Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Android) Tablet under 200€?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Android) Tablet under 200€?

So once more bothering you people as I'm looking for a tablet for "surfing" only.
It's for an older family member, browsing and a few youtube videos perhaps.
Should be below 200€, Android (as it's very straightforward and comfy to use) and 9" or larger display (because again, the person is older already and wants a bigger display).

Thought @Nekki FireTablet 10 would be a good catch, eh? MediaPad T3 from Huawei is supposedly a good pick as well but not too sure.. So any recommendations/tips?

Whether the display is super for watching flix/videos DOES NOT matter. It's really all about reading the news and a bit of browsing and most importantly the tablet to be a good & reliable pick.

Comments

• If you plan on ever using custom apps don't use amazon anything.

• @hzr said:
    If you plan on ever using custom apps don't use amazon anything.

This person won't. Just wants a tablet as newspaper subscriptions have been canceled and wants to still browse the news at breakfast/tea time on a "bigger screen" than a phone without using a laptop.

• The 10 inch Fire HD gets really good reviews. Have you considered picking up something on ebay? I love my Sony Xperia Z4 tablets, its really light and has a great screen.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Yeah, one of the Fires would be good for that then. During xmas here the high end high res big ones here are still 100USD or less.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I don’t have a Fire 10 HD personally, but I have no reason to believe that it’s any less capable and value for money than the 8.

Thanked by 2Ympker netomx
  • Wow, scrap the z4... It's so much more expensive than I was expecting! You might be able to pick up a pixel c

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @hzr said:
    Yeah, one of the Fires would be good for that then. During xmas here the high end high res big ones here are still 100USD or less.

Sweet. Thanks :)

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited February 2018

Used $44.99 --- Like New when you receive it.. Works great for surfing...

Fire HD 8 Tablet with Alexa, 8" HD Display, 16 GB, Black - with Special Offers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01J94SWWU/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1518120668&sr=8-2&keywords=fire

• My list so far:

@ljseals said:
    Used $44.99 --- Like New when you receive it.. Works great for surfing...

Fire HD 8 Tablet with Alexa, 8" HD Display, 16 GB, Black - with Special Offers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01J94SWWU/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1518120668&sr=8-2&keywords=fire

10" or almost 10 is a must sorry :P

• Can't say anything about the 10 inch Huawei but both my daughter and wife have the 7 inch versions they use them constantly lots of abuse yet they are still working fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Samsung Tab A is a very good machine. I have had one for awhile, then gave it to the wife after her P.O.S. Elypsis took a crap. She loves it and keeps telling me she gets it in the divorce.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2018

@Nekki Ordered a Fire HD 10 :P Should be a good choice I guess^^

Given that it uses Fire OS or an Amazon Android derivation are still most apps that are on available on android available or are there any heavy restrictions?

• @Ympker said:

I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Just saw that Amazon uses its' own AppStore but seems like one can still install firefox/chrome via apk by allowing unknown sources in the setting (without even rooting the tablet)

• @Ympker said:

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Just saw that Amazon uses its' own AppStore but seems like one can still install firefox/chrome via apk by allowing unknown sources in the setting (without even rooting the tablet)

Yeah, so long as you trust the source of the .apk that works fine, I’ve done it for plenty of apps in the past.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • You can install the entire Google Play subsystem even without root, you know.

• @Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Yeah, so long as you trust the source of the .apk that works fine, I’ve done it for plenty of apps in the past.

I guess I'd use firefox official nightly apk from their website or apkmirror.

@WSS Just installing Google Play Services I guess?

• @Ympker said:
    @WSS Just installing Google Play Services I guess?

Several packages, and you need to get versions which play well together.

https://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/ has known good revisions of the tool; change for your DPI as required, and let them update.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for this thread, just remembered the last one and got that amazon voucher out, Fire HD 8 + case on its way :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2018

What's the largest storage you can get on a tablet? I have a secondary PC (with an E5 cpu...) that primarily plays stuff. The thing's pretty big and it'd be nice to save some space.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Thanks for this thread, just remembered the last one and got that amazon voucher out, Fire HD 8 + case on its way :)

Your welcome :P

• deank said: What's the largest storage you can get on a tablet? I have a secondary PC (with an E5 cpu...) that primarily plays stuff. The thing's pretty big and it'd be nice to save some space.

Most will take a 128GB MicroSD these days, some 256GB.

Thanked by 1deank
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Looks like the Fire HD 8 is on sale for $20 off today... hmm. Don't really need one though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AnthonySmith said: Thanks for this thread, just remembered the last one and got that amazon voucher out, Fire HD 8 + case on its way :)

Those 8's are a bargain at today's price.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Guys is this any good or rather buy fire ?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFVYSMK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_PIgGAb794MYYP?th=1

In case of fire id go with 10 with 64

• Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 T580 16GB

its under 200 €/$

• Why don't you mind buying a cheap chinese tablet? It's probably a quarter of the price you're planning to pay.

• erkin said: Why don't you mind buying a cheap chinese tablet? It's probably a quarter of the price you're planning to pay.

Because most of them are complete dogshit.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • erkinerkin Member
    edited February 2018

@Nekki said:
    Because most of them are complete dogshit.

Yes that may be true, and again some of them are not. ;-)
    I remember a topic here about Xiaomi's Mi something smartphone, and there said at least a few good words about it afair.