k8's cluster by default is firewalled from the outside, and can only be locally. To allow outside access you need to create an ingress controller and attach it to a service, this is done by technically using a load balancer IP.

I'm having problems here trying to get the official digitalocean-cloud-controller to work properly for a toy service to make sure it works.

k8's is literally the hardest piece of technology I have ever attempted of using. I have been reading probably for about 30 hours the docs, and doing tons of research. The basic things are finally sinking in, but is a lot to take in.

@Sarah with all due respect Openshift is like $50 bucks a month for 2gb and 2 cores , do you seriously think people from LET are going to pay for that shit? Even after how dirty they did their previous customers on V2 giving them 30 days to pay up for V3 or get the fuck out.

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited February 2018

@GreenVine said:
    I’m trying to set up a Kubernetes cluster on AWS, still new to this area yet. Interestingly I’ve found heaps of tools to manage the cluster such as Kops and Kubeadm. Alternative way is to use some CloudFormation templates to build the cluster automatically.

I know that kubeadm is not production ready, but why don't you use kops? It works pretty good here and it claim that it is production ready

• @akhfa said:

@GreenVine said:

I know that kubeadm is not production ready, but why don't you use kops? It works pretty good here and it claim that it is production ready

This! If you are on the slack channel then you will see that the majority of users are deploying k8's on AWS using kops. Even though, GCE was the first supported platform, a lot more users are on AWS.

I personally want to get it running on DigitalOcean, as that's my go-to platform.

• @akhfa said:

@GreenVine said:

Kops is actually my first attempt on setting this up on AWS :) I am ok with managing everything through terminal, but ideally I want all config files in Git.

I didn’t go with AWS’s elastic load balancer coz it’s costly, so now I’m struggling on setting up an ingress with automatically retrieving certs from Lets Encrypt

• Perhaps something like EKS (or the competing equivalents GKE and AKS) would be a good option.

• @GreenVine said:

@akhfa said:

@GreenVine said:

Kops is actually my first attempt on setting this up on AWS :) I am ok with managing everything through terminal, but ideally I want all config files in Git.

I didn’t go with AWS’s elastic load balancer coz it’s costly, so now I’m struggling on setting up an ingress with automatically retrieving certs from Lets Encrypt

With all “auto healing” feature set up by kops and all integrated cloud feature out of the box, you save a lot of time :)

And I think you can export config file generated by kops and commit to git. You can create CI CD to sync git with s3, and then run kops update cluster :)

• @Detruire said:
    Perhaps something like EKS (or the competing equivalents GKE and AKS) would be a good option.

I did request a EKS preview, looks like they are busy catering large businesses' requests :)

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    Docker swarm, mesos, and all of the other orchestration tools have fallen to the all mighty K8's those that tell you to use docker swarm are just telling you to waste your time on a dead-end technology.

Every single major cloud company has aligned towards developing k8's solutions even AWS.

@GreenVine you are in for a big surprise because K8's is nothing like what any other tools you've played with. There isn't just a simple installation procedure that will give you everything you need, at some point after day-1 you are going to have to get dirty and go beyond basic kubectl.

Thanks :) I don’t mind to get hands dirty, but really I have spent hours and days reading the docs, still quite confusing unfortunately.

I’m looking for something that’s similar to Rancher solution, which I can do general / operational management with fancy UI, but I can also dive into terminal if a complex set up is required. Looks like Rancher is capable doing this.

Would you recommend to spend more hours on just studying writing those yaml files, or just get an UI setup and connect to the cluster? It meant to be production ready in the future though :)

• Thanks :) I don’t mind to get hands dirty, but really I have spent hours and days reading the docs, still quite confusing unfortunately.

That's exactly what I'm saying, I have spent hours and days as well reading the docs. At least 40 hours in the past 2 weeks, and things are still super confusing. I've

I’m looking for something that’s similar to Rancher solution, which I can do general / operational management with fancy UI, but I can also dive into terminal if a complex set up is required. Looks like Rancher is capable doing this.

I'm waiting for Rancher 2.0 to come out to give it a try, meanwhile I will have to dwell deeper into k8's. Anyways good luck @GreenVine, just know that k8's knowledge will be really useful and marketable in the near future as there seems to be a small supply of domain experts in k8's.