Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPad - Houstan Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPad - Houstan Review

StellaEVStellaEV Member
edited September 2013 in Reviews

Ive had this VPS since September 6th (from http://lowendbox.com/blog/urpad-24year-1024mb-openvz-in-houston-texas/).
Specs:**
CPUs: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz (4 in the VPS)
RAM: 1GB
Disk: 60GB

I have been a fan of URPad for a while now, but their houstan service seems to be a bit troublesome...

A while into using the VPS, I started noticing extremely low upload rates, with the top speed around 100-500kb/s. I didn't mind at the time - I was using the VM only for testing custom Ubuntu packages from my PPA. A week or so later, I accidentally hosed the VM (yay for typo in postinit script), and needed a reinstall.

To my surprise, Ubuntu 12.04 x64 had vanished from the install list! I couldn't use 32-bit because that I was using it to specifically test 64bit apps before I pushed them out to my main Ubuntu PPA

So I went and sent in a ticket... (see images below)
http://dl.sandydprod.net/public.php?service=files&t=f4cc81660933c2443c5320f6ac97a3bf
http://dl.sandydprod.net/public.php?service=files&t=e69df088765fbc71f8e37f78556f43f9

In the end, I really didn't have any more time to deal with the issues anymore, and was forced to move to another VPS provider.

Comments

• I am surprised, given this is your first post and your girl avatar I thought this was a paid fiverr review! But glad to see some negativity!

• The speed thing is true though. I don't plan on renewing either because the server's upload speed is slower than my the upload speed on my home DSL connection.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited September 2013

@StellaEV said:
    A while into using the VPS, I started noticing extremely low upload rates, with the top speed around 100-500kb/s.

Did you submit a ticket for the speed issue? This is the first complaint we have herd about the speeds.

@black said:
    The speed thing is true though. I don't plan on renewing either because the server's upload speed is slower than my the upload speed on my home DSL connection.

Same goes with you. We haven't had any complaints about this before and don't seem to see any tickets about it. If you could submit a ticket if you already haven't done so and send me the ticket ID I will gladly have someone look into that for you.

• @Chris Miller said:
    Same goes with you. We haven't had any complaints about this before and don't seem to see any tickets about it. If you could submit a ticket if you already haven't done so and send me the ticket ID I will gladly have someone look into that for you.

I'm surprised no one has complained about this. It also seems like the node isn't actively monitored in terms of bandwidth usage. After a couple of days with < 1 Mbps connection, I sort of just gave up and didn't bother with it anymore and decided to not renew because I had previous issues with the container. Don't get me wrong, my urpad VM in California was great, but ever since root level tech took over and I moved to houston, it was a steep hill downward.

• @black said:
    I'm surprised no one has complained about this. It also seems like the node isn't actively monitored in terms of bandwidth usage. After a couple of days with < 1 Mbps connection, I sort of just gave up and didn't bother with it anymore and decided to not renew because I had previous issues with the container. Don't get me wrong, my urpad VM in California was great, but ever since root level tech took over and I moved to houston, it was a steep hill downward.

Everything is monitored closely we haven't had any indication that anything was wrong from our system and or customers such as yourself until now.

Just an update we are looking into it now.

edited September 2013

Another update: Eric and Jason are currently headed to the Houston datacenter to swap out a switch which appears to be problematic. With a much better switch which will resolve the issues you are experiencing.

edited September 2013

Update #3: Eric and Jason are now at the Houston datacenter if you want to see some images taken during the swapping of the switch you may view them here:

http://imgur.com/a/dw5bD#0

• StellaEVStellaEV Member
    edited September 2013

@Chris Miller - When you get some time, can you look at # LCV-263-10921 as well - Im afraid ive quite given up on explaning that the 12.04 x64 template doesn't seem to exist in solusvm to whoever is answering my ticket

• @Chris Miller I hate to agree, but my Seattle VPS is sluggish as well. Here are the speed results:

[root@sea ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 1995.047 MHz Total amount of ram : 1024 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 5 days, 6:43, Download speed from CacheFly: 11.3MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.25MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.76MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 8.12MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.19MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.31MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.1MB/s I/O speed : 51.0 MB/s

That is one of the 728mb $18/yearly plans and I had it moved to Seattle. I also have one of the same plan in LA and it's speeds are twice as fast. Anything you can do about this?

edited September 2013

Well we just swapped a switch for no reason at 2am...!

IT WAS THIS DAMN CABLE!

You may view the rest of the pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/dw5bD#0

@StellaEV @Black Run your speed tests again! It did the trick! :)

• @Chris Miller said:
    Well we just swapped a switch for no reason at 2am...!

IT WAS THIS DAMN CABLE!

StellaEV Black Run your speed tests again! It did the trick! :)

And it looks like speeds are back up :)

Thanks!

• @StellaEV @Black

Email me at ( Chris @ rootleveltech.com ) your Shirt sizes and a address you can receive packages at. Since you brought this to our attention you will be getting some presents from us at RLT!

• Shirt ... presents ...

// checking speed... don't see any issue... :/
    // has CPU speed always been limited to 850MHz? Can't remember, haven't touched it for months since it hosts automated blogs. I'll just send a ticket instead.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited September 2013

I should do this to @Bluevm since their upload speed in Kansas is awful as well.

All of this because of a cable? just wow.

• Btw, if anyone wonders...
    New Speeds -> http://www.speedtest.net/result/2984475462.png

• > @StellaEV said:

Btw, if anyone wonders...
    New Speeds -> http://www.speedtest.net/result/2984475462.png

That's more like it :)

• blackblack Member
    edited September 2013

Looks good on my end as well.

@Chris Miller Thanks for the T-shirt offer but I have enough of them :D

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@black said:
    The speed thing is true though. I don't plan on renewing either because the server's upload speed is slower than my the upload speed on my home DSL connection.

Using speedtest.net on servers = bad. You know this.

@skybucks100 said:
    Chris Miller I hate to agree, but my Seattle VPS is sluggish as well. Here are the speed results:

[root@sea ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 1995.047 MHz Total amount of ram : 1024 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 5 days, 6:43, Download speed from CacheFly: 11.3MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.25MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 10.8MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.76MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 8.12MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.19MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.31MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.1MB/s I/O speed : 51.0 MB/s

That is one of the 728mb $18/yearly plans and I had it moved to Seattle. I also have one of the same plan in LA and it's speeds are twice as fast. Anything you can do about this?

How is any of that sluggish?

• The I/O is terrible on that report.. Average for me is 200+

root@backup:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 3501.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 768 MB Total amount of swap : 256 MB System uptime : 6 days, 23:30, Download speed from CacheFly: 13.4MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 23.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 29.9MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.90MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 8.06MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.96MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.23MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 44.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 62.9MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 17.6MB/s I/O speed : 243 MB/s

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2013

Another

:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz Number of cores : 4 CPU frequency : 2800.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 768 MB Total amount of swap : 256 MB System uptime : 5:38, Download speed from CacheFly: 15.0MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 24.3MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 42.0MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.62MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 7.97MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 8.33MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.07MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 41.4MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 61.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18.8MB/s I/O speed : 297 MB/s

Whilst I've had good experiences with UrPad, since selling out to RLT it's going down hill slowly..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Meh, sounds to me like they purchased a "sink or swim" swimming lesson. They'll get it right I'm sure.

• @jarland said:
    Using speedtest.net on servers = bad. You know this.

I usually don't use speedtest as my main source for bandwidth metrics, however the options are limited when it comes to testing the server's upload speed. I use various speedtest servers that are closest to the current VPS and try to find an average based on the different samples that were obtained.

• @jarland said:
    How is any of that sluggish?

No no not sluggish couldn't find the correct word, my LA VPS was faster to Seattle and that server is in Seattle just wondering why that was.